• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paris to bayonne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I highly recommend the DB Navigator (German Rail), it has schedules for trains throughout Europe, it’s easy to navigate and often has connections that are not shown on other sites. Very handy.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I booked one through ticket Paris - St Jean Pied de Port with transfer at Bayonne.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
SNCF, the French rail company doesn't release tickets for sale until two months before travel, though as others have stated above, the timetable itself changes very little. The tickets for the fast through trains (TGV - trains grand vitesse) are priced dynamically, like airfares, so popular routes and times cost more. It pays to book early, as soon as the tickets are released. From the US, you can use raileurope.com to transact in English and pay in dollars.
Should be roughly 50 US $ one way.
I thoroughly recommend travelling by train in Europe, it's a very civilised experience!

please tell me about your train from Paris to Bayonne

One quick thing to note: there are TWO St Jeans in the SW of France. St Jean Pres du Port vs St Jean de Luz. Do not get confused when you hear announcement on the train from Paris. Go to Bayonne. Then you get off and switch to a small two car tram like train for St Jean Pres du Port. Train stops in town, walk uphill to Albergues etc.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We travelled by train to sjpdp from paris Montparnasse on august 1 2019. Train left at 747am and arrived at bayonne at 1152 . We then changed platforms and caught the 1159 to sjpdp. I was worried about the 7 minute changeover after a 4 hour train but in fact the first train arrived at bayonne early!!!
Ive since been told that the sjpdp train is sometimes held up until the paris bayonne rrain arrives
The train to sjpdp takes about an hour and goes through beautiful scenery . Next time i would go the same way

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
And to somewhat expand on the question - how long would it take one to get to Gare Montparnasse from CdG?
Looking at the CdG ETA 11:50 so by the time get out and get the "checked in luggage" (think poles - thats why)
does not seem like 12:54 is gonna happen 😢

Hmm....supposing your flight arrive in time: it is 1,15 hs as minimum, from CDG to Montparnasse. Two options: train (RER) + metro (fast, but you have to navigate the complicated metro station), or Le Bus Direct (very comfortable and stress-free, but depends on the traffic).. Or taxi (expensive...).
Plus deplaning, migration, baggage delivery, walking corridors, being lost for a moment, etc.
I would not risk it with less that 2:30, and preferably, 3:00 hs. But maybe it is just me...I don't like being in a hurry.
Take notice that the webpage of Le Bus Direct states that its service is currently unavailable. It may be a temporary situation or not...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I suggest you take it easy...enjoy our travel, don't make complicated and stressful plans.
For example,
* spend your evening in Paris -a wonderful city as you know, with many places associated with pilgrims. Next day, take the first train to SJPP, and enjoy this picturesque village, or just walk to Orisson (3 hrs approx, that will save a tough climb next day)
* Go just to Bayonne -also a very interesting city, with many places to relax and decompress- and next morning take the first train to SJPP. That depends on the day, but I can see a 6:21-7:45 train.
Bon chemin!

@Felipe - once more your words resonate reason and wisdom.
That said - and much as I would LOVE to spend a day in Paris (Mon Dieu, ça me manque tellement 😔 ) or hang out in Bayonne (or even SJPdP for that matter) - certain things prevent me from doing so, hence the schedule must be adhered to (to some extend).

I think I got it though... not exactly what I was planning on initially but (IMHO) it works out good for me with less headaches at least at the start
Let me explain - my home airport is PHL and the prices to fly to CdG N\S were out of this world... and then some (yes same for other major airports as well... and never anyone mind Biarritz)
It's no surprise - PHL for most of the time just does not do well esp. if I were to compare flights from EWR (my 1st choice 99% of the time to fly internationally) or JFK (2nd choice - I can get even more favorable rates than from EWR but I HATE HATE HATE :mad: driving to JFK on the cursed Belt Pkwy.... I am sure that US folks who have done it will agree... as a matter of fact last time we flew from there it took me slightly less than 1 hour to get to it right off Verrazano Bridge...and another 1.5 hours to get to JFK - 19 miles)
Anyhow - I found Norwegian Air N/S JFK-CdG for $260.00 "economy" incl. checked-in baggage (poles as mentioned), meals and choice of seat. While IMHO totally awesome deal I still had to get to JFK (any various options to do so still add about $100.00 in cost plus time) and as per my original thread - it landed at almost noon, effectively messing up the 18:11 SJPdP arrival (I really do not want to get there at 21:00 - that would be just too long of a day and obviously some things planned to be accomplished would have to be done next morning)
Stepping away from the laptop and coming back last evening....and on a whim trying again to look over various options I found Aer Lingus out of PHL with 1 stop in DUB (1.hr 10 mins - I can deal with that; if anything that is sort of my fave layover amt of time) that will get me into CdG at 9:30 am!!! :)
Price is $314.00 inc. meals and checked in baggage; no assigned seat but I put in my request for a preference and I can check 72 hours prior to departure and if so desired - select a seat (I would care only for PHL-DUB leg; I can live with the middle seat id assigned on DUB-CdG for 2 hours).
now I don't have to get to JFK; it takes me 1 hour to get to PHL on local regional train and 10 mins to walk to my station from home with cost of all $18.00

so.... technically speaking cheaper overall cost (if you factor in the transportation to JFK), much less headache getting to the Airport (there is NO WAY that I can make JFK in roughly 1.5 hours on Thursday afternoon) and now I have 3.5 hours to get to Gare Montparnasse.... all for the "inconvenience" of 1 stop... which for all I know could be a blessing in these COVID-crazy times with mask requirements and everything else.
Needless to say - I booked...Hence one more small step for the man toward one GIANT LEAP for the man's Camino!!!! 👍 (Air booked, Orisson booked, Roncesvalles booked!... SJPdP - will start looking come November)

Sorry for hijacking the thread with what would up rivaling Chapter I of War And Peace :rolleyes:;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back