• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paris to Biarritz/Bayonne: Cost of train vs flight

Joanne P

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June 2018 & June 2023
Hi Everyone

I've search the forum and whilst there are lots of posts re the various options for getting from Paris to either Biarritz or Bayonne, I can't find much information on costs.

If you caught the direct fast train from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne, can you please let me know what the cost was (roughly)?
There are currently Easy Jet flights for 50 Euro from CDG to Biarritz.
I'm keen to know how those two options compare.

Thank you :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi @joanne

Funnily enough I'll be on that very train in about 4 hours!

Booking ahead (June) it cost me 55 euro for a first class ticket!

Buenos Camino,

Rob.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @joanne

Funnily enough I'll be on that very train in about 4 hours!

Booking ahead (June) it cost me 55 euro for a first class ticket!

Buenos Camino,

Rob.
Thanks Rob. That's good to know. I tried looking for prices in 3 months time just to get an idea (even though I am going in June - but those dates aren't available yet) - and tickets were around 200 Euro.

Thanks Rob. That's good to know. I tried looking for prices in 3 months time just to get an idea (even though I am going in June - but those dates aren't available yet) - and tickets were around 200 Euro.

3 months time will be Christmas which I'm guessing is why the prices are crazy. Still it's fair to assume June will be a bit more expensive than late September.

BTW as I recall a standard class ticket was around 40-45 Euros.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You're "keen to know how those two options compare" so don't forget to add the costs of getting to/from airports (as a very rough estimate €10-20 each way). The trains will take you to the city centres.

Edit to add: checked what I've paid previously. £50.50 or £55. Note that's first class and in sterling.

Last edited:
You're "keen to know how those two options compare" so don't forget to add the costs of getting to/from airports (as a very rough estimate €10-20 each way). The trains will take you to the city centres.

Edit to add: checked what I've paid previously. £50.50 or £55. Note that's first class and in sterling.
Thanks. Yes, good point re the additional costs (and hassle).

Unless you are flying into CDG from outside Europe in which case the cost advantage goes the opposite direction in favour of the flight. ;)

I believe there is a shuttle bus service from Bayonne/Biarritz airport to the centre of town.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Joanne
We are starting our Camino in May next year, and coming from Brisbane are doing all these calculations. It was cheaper (and faster) for us to fly into CDG, overnight there and get the EasyJet flight to Biarritz from there the next morning.
We are transferring with Biarritz airport transfers which is the most expensive part @ E130, but if we can get sharers that will come down,

We just didn’t want to have to get to Montparnasse station from CDG (about 80 minutes in good traffic on airport shuttle), and then get the train (taking around 7 hours with changes and waiting).
Happy with the price paid for CDG to Biarritz flight at approx. 59GBP + a little for checked luggage.
Hope this helps.
Glenda

When you've had 25 or 26 hours in the air getting to CDG from Australia (and 35 or 40 hours when you add in airport waiting and transit time), it's hang the cost and get to Bayonne as fast as possible. Every travel minute saved is a minute closer to putting your head on a pillow and getting some sleep! I saved 6 hours of extra travel time (train) and 5 hours of waiting time in Paris by catching a bus from CDG to Orly and getting the first flight to Biarritz (1 hour 20 mins), and then a 20 minute cab ride to Bayonne. Can't remember the exact cost, but maybe it was $130 euro all up. Worth very cent for a tired body and mind!

I'm keen to know how those two options compare
Book it, its a no brainer., can't understand discussion. Short bus from airport to Bayonne for 1euro and 12 euro train ride takes you too SJPdeP in one hour. Total: 63 euro from CDG to Start of your Camino 🤠

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Joanne
We are starting our Camino in May next year, and coming from Brisbane are doing all these calculations. It was cheaper (and faster) for us to fly into CDG, overnight there and get the EasyJet flight to Biarritz from there the next morning.
We are transferring with Biarritz airport transfers which is the most expensive part @ E130, but if we can get sharers that will come down,

We just didn’t want to have to get to Montparnasse station from CDG (about 80 minutes in good traffic on airport shuttle), and then get the train (taking around 7 hours with changes and waiting).
Happy with the price paid for CDG to Biarritz flight at approx. 59GBP + a little for checked luggage.
Hope this helps.
Glenda
Thanks Glenda. I really appreciate your reply. We are flying into Paris from Perth, but staying in Paris for 2 nights before heading to SJPDP. I've booked accommodation near Gate Montparnasse as we had intended to get the train to Bayonne. Now I'm in a quandry as there are very cheap flights available, and I can't find out what the train is likely to cost in June. Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

Thanks Glenda. I really appreciate your reply. We are flying into Paris from Perth, but staying in Paris for 2 nights before heading to SJPDP. I've booked accommodation near Gate Montparnasse as we had intended to get the train to Bayonne. Now I'm in a quandry as there are very cheap flights available, and I can't find out what the train is likely to cost in June. Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:. LOL
The train seems easier given we will be close, but a 50 euro flight is hard to pass up.
Maybe I'll just flip a coin LOL.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Train to Biarritz takes 5 hours, metro from Montparnasse to CDG takes 45mins and flight takes 85 mins. If both options are same price it comes down to convenience of both travel requirements and time. I'd take the train, its a no brainer 🤠

Hello fellow pilgrim,

Thanks. Yes, good point re the additional costs (and hassle).

In July I had to change airport from CDG to ORY and paid 12€ for the train. Passing Paris and using the Train Val d'Orly to get to the Orly Airport. It was fun but no hassle.
And it was the only option get get in time to my connecting flight to Biarritz. Busses and taxis take up to 2 hours from CDG to ORY.

In total I paid 168,-€ for my flights to Biarritz with AirFrance from Hannover / Germany.
The train from Bayonne to SJPdP almost took the same time as my flight from Hannover to Paris ;).

If you like to travel mostly CO2-free, than choose the train, if you like to be fast, choose the flight.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You could download trainline app and play about with options as could be more convenient and slightly cheaper to take train 🤠

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190925-125249.png
    Screenshot_20190925-125249.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Train to Biarritz takes 5 hours, metro from Montparnasse to CDG takes 45mins and flight takes 85 mins. If both options are same price it comes down to convenience of both travel requirements and time. I'd take the train, its a no brainer 🤠

The train doesn't take 5 hours to get to Biarritz, it's 4hr 20min, I should know I'm on it now! But anyway...you want to get off at Bayonne not Biarritz for the connecting train to SJPdP and that comes sooner. It's 4hr 05min to Bayonne. If you're already near Montparnasse at the start of your journey I can't see how it could possibly be much quicker to get to CDG or Orly, get through security and boarding, fly to Biarritz, get out of the airport (both times I've done this it took ages), find the bus stop, wait for a bus to Bayonne and make the journey to Bayonne. Not to mention flying would require at least 2 changes as opposed to none.

Unless there's a big difference in price I'd agree the train is a no brainer.

You get what you pay for. The train is not much slower than the plane, point-to-point. The costs will be comparable.

BUT, and this is the point, carrying bags onto the train is far easier than dealing with airline baggage policies. Also, traveling by train is oh so much more pleasant in France than flying. The trains are spotless, roomy, and friendly. The scenery is to die for. France is beautiful in any season, even at 250 KPH++.

I say fly to CDG, take the coach service to Gare Montparnasse and then the TGV to Bayonne. Finally, you take the TER #62 light rail train to SJPdP. SJPdP is the final stop on the line, so you cannot go wrong.

They even hold the TER for the arrival of the TGV from Paris if it is delayed as they know it is loaded with pilgrims who need to get to SKPdP.

It's easy peasy, and more relaxing than dealing with airports not in the city center.

You get what you pay for. The train is not much slower than the plane, point-to-point. The costs will be comparable.

BUT, and this is the point, carrying bags onto the train is far easier than dealing with airline baggage policies. Also, traveling by train is oh so much more pleasant in France than flying. The trains are spotless, roomy, and friendly. The scenery is to die for. France is beautiful in any season, even at 250 KPH++.

I say fly to CDG, take the coach service to Gare Montparnasse and then the TGV to Bayonne. Finally, you take the TER #62 light rail train to SJPdP. SJPdP is the final stop on the line, so you cannot go wrong.

They even hold the TER for the arrival of the TGV from Paris if it is delayed as they know it is loaded with pilgrims who need to get to SKPdP.

It's easy peasy, and more relaxing than dealing with airports not in the city center.

90% agree @t2andreo only caveat is that this journey must pass through pretty much the worst scenery in France, pancake flat and nothing but fields for the vast majority of the journey.

In the interest of full disclosure I should probably also say that I find Gare Montparnasse incredibly confusing with its multiple halls and multiple platforms with the same number.

Hi Everyone

I've search the forum and whilst there are lots of posts re the various options for getting from Paris to either Biarritz or Bayonne, I can't find much information on costs.

If you caught the direct fast train from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne, can you please let me know what the cost was (roughly)?

Hi there

I am not sure when you intend going but a quick search for the 23rd October revealed a fare of just over 50€ leaving Paris Montparnasse at 07.49, changing at Bayonne and arriving in SJPD at 12.53. There was only a 7 minute changeover in Bayonne but there would be another train later if you were to miss the connection. Often TER trains are held waiting on incoming TGVs anyway.

Michael A.

Another consideration if you want to maximize your time in Paris, the hoteltrain ... you get a berth/bunk in a six berth compartment, either mixed or single sex, with a clean quilted sheet, and sleep while the train takes a leisurely 10 hours to get to Bayonne. You need to be ready for train noises, rocking motion and lots of stop & go. You may or may not get much sleep ... much like an albergue dorm.

I paid under €60 the last time I used it a few years ago. It was the one place where my backpack went into the bunk with me. Locals who use them head to bed early and main lights go out (they have individual lights in the berth).

It may not start from Montparnasse. For some reason Austerlitz comes to mind.

Even without the night train in the running, I'd pick the train over a flying tin can any day.

90% agree @t2andreo only caveat is that this journey must pass through pretty much the worst scenery in France, pancake flat and nothing but fields for the vast majority of the journey.

In the interest of full disclosure I should probably also say that I find Gare Montparnasse incredibly confusing with its multiple halls and multiple platforms with the same number.

I agree with you. But I personally find this scenery an improvement over what I normally see at home.

I live just off the I-95 corridor in South Florida. Give me rolling fields and small villages anytime.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The train doesn't take 5 hours to get to Biarritz, it's 4hr 20min
Plus the 45 mins from Montparnasse to CDG so your right it doesn't take 5 hours. Its 5 hours 5 mins 🤠

you want to get off at Bayonne not Biarritz for the connecting train to SJPdP and that comes sooner.

As per advice of your post #20 above see my advice post #19 attachment for same advice. Your preaching to the converted and Buen Camino my friend 🤠

Hi Joanne
I've caught the TGV from Montparnasse to Bayonne on 4 occasions. I have never paid more than E36 for 2nd class.
I get the 7.30am-ish train.
The valley rattler waits at Bayonne until the TGV arrives, ensuring you get to SJPdP early in the afternoon.
It's a trip thru the beautiful French countryside that I love. I wouldn't take a plane to Biarritz even if it was cheaper.
The cheap train tickets come on sale 90 days before departure. You need to put a reminder in your diary!

Regards, good travelling and Buen Camino,
Gerard

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Everyone

Wow, that's a great low price! I wish I could've hopped on one of those last month. Instead I ended up on a 12 hour night bus ride. I'm in Scotland now and already made different arrangements for my return to Paris in a week. 😂

Have a safe, quick flight and a buen camino!

Plus the 45 mins from Montparnasse to CDG so your right it doesn't take 5 hours. Its 5 hours 5 mins 🤠

But she said she's spending 2 days in Paris staying near Montparnasse!

No matter, I think we've ably demonstrated there's not much in it ;)

************[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this wonderful information. This is exactly how I will travel next April. I've been hoping someone would post info like this. 😁

Last edited:
Please keep in mind that with strikes, line maintenance, holiday schedules and the other joys of French transport, that 4.5 hour trip can be upwards of 8 or 9 hours with 2 - 3 stops. Research carefully and make choices that are best for you. There was nothing available on the train schedules for my 2018 spring trip that were under 8 hours for the dates I was traveling, so we flew instead.

Travel within France/Spain can be a delightfully flexible and character building experience. Just one of the reasons I usually advise people to spend an extra day in their starting city to decompress and enjoy some time away from travel stress before the hiking begins.

(edited for content) Be sure to look at booking a train ticket all the way to SJPdP. Most of the trains from Paris seem to stop in Bayonne and then go on to SJPdP and the extra bit only adds something like another 11 euro or so.

Have fun!

M

Hi Everyone

I caught this train in June this year and paid less than 40€ by buying on loco2. I was on their alert list to tell me when they came available approx 40 days before travel. Journey from memory was less than 3 hours from Paris to bayonne. I arrived bayonne 9.50pm and walked in the twilight 10minutes to the pilgrim albergue and slept there for 20€ and got 8am train to sjpp next morning. Loco2 has been taken over by another company but should be easy to find. Enjoy.

I think many people have recommended the train. So if that becomes your plan, since you will be staying in Paris for two days before heading south, take a half hour and walk over to the station and look around. Look for a place to buy some food and drinks before you board. The food on the train is not up to Parisian standards. Plus you will have familiarized yourself with the station layout.

And, if you wind up having a real train ticket, not a printed out ticket from an online purchase, make sure you stamp (composter is the French verb) your ticket before you board the train. The machines to stamp/composte your ticket are found at the end of each aisle leading to your train car. Ask for help on this if your ticket is a "real" ticket and not something you printed back in Oz. When I have bought my ticket online and carried a printed copy, I haven't needed to composte my ticket.

I love walking in Paris and hope you have a great time there. Same for the rest of your trip.

Yes, compost any real ticket. Fines for failing to do so are steep.

I think many people have recommended the train. So if that becomes your plan, since you will be staying in Paris for two days before heading south, take a half hour and walk over to the station and look around. Look for a place to buy some food and drinks before you board. The food on the train is not up to Parisian standards. Plus you will have familiarized yourself with the station layout.

And, if you wind up having a real train ticket, not a printed out ticket from an online purchase, make sure you stamp (composter is the French verb) your ticket before you board the train. The machines to stamp/composte your ticket are found at the end of each aisle leading to your train car. Ask for help on this if your ticket is a "real" ticket and not something you printed back in Oz. When I have bought my ticket online and carried a printed copy, I haven't needed to composte my ticket.

I love walking in Paris and hope you have a great time there. Same for the rest of your trip.
Thank you, that's good advice

Hi Everyone

I just took the easyJet flight. I think the prices are pretty similar. Probably depends on what fits your schedule best.

Hi Everyone

Hi Joanne, I did Paris-Bayonne by TGV bought it in january to travel in April, wasn’t more than 40€. And from there to SJPDP was 10.10€ So it was very nice

Thank you, that's good advice

We buy the tickets the day we arrive at our Hotel when in Paris , it's simple and easy and they sometimes have very good deals.

*** And i'm sure TMcA could tell you that " seniors " tickets are available
Don't be fooled by that young sailors photo:)

We have just returned and travelled Spain by train after the walk.
A lovely lady in the ticket office @ RENFE Seville MADE us join Seniors at a cost of 6 euro each , it saved us many many euros and travel was all first class , so if planning on seeing Spain take advantage of this offer.

I would have flown to Biarritz , bus to Bayonne , and stayed there for the 2 nights.
It's a beautiful place once discovered.
Years ago we found we wasted the first night in Paris , travelled in business but with all the mucking around was a bit tired that first night.

Safe trip and buen camino

Hi Joanne

Hope this helps.
Glenda
Hi Glenda, as an aside to the general discussion I thought I might raise a couple of points for you to consider as I did what you are planning to do in 2016.

The flight from Brisbane got me to CDG in the morning and I was booked into a airport hotel that night to catch the first flight out to Biarritz on EasyJet the next morning. Problem was I couldn't get into my room until after midday. Jetlagged and exhausted I had a miserable morning in the hotel lobby.

If I did it again I would continue travelling on the day I arrived, either by flight in the afternoon or transfer to TVG .

Get the travelling over in one continuous movement. If you're like most people and can't sleep on an aircraft, then I suggest getting to SJPdP asap after you arrive in France and get over the jetlag in a great location.

Hope your transit goes well

Hi Glenda, as an aside to the general discussion I thought I might raise a couple of points for you to consider as I did what you are planning to do in 2016.

The flight from Brisbane got me to CDG in the morning and I was booked into a airport hotel that night to catch the first flight out to Biarritz on EasyJet the next morning. Problem was I couldn't get into my room until after midday. Jetlagged and exhausted I had a miserable morning in the hotel lobby.

If I did it again I would continue travelling on the day I arrived, either by flight in the afternoon or transfer to TVG .

Get the travelling over in one continuous movement. If you're like most people and can't sleep on an aircraft, then I suggest getting to SJPdP asap after you arrive in France and get over the jetlag in a great location.

Hope your transit goes well
Hi PeteD,
Happily I arrive about 7.30pm, so a night’s sleep and an 11am flight to Biarritz means an easy morning. I have 2 nights booked in SJPdP to deal with jet lag 😱.
Looking forward to it all as it gets closer.
cheers
Glenda

Hi PeteD,
Happily I arrive about 7.30pm, so a night’s sleep and an 11am flight to Biarritz means an easy morning. I have 2 nights booked in SJPdP to deal with jet lag 😱.
Looking forward to it all as it gets closer.
cheers
Glenda

Sensible Girl
Have a great Camino
and
When you return for The Norte etc stay in Bayonne its a wonderful town instead of SJPP

Another consideration if you want to maximize your time in Paris, the hoteltrain ... you get a berth/bunk in a six berth compartment, either mixed or single sex, with a clean quilted sheet, and sleep while the train takes a leisurely 10 hours to get to Bayonne.

Hi,

For those who may like this proposal : the direct night train from Paris to Bayonne/Hendaye/Irun is now something of the past, since July 2017. There is a substitute from Paris to Toulouse, Toulouse to Pau and Pau to Bayonne, i.e. not really straightforward.

These night trains have had their heydays, before they became collateral victims of the TGV.

Hi,

For those who may like this proposal : the direct night train from Paris to Bayonne/Hendaye/Irun is now something of the past, since July 2017. There is a substitute from Paris to Toulouse, Toulouse to Pau and Pau to Bayonne, i.e. not really straightforward.

These night trains have had their heydays, before they became collateral victims of the TGV.

This makes me sad. Thanks for the update.

What if you choose to consider carbon footprint?

And traveling by train in a foreign country is always a nice way to peek into interstitial spaces. I like interstitial. It's what makes the Camino special. And trains are nice to snooze on. I normally avoid the high speed option. You don't get to look into people's yards. I'm nosey too.

If you really cared about your carbon footprint you'd stay home.

There is no evidence that rising levels of CO2 in the atmosphere pose an immediate, or even an imminent, threat to the climate.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Costs vary a lot. Easy Jet has a pricing scheme where if you are the first to buy a ticket you get an eye brow raising really cheap rate. If you wait till the last minute you're better off taking the train because the price has soared faster than will the value of the aircraft. If you want some idea of prices search the service provider sites now. There is no way anyone here can provide better information than the service providers.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back