• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paris CdG to SJPP

Kiwi Linda

Linda from Kapiti NZ
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May 2022)
Hi everyone
I am planning my first, and long awaited, pilgrimage on the CP route starting on Saturday 5th June. I have a flight from Brisbane arriving in to Paris CdG nice and early at 7.35am on Friday the 3 June. My question is what is the most efficient way of getting from there to StJ PDP? I was thinking maybe a flight from CdG to Biarritz or Pampalona so that I arrive in StJ PDP early enough to be able to start on the Camino the next morning. Any comments or hearing of your experiences would be most welcome to this newbie.
Thanks
Linda

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi everyone
I am planning my first, and long awaited, pilgrimage on the CP route starting on Saturday 5th June. I have a flight from Brisbane arriving in to Paris CdG nice and early at 7.35am on Friday the 3 June. My question is what is the most efficient way of getting from there to StJ PDP? I was thinking maybe a flight from CdG to Biarritz or Pampalona so that I arrive in StJ PDP early enough to be able to start on the Camino the next morning. Any comments or hearing of your experiences would be most welcome to this newbie.
Thanks
Linda
Linda,
Lucky you planning your first camino.
Check out www.Rome2Rio.com for various travel possibilities from Paris CdG to Saint Jean Pied de Port. Do remember that you will be tired after your long flight; take some time to really rest/sleep before you start to walk.
Happy planning and Buen camino.

Last edited:
Hi everyone
Thanks
Linda

I have tried a couple of options.

Fast Train (TGV) to Bayonne, and
Flight to Biarritz.

Both worked well.
I enjoyed the train more though.

Are you pressed for time?
If not, give yourself a day in Paris to get over the jet lag.
Who doesn't love Paris!

I come from Sydney, and wouldn't want to go right through to St Jean without a break to get some sleep.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Like Robo, I, too, have taken the high speed train from Paris to Bayonne and a second train on into SJPP. Arriving that early into Paris, you should be able to make train connections south either directly from CDG or from the Gare Montparnasse. But, connections can be tight and stressful particularly if your flight runs late. It’s very doable as I did on my first Camino. I got to SJPP in the late afternoon and starting across the Pyrenees the next morning. However, with an overnight flight and a full day of travel in France, it’s very tiring. Unless you’re very pressed for time, stay in Paris after arriving and head south the next day. Catch an early morning train, get to SJPP early in the afternoon, visit the Pilgrim’s Office, and enjoy a very pleasant French town in Basque country. If I made any particular mistake on my first Camino, it was that I went too quickly. Take an extra day getting to SJPP and take a couple rest days or at least short walking days along The Way. Don’t rush “your” Camino if you don’t have to. I think you’ll be glad that you spent a day in Paris.

In October last year I was delayed on my way to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and did not arrive before the pilgrims office closed. I went there the next morning to pick up my credencial when they opened at 7.30 and the friendly volunteer assured me that it was absolutely possible to start and still make it to Roncesvalles before the end of the day. I say this because, apart from any personal circumstances or tiredness, there is really no such thing as arriving too late to be able to start the next day.

Otherwise, because even if flying to Biarritz you'll still have to transfer to SJPP and because TGV trains are very fast, I think the difference between the two modes of transport is marginal and you should decide based on the specific times and prices of each option. But on balance, if I was already at CDG, I think personally I'd maybe choose to fly to Biarritz. The best of course would be to add the extra leg to your existing ticket, otherwise you will have to allow a little extra time to reduce the risk of missing the connection. But I think a midday flight could still work, making it possible to be in SJPP by mid-afternoon, still allowing some time either to rest or fight jet lag doing some sightseeing.

Hi everyone
Thanks
Linda
Hi Linda
I have taken the train from Paris Montparnasse station to Bayonne and changed trains there for St, Jean. I have also flown to Biarritz then got a bus from the airport to the station at Bayonne and then the train to St. Jean. The train is the more relaxing option. I guess a lot depends on your timings.
Buen Camino
Vince

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everyone
Thanks
Linda
I researched this a while back and am just now getting serious about locking in reservations, as they only take them beginning 8 weeks out (at least that's what someone told me in another discussion string). If my early research is still valid, there are fewer train options over the weekend, so if you are in a hurry to start, getting as far as you can on Friday is advisable. Fortunately for me, I am not in a hurry because I arrive on a Saturday (07MAY2022). Here's my current plan, but like I said train reservations won't be open for me until 12 May, so these are tentative plans.

SATURDAY 07MAY2022: Arrive 11:15 (AM)
  • 13:36 Terminal train (N CDG VAL) to Terminal 3 (Le Mesnel-Amelot) Arrive 14:40
  • RER B To Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse (Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse) 10 stops exit at Châtelet les Halles (Paris) Arrive 14:23
  • 14:30 Metro Line 4 To Mairie de Montrouge (Montrouge) 6 stops exit at Montparnasse Bienvenue: Arrive at 14:38
  • Stay overnight in Paris Montparnasse - numerous hotels within walking distance to Paris Montparnasse hall 1&2 (TGV train station)
SUNDAY 08MAY2022
  • 9:52 (AM) Depart Montparnasse to Bayonne (3h52m duration)
  • Since my private albergue is closed on Sundays (Beilari), I plan to overnight in Bayonne at a hotel near the train station and catch the first train/bus to SJPP.

Hi everyone
Thanks
Linda
Thanks for all the advice fellow pilgriims it has been most helpful :)

Hi Linda I fly to CDG on the 26th, staying overnight then catching the 8:40am flight to Biarritz. From there the shuttle straight to SJPDP.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Linda I fly to CDG on the 26th, staying overnight then catching the 8:40am flight to Biarritz. From there the shuttle straight to SJPDP.
Thanks for that. I've just changed my flights to allow me an extra week on the camino as I became concerned about having to rush after all the friendly advice above. So I now land in CdG on the 27th May. Are you arriving on the 26th?

I researched this a while back and am just now getting serious about locking in reservations, as they only take them beginning 8 weeks out (at least that's what someone told me in another discussion string). If my early research is still valid, there are fewer train options over the weekend, so if you are in a hurry to start, getting as far as you can on Friday is advisable. Fortunately for me, I am not in a hurry because I arrive on a Saturday (07MAY2022). Here's my current plan, but like I said train reservations won't be open for me until 12 May, so these are tentative plans.

• 13:36 Terminal train (N CDG VAL) to Terminal 3 (Le Mesnel-Amelot) Arrive 14:40
  • RER B To Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse (Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse) 10 stops exit at Châtelet les Halles (Paris) Arrive 14:23
  • 14:30 Metro Line 4 To Mairie de Montrouge (Montrouge) 6 stops exit at Montparnasse Bienvenue: Arrive at 14:38
  • Stay overnight in Paris Montparnasse - numerous hotels within walking distance to Paris Montparnasse hall 1&2 (TGV train station)
SUNDAY 08MAY2022
  • Since my private albergue is closed on Sundays (Beilari), I plan to overnight in Bayonne at a hotel near the train station and catch the first train/bus to SJPP.
Thanks for so much detail - very helpful for someone who is new to Paris and travelling alone :)

SUNDAY 08MAY2022
Do you mind me asking which website you used to book your train trip on - I am getting some silly results on the websites I've looked at so far. Thanks Linda

Both www.thetrainline.com and www.raileurope.com will take your credit card. You might be a little bit early to be booking trains for late May just yet. If you want a sense of prices, try an earlier date.....it will be the same schedule and prices later. Also, I don't get off the RER-B and transfer to the metro, although you can. I stay on the RER and get off at Denfert-Rochereau. Its a few more blocks of walking.......but you ARE a pilgrim.

In 2016, I arrived early morning at CDG from Australia Via Singapore. Immigration had long queues but as I had no forward transport booked there was no panic. With help from the information desk and a friendly local, I caught the terminal train to the domestic (?) terminal. There I purchased a ticket to Bayonne, first class on recommendation from ticket sales. A wonderful trip in a vintage, wood panelled carriage. Needed to change trains in Bordeaux. In Bayonne, stayed in a hotel, I had booked, across from the station. Bayonne is a lovely town. Next morning took a train to SJPdP where I spent two nights in Gite Ultrea (prebooked) before setting out. Spontaneous booking may be more expensive but it is how I approach travel. Once on the way, I changed my return flight so that I could finish my walk without the stress. I was travelling solo at 71. It’s not difficult but probably more expensive.

I think that means we'll miss each other by one day. I am thinking of taking the train down to Bayonne on the day I fly in, the 27th, as I get there at 7.30am and I think there should be plenty of time to do that. I will stay the night in Bayonnne then take the train to SJPDP the next morning and stay Saturday night there - starting my camino on Sunday morning hopefully reasonably refreshed. So it looks like we may be heading off a day apart but hopefully we will bump into each other - I don't think a day on the Camino means much. Do you go by the name of Fluffy? And what country are you from?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Both www.thetrainline.com and www.raileurope.com will take your credit card. You might be a little bit early to be booking trains for late May just yet. If you want a sense of prices, try an earlier date.....it will be the same schedule and prices later. Also, I don't get off the RER-B and transfer to the metro, although you can. I stay on the RER and get off at Denfert-Rochereau. Its a few more blocks of walking.......but you ARE a pilgrim.
Thanks Rick I did try put earlier dates in and they were a lot cheaper. So I will wait a few weeks before investigating the rail options again.

In 2016, I arrived early morning at CDG from Australia Via Singapore. Immigration had long queues but as I had no forward transport booked there was no panic. With help from the information desk and a friendly local, I caught the terminal train to the domestic (?) terminal. There I purchased a ticket to Bayonne, first class on recommendation from ticket sales. A wonderful trip in a vintage, wood panelled carriage. Needed to change trains in Bordeaux. In Bayonne, stayed in a hotel, I had booked, across from the station. Bayonne is a lovely town. Next morning took a train to SJPdP where I spent two nights in Gite Ultrea (prebooked) before setting out. Spontaneous booking may be more expensive but it is how I approach travel. Once on the way, I changed my return flight so that I could finish my walk without the stress. I was travelling solo at 71. It’s not difficult but probably more expensive.
Good to know Myra thanks - I think I may well follow in your footsteps as I am also coming into Paris from Australia and land nice and early. Do you remember where you stayed in Bayonne?

Good to know Myra thanks - I think I may well follow in your footsteps as I am also coming into Paris from Australia and land nice and early. Do you remember where you stayed in Bayonne?
Have sent an email with more details. Stayed Hotel de La Gare.
Camino Baztan on the Gronze website gives suggestions for accommodation in Bayonne. In 2022, think I would choose another place to spend the night.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone
Thanks
Linda
if you’re feeling up to it after your long flight from the antipodes , the direct TGV train from Paris CDG to Bayonne via Bordeaux is the way to go ... very straight-forward ... from Bayonne you can take the local train or bus to StJPP ... I understand that the train is not running from Bayonne while track repairs / upgrades are undertaken so you are likely to find it is a bus

Attachments

• 921DC645-E179-40B3-B008-BFA8710E80DB.png
    921DC645-E179-40B3-B008-BFA8710E80DB.png
    240 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice fellow pilgriims it has been most helpful :)
Here’s what the direct teain journey looks like for Friday 3 June ... super-easy and takes the stress out of travelling across Paris to Gare Montparnasse ... just make sure that you have a good book to read 📖OR lots of music 🎶

from a fellow aussie who has made this journey several times 🦘🦘🦘

Attachments

• C9973BC1-1396-4DEE-8B72-1329148DB71B.png
    C9973BC1-1396-4DEE-8B72-1329148DB71B.png
    240 KB · Views: 25
Here’s what the direct teain journey looks like for Friday 3 June ... super-easy and takes the stress out of travelling across Paris to Gare Montparnasse ... just make sure that you have a good book to read 📖OR lots of music 🎶

from a fellow aussie who has made this journey several times 🦘🦘🦘
That does look straight forward :) are you able to tell me what website you were on there? Thanks Linda

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That does look straight forward :) are you able to tell me what website you were on there? Thanks Linda
I use the «SNCF Connect» app that you can download to your smartphone ... it also gives you real-time updates ... and you can buy your ticket/s direct in the app ... at the same time, if you are over the magic age of 60 you can purchase the Seniors discount card that will give you a 30% discount on the ticket

I use the «SNCF Connect» app that you can download to your smartphone ... it also gives you real-time updates ... and you can buy your ticket/s direct in the app ... at the same time, if you are over the magic age of 60 you can purchase the Seniors discount card that will give you a 30% discount on the ticket
I am indeed over 60 so knowing about the seniors card will be a big plus. I will get busy and download that app. Thanks so much for all the helpful information.

I am indeed over 60 so knowing about the seniors card will be a big plus. I will get busy and download that app. Thanks so much for all the helpful information.
Here is an example of a journey for Friday 27 May :

Attachments

• 6F8828B2-7EC8-4E74-A8AB-0CA862A0A114.png
    6F8828B2-7EC8-4E74-A8AB-0CA862A0A114.png
    223.7 KB · Views: 16
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm not doing so well finding where in the app I go to buy a ticket or get the discount card? It only seems to be giving me the option of importing one not actually purchasing it. Would you mind attaching a screen shot of the screen with the ticket option or maybe describe which options to tap into.

For some strange reason the app says I'm off-line which is why I can't look at purchasing a ticket. No idea why that would be as all my other apps are working fine. Maybe it will sort itself out tomorrow.

For some strange reason the app says I'm off-line which is why I can't look at purchasing a ticket. No idea why that would be as all my other apps are working fine. Maybe it will sort itself out tomorrow.
You might have to start by setting up your account ... bottom right corner when you launch the app ..

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm not doing so well finding where in the app I go to buy a ticket or get the discount card? It only seems to be giving me the option of importing one not actually purchasing it. Would you mind attaching a screen shot of the screen with the ticket option or maybe describe which options to tap into.
you start by selecting the trip option from the menu at the bottom ...

Attachments

• 31BBDB2B-9627-4D58-8FE1-915209DABC9F.png
    31BBDB2B-9627-4D58-8FE1-915209DABC9F.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 8
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do you mind me asking which website you used to book your train trip on - I am getting some silly results on the websites I've looked at so far. Thanks Linda
I actually booked by train ticket and seat assignment yesterday! I went directly to the SNCFconnect web site.: https://www.sncf.com/en. It was a bit confusing at first, but I somehow managed to get the ticket booked and a confirmation email with a QR link to a PDF with my QR code. The only problem I could not resolve was trying to set up a login profile with SNCF. I went through the steps and even got a confirmation link, but the link returned an "unauthorized link" error message. I tried 4 time (3 on the computer on 1 on my phone) and finally gave up. I really don't need it.

Thanks Rick I did try put earlier dates in and they were a lot cheaper. So I will wait a few weeks before investigating the rail options again.
FYI, SNF is taking reservations now at least as far out as May. I booked mine yesterday. I believe you said you were traveling in June, I did not check that far out.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
FYI, the Senior card costs extra (I seem to remember 42 Euro). I chose not to purchase it and got a moderate (10 Euro?) discount for being over 60 anyway. The card must give some extra perks but since I am flying back to Paris and plan no other train rides in France (other than to SJPP), I chose not to get the card.

I did mine on line rather than the app. You get the option of purchasing the card during checkout. Per the previous post, I chose not to pay the extra for the card.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did mine on line rather than the app. You get the option of purchasing the card during checkout. Per the previous post, I chose not to pay the extra for the card.
Thanks for that Jim. Most helpful. I tried deleting the app and reinstalling it but to no avail - still can't access ticket purchases, so I will do the same as you have done, sounds a little less frustrating. And I am travelling in May now as I bought my flights forward by a week to give myself more time on the Camino. Now arriving into Paris on the 27th May nice and early at 7.35am. So planning to take the train straight to Bayonne from CdG.
Buen Camino

Sorry everyone - one last question. When I type Charles de Gaulle iin on my search in SNCF I get lots of options. I am flying into terminal 2E. There are two options for the airport 1 or T2. Does anyone know which one I should choose?

Many thanks once again for all the assistance - its been invaluable.

Sorry everyone - one last question. When I type Charles de Gaulle iin on my search in SNCF I get lots of options. I am flying into terminal 2E. There are two options for the airport 1 or T2. Does anyone know which one I should choose?

Finally was able to bring up SNCF on my computer and got it working fine - only issue now is there is only one train going per day and that is at 8.10am which is too tight. Back to the drawing board. Maybe need to find my way to Montparnasse after all.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I actually booked by train ticket and seat assignment yesterday! I went directly to the SNCFconnect web site.: https://www.sncf.com/en. It was a bit confusing at first, but I somehow managed to get the ticket booked and a confirmation email with a QR link to a PDF with my QR code. The only problem I could not resolve was trying to set up a login profile with SNCF. I went through the steps and even got a confirmation link, but the link returned an "unauthorized link" error message. I tried 4 time (3 on the computer on 1 on my phone) and finally gave up. I really don't need it.
Which station did you book as departure Jim and for which month? I'm not getting any feasible results even from Montparnasse on the Saturday 28th May. There is only one train showing up and it leaves at 10pm and arrives at 2.59am :-( . Maybe I just need to wait a few weeks like someone above suggested.

:-( . Maybe I just need to wait a few weeks like someone above suggested.
Breathe into a paper bag for a week or so. It will all be fine.

Getting off a flight from NZ and heading anywhere other than a hotel for a night's sleep seems a little ambitious. The trains from CDG are not as frequent or convenient as the ones from Montparnasse. You might get lucky with a connection, but then you'd spend 24 flying hours wondering if you would make your connection. Don't try. Book a hotel in Paris, get a night's sleep, and you will find there are many trains per day to get you down south.

Which station did you book as departure Jim and for which month? I'm not getting any feasible results even from Montparnasse on the Saturday 28th May. There is only one train showing up and it leaves at 10pm and arrives at 2.59am :-( . Maybe I just need to wait a few weeks like someone above suggested.
My ticket from Montparnasse to Bayonne is on Sunday 8 May. I Tried just now using Sunday 22 May, and I come up with 5 train options, leaving at 12:11, 2:06, 4:11, 6:11, and 9:51 (all PM). See the screen capture below. The direct trains are all 3h52m in duration. Two of the options (2:06 and 9:51 have connections). I think your problem might be that the software defaults to what ever time you are using it and only displays train options that are after that time. So if you do this in the late day, you come up with fewer options. At the top of the secreen displaying your options, you should see a link that says "Display previous journeys", this will bring up all of the trains available for the day you selected. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 11
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You might get lucky with a connection, but then you'd spend 24 flying hours wondering if you would make your connection. Don't try. Book a hotel in Paris, get a night's sleep, and you will find there are many trains per day to get you down south.
Agree very much! I plan on 3 full nights sleep before starting my Camino: Paris (Montparnasse), Bayonee, and SJPP. I already have my Bayonee and SJPP accommodations booked and am searching for Montparnasse now. I tend to be pretty sensitive to time zone changes, so I want to be fully rested, plus I have no time constraints. I told my employer I'm going to be out all of May and June. They had no options but to say yes, otherwise I would retire 6 months earlier than planned.

I think your problem might be that the software defaults to what ever time you are using it and only displays train options that are after that time. So if you do this in the late day, you come up with fewer options. At the top of the secreen displaying your options, you should see a link that says "Display previous journeys", this will bring up all of the trains available for the day you selected. Hope this helps!

This is absolutely correct - I learned the hard way when I was trying to book my own Paris Montparnasse to Bayonne train tickets a few weeks ago. (Actually, the SNCF search system seems to default to the local time in France when you are searching, which makes things even more confusing if you don't happen to be searching for tickets while actually in France.)

In any case I searched the SNCF site for you for June 3 trains and they don't seem to be available for booking yet. (I was able to find schedules through Thursday 26 May, so maybe wait a week or so and try searching for June 3 tickets again - keeping in mind to adjust your search for the time you actually want to travel, or use the "Display Previous Journey" option in the search results as @CA_Pilgrim noted above.)

Update: Apparently tickets for June 3 are available now, though I couldn't find them when searching the SNCF site. See @Kathar1na's post below for more information.

. . .

For future reference, you can use Trainline.com to sign up for an email alert that will let you know as soon as the tickets for a particular day become available for purchase:

RailEurope offers a similar alert feature as well:

You can book the tickets on Trainline or RailEurope when you receive your alert, though you may save a few Euros by booking via the SNCF site directly. Given the vagaries of the SNCF site, however, especially for non-French speakers, the small Trainline or RailEurope surcharge might be worth the convenience.

Last edited:
Check out www.Rome2Rio.com for various travel possibilities from Paris CdG to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

Unfortunately Rome2Rio does not seem to be as comprehensive or accurate as it used to be. (I remember reading somewhere on here that it was recently acquired by another travel aggregator company and has been rendered less helpful as a result.) It's too bad, because it really was an invaluable resource and while it still shows many options when you're looking for a route between two places it's not as exhaustive as it once was.

For train journeys, RailEurope or Trainline are better options - and good old Google Flights is still the best resource for finding flights that I know of.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am only adding this comment to help future travelers who read this thread.
I have often wondered why so many pilgrims choose CDG for their arrival point, unless they have the intention of staying for a few days in Paris.
Depending on the season and your departure city there are flights daily to Bordeaux, admittedly many of them are not direct and usually involve a connection through Amsterdam but for few dollar/euros more you are almost on the doorstep of Bayonne and SJPdP. You will probably save a few hours of travel time, confusions and the hassles of getting across the city of Paris along with the cost of night in a hotel near Montparnasse Gare. There is a very good public bus service from BOD to the Saint-Jean station in Bordeaux. From there trains headed south leave quite often, at least more often than trains from Paris depart.
Another tip because I regularly travel from Florida, the airport in Miami has regular service to Bilbao, and I suspect there are other departure cities in the US to Bilbao. Bilbao is a hub of transportation for Pays Basque by rail and bus to a number of places to join the Camino or find your way easily to SJPdP.

It was so heart warming to wake this morning to so many helpful replies, I already feel I am part of the Camino community even though I'm yet to set foot on to it. I will read through all your replies again carefully and make a decision. Who'd have known that booking a train could be so difficult, much harder than any other booking so far. Bad timing on my part by the looks of things with me landing on a long weekend. I think I might well have to move my flights forward to earlier in the week if I want to go by train rather than fly. It's a once in a lifetime trip for me and I want to see as much as I can, hence the desire to travel by train. Once again thanks so much for all your help fellow pilgrims.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Breathe into a paper bag for a week or so. It will all be fine.

Getting off a flight from NZ and heading anywhere other than a hotel for a night's sleep seems a little ambitious. The trains from CDG are not as frequent or convenient as the ones from Montparnasse. You might get lucky with a connection, but then you'd spend 24 flying hours wondering if you would make your connection. Don't try. Book a hotel in Paris, get a night's sleep, and you will find there are many trains per day to get you down south.
I need two paper bags Rick - one with Camino written on it and the other one with Moving House on it. Am keen to get the Camino sorted so I can focus on the other. But I'll take your advice on board. Luckily I am flying to Brisbane for 2 nights before setting off to Paris - so just slightly less jet lag.

Agree very much! I plan on 3 full nights sleep before starting my Camino: Paris (Montparnasse), Bayonee, and SJPP. I already have my Bayonee and SJPP accommodations booked and am searching for Montparnasse now. I tend to be pretty sensitive to time zone changes, so I want to be fully rested, plus I have no time constraints. I told my employer I'm going to be out all of May and June. They had no options but to say yes, otherwise I would retire 6 months earlier than planned.
Sounds pretty sensible Jim. Looks like I may be going to follow in your footsteps.

I have often wondered why so many pilgrims choose CDG for their arrival point, unless they have the intention of staying for a few days in Paris.
Depending on the season and your departure city there are flights daily to Bordeaux, admittedly many of them are not direct and usually involve a connection through Amsterdam but for few dollar/euros more you are almost on the doorstep of Bayonne and SJPdP. You will probably save a few hours of travel time, confusions and the hassles of getting across the city of Paris along with the cost of night in a hotel near Montparnasse Gare. There is a very good public bus service from BOD to the Saint-Jean station in Bordeaux. From there trains headed south leave quite often, at least more often than trains from Paris depart.
Another tip because I regularly travel from Florida, the airport in Miami has regular service to Bilbao, and I suspect there are other departure cities in the US to Bilbao. Bilbao is a hub of transportation for Pays Basque by rail and bus to a number of places to join the Camino or find your way easily to SJPdP.
I chose to fly with Singapore airlines as they are offering the best fares at the moment and Paris was by far the cheapest option as a destination for some reason. Looked at Barcelona and Madrid but they were all a lot dearer. Then when you start adding provincial destinations the price sky rockets as do the travel times. I think it must be different coming in from Australasia than America by the sounds of things.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I chose to fly with Singapore airlines as they are offering the best fares at the moment and Paris was by far the cheapest option as a destination for some reason. Looked at Barcelona and Madrid but they were all a lot dearer. Then when you start adding provincial destinations the price sky rockets as do the travel times. I think it must be different coming in from Australasia than America by the sounds of things.

Twice I have flown Singapore Air and CDG is their airport in Paris. In an earlier post, I outlined how I travel by ”the seat of my pants” and book onward train travel on arrival but prebook accommodation. Once, I had to travel to Montparnasse when wanting to travel on to San Sebastián due to no trains available at CDG. Montparnasse is huge but I did it with the help of friendly locals. Only first class ticket available on the next train - expensive but I just gulped and went for it. A super fast train. In San Sebastián by 6.00pm.
Jet lag is not so much a problem flying east to west especially arriving early morning. Relax. You will get to Bayonne. Have a rest from the tech battle trying to book a ticket and try again later or just go and find a train on arrival - you will have all day but getting a cheap ticket won’t be an option.

Twice I have flown Singapore Air and CDG is their airport in Paris. In an earlier post, I outlined how I travel by ”the seat of my pants” and book onward train travel on arrival but prebook accommodation. Once, I had to travel to Montparnasse when wanting to travel on to San Sebastián due to no trains available at CDG. Montparnasse is huge but I did it with the help of friendly locals. Only first class ticket available on the next train - expensive but I just gulped and went for it. A super fast train. In San Sebastián by 6.00pm.
Jet lag is not so much a problem flying east to west especially arriving early morning. Relax. You will get to Bayonne. Have a rest from the tech battle trying to book a ticket and try again later or just go and find a train on arrival - you will have all day but getting a cheap ticket won’t be an option.
Thanks Myra I've just changed my flights for the 3rd time to avoid arriving ahead of a long weekend where it appears the trains won't be running on the route. So now arriving on the 23rd May and all looks fine with the trains.

T2

Finally was able to bring up SNCF on my computer and got it working fine - only issue now is there is only one train going per day and that is at 8.10am which is too tight. Back to the drawing board. Maybe need to find my way to Montparnasse after all.
I meant to post yesterday but I twas busy ... most of the fast TGV trains to Bayonne require a brief change at Bordeaux ... if you put Bordeaux as your destination you should find more options other than the 08h10 ... how are you getting on with the SNCF connect website??

I meant to post yesterday but I twas busy ... most of the fast TGV trains to Bayonne require a brief change at Bordeaux ... if you put Bordeaux as your destination you should find more options other than the 08h10 ... how are you getting on with the SNCF connect website??
Its still not very cooperative on my phone through the app but I had no issues booking online on my computer - it can't even find my booking so I can import it. All done now, bit complicated because I needed to change 2 flights, and two pre-reserved Hostel bookings but it will hopefully all work out now. I will stay in Montparnasse on Monday 23rd May and head down to SJPDP by train the next day. Thanks for all your help with this :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Its still not very cooperative on my phone through the app but I had no issues booking online on my computer - it can't even find my booking so I can import it. All done now, bit complicated because I needed to change 2 flights, and two pre-reserved Hostel bookings but it will hopefully all work out now. I will stay in Montparnasse on Monday 23rd May and head down to SJPDP by train the next day. Thanks for all your help with this :)
good luck! and bon chemin 👣👣👣 p.s. if you go to settings on your phone and scroll through your apps to SNCFconnecf you can change the language to english [as the default language] plus any other settings ... hopefully the app will work better for you then ... and you should find your ticket too 🤞

good luck! and bon chemin 👣👣👣 p.s. if you go to settings on your phone and scroll through your apps to SNCFconnecf you can change the language to english [as the default language] plus any other settings ... hopefully the app will work better for you then ... and you should find your ticket too 🤞
I may have to give it to someone a bit more tech savvy to achieve that - I did have a look in settings and found the app - but couldn't see any reference to language only location etc.

It came down to availability of and cost of flights for me at the time I booked. Paris was the obvious choice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Because of air links.

Those coming from the NA eastern coast have many possible gateways, lots of people chose Madrid. For everyone else, the logical choices of regular reliable air service to a gateway city, decline to London/Amsterdam/Frankfurt/Paris. Some are willing to take a connecting flight to get to a better gateway, some have no choice. For most though, taking a "straight shot" from where they live to the gateway is preferred. Jet lag is a thing. That means Paris makes the most sense. You get off a long flight, and you don't connect further south, you head for a bed. The TGV is a very attractive way to get to Bayonne, much easier than catching another flight.....unless you are willing to do all your flying in one day, and very lucky with your connections. Add to that the cost and frequency, and Paris becomes compelling.

Besides. Paris is the most visited city in the world. You get two marks on the bucket list in one trip.

Linda,
Lucky you planning your first camino.
Check out www.Rome2Rio.com for various travel possibilities from Paris CdG to Saint Jean Pied de Port. Do remember that you will be tired after your long flight; take some time to really rest/sleep before you start to walk.
Happy planning and Buen camino.
Consider flying to Biarritz which is then easy to get to your start.

I flew to Orly from Canada, feeder flight to Biarritz, bus to Bayonne and train to St Jean. I actually arrived late in the day but slept well and made it to Roncesvalles the first day - through snow!!
I hope it goes well - enjoy every minute.
Buen Camino!
Nancy from Canada 🇨🇦

Attachments

• D333684B-BCF4-4BB9-8964-BA311F0BF1CD.jpeg
    D333684B-BCF4-4BB9-8964-BA311F0BF1CD.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • E5F72EA0-49DD-4027-808B-A1CE99CCEAB9.jpeg
    E5F72EA0-49DD-4027-808B-A1CE99CCEAB9.jpeg
    852.4 KB · Views: 3
  • E4222797-FE2B-4C1E-8C4C-415232741E90.jpeg
    E4222797-FE2B-4C1E-8C4C-415232741E90.jpeg
    582.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 3CB15698-239A-4A0A-8C93-7FFD6A36B313.jpeg
    3CB15698-239A-4A0A-8C93-7FFD6A36B313.jpeg
    775.4 KB · Views: 5
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

SUNDAY 08MAY2022
This is very helpful information, thanks for posting. I'm new to this forum and now planning our first CF this year.

Hi everyone
Thanks
Linda

G'Day mate.
If you are flying direct (Singapore Airlines or Emirates) then I also recommend either a day in Paris or the train to St Jean. It is a little involved to get CDG to Gare Montparnasse. I did it via Gare de Nord back in 2017 and ended up opting for overnight in Paris and then get either 6.15am or the 7.15am (I think these were the times). If you do opt to go straight to St Jean then I will recommend two nights here. Its a pretty little town and worth the time, especially if you are going to follow the Napoleon Route. Cheers

G'Day mate.
If you are flying direct (Singapore Airlines or Emirates) then I also recommend either a day in Paris or the train to St Jean. It is a little involved to get CDG to Gare Montparnasse. I did it via Gare de Nord back in 2017 and ended up opting for overnight in Paris and then get either 6.15am or the 7.15am (I think these were the times). If you do opt to go straight to St Jean then I will recommend two nights here. Its a pretty little town and worth the time, especially if you are going to follow the Napoleon Route. Cheers
In this part of the world we say Kia Ora. But yes thanks for your message which reflects a lot of what others have said. I am definitely planning to take my time so I can start my Camino in a fresh state.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back