• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paris CDG to Paris Austerlitz?

cookie139

Hi there!

I need some advice! I will be landing in Pairs CDG at around 18:50 on September, 10 and I need to make a train connection from Paris Austerlitz to get to Biarritz at 22:48.

I wanna know how to quickly get to Paris Austerlitz in good time to board the train. I am not booking my tickets online but will do so once I reach Austerlitz. So, keeping in mind baggage collection, customs and finding my way towards the right terminal and reaching Austerlitz, will I make it in time?

Also, I need some hotel recommendations to stay for a night in Biarritz. Preferably cheap as possible and close to the train station so as to make the connection to Bayonne and onto St. Jean easily.

Please Help!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello,

You can take the RER into Paris from CdG and then change at Chatelet station for a Metro to Austerlitz.

The train from Austerlitz which you mention is a night train leaving at 22:48 which arrives at Biarritz on the next morning. You should be able to book this night train to Bayonne ,ie before Biarritz, where you can get the small train to SJPdP. On the night train you can have a couchette, ie a simple bunk, or a cheaper reclining chair. Let me know if you need further help.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino!

PS The night train arrives in Bayonne at 9:08 am Sunday September 11.

Thank you for your reply! :)

Yeah, I did check the train connection again and yes! it makes sense to get to Bayonne from Paris instead of getting off at Biarritz.

Can you tell me is it too difficult to find the Paris RER and then get off at Chatelet station and onto a metro for Austerlitz?? I am right now trying to get info about how the Paris RER works.. it seems they have five lines from A to E. Do you know which one I am supposed to take to get to Chatelet? And also, at the Paris RER, do I purchase ticket upto Chatelet and then purchase another one from Chatelet to Austerlitz? Or am I supposed to purchase a ticket for Austerlitz from Paris CDG itself??

This is my first time ever in Europe! and I have no idea how to make all these train connections! :(

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, cookie,

I think you've chosen a wonderful way to make a first time trip to Europe. Buen camino to you!

I'll defer to others who may be able to compare the bus with the metro/RER, but the way I have gone from Austerlitz to CDG is via Air France bus. The Air France bus is non-stop, stops right outside the terminal, no pickpockets, and tickets available on board. It takes about 45 minutes. Although the bus goes from CDG to Gare de Lyon, it's only a quick walk across the river, probably less than a km, from the stop outside Gare de Lyon to Austerlitz.

There's been a recent post on getting from CDG to Orly that had links to websites on the Air France bus, I've pasted one of the links someone gave, which shows the route and gives all info:
The bus from CDG to Gare de Lyon is #4.

http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/air-fran ... vice.htm#4

Good luck with this, Laurie

I agree that for simplicity sake you should take the Air France bus to Gare de Lyon. On Google maps you can preplot your walk down to the Seine and across to Gare d'Austerlitz. Good luck!

You have about 4 hours all told to make this connection. Allowing an hour and a half to clear the airport arrival procedures (maximum), and an hour and a half to make the transit, you have an hour at Austerlitz to buy your ticket and find your proper track and car. You can make it, but keep moving!

Here's the routing if you go by Metro:

1) CDG to Chatelet by RER-A (this leg takes about an hour)
2) Chatelet to St Michel Notre-Dame by RER-B
3) St Michel Notre-Dame to Gare d'Austerlitz by RER-C

You might consider the bus to Gare du Lyon and then a taxi to Austerlitz; that could be your fastest option.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Be WAY careful with your things at Gare Austerlitz and on the night trains south from there. Major professional thieving goes on there, keep your valueables ON YOUR PERSON, all the time.

Rebekah Scott said:
Be WAY careful with your things at Gare Austerlitz and on the night trains south from there. Major professional thieving goes on there, keep your valueables ON YOUR PERSON, all the time.

Hi

Do you have some evidence to back this up, I travel on this route regularly and will actually be making the journey next week again, but never have I once witnessed any thing unusual happening apart from the train nearly always running late.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Anecdotal and personal. Three pilgrims of the many I have known were relieved of their money and/or mobile phones in Austerlitz or on the train to Hendaya.

The last time I took that train I was robbed, too -- didn´t know all my money was taken til I got to Hendaya and went to buy my ticket onward. I am always VERY careful, so I know whoever did that was probably very good at his trade.

Reb.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back