• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paris to Le Puy

Stellaluna

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances -2016
Portuguese -2019
Le Puy - July 2022
Hello all,
I fly into CDG on June 23 (5:00pm) and don't want to spend any time in Paris as I want to maximize my time on the GR65. Any recommendations on the most efficient way to get to Le Puy? Thanks for weighing in!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello all,
I fly into CDG on June 23 (5:00pm) and don't want to spend any time in Paris as I want to maximize my time on the GR65. Any recommendations on the most efficient way to get to Le Puy? Thanks for weighing in!
It's tough timing. You probably couldn't catch the 6pm train to Lyon from the airport, so either you need to make the trip into the city, or wait until the 8pm train, which will get you into Lyon at 10pm. From there, you're still 2.5 hours from Le Puy, but I imagine you'd want to sleep.

So, at that point... you'd get into Le Puy the following morning, maybe at 10am? So you certainly could walk to Montbonnet, if you had the energy. You would miss the Le Puy experience, though, and that morning mass can be a great way to kick off the pilgrimage. I'd spend the day there and then head out the following morning.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello all,
You have probably already booked your ticket, but if not, you could consider flying into Lyon?
Or change your ticket so it includes the internal flight to Lyon?

Hello all,
Hi again
You mention you want to maximise your time available to use on the route.
Will you be short of time ?

I arrived by plane to Lyon after a delay and missed out on spending any time there. I had booked accommodation for the night.. and train to Le Puy the following morning. In hindsight I wish I'd allowed time to see Lyon. Paris is such a hub and is often a place that you will get a chance to visit more often so missing spending time there 'on this occasion' is understandable.

You would miss the Le Puy experience, though, and that morning mass can be a great way to kick off the pilgrimage. I'd spend the day there and then head out the following morning.
Likewise - the experience at this starting point.. I consider all this to be 'part of the way' and if you aren't stretched for time., I'd consider staying to see Le Puy and go to the morning mass. It's a wonderful exit and beginning. It will be right for you, whichever way you do it.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
You have probably already booked your ticket, but if not, you could consider flying into Lyon?
Or change your ticket so it includes the internal flight to Lyon?
Yes, I booked a flight to Lyon. I arrive there at 11pm, so I guess that I will overnight there and then bus or train to Le Puy and then start walking!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Likewise - the experience at this starting point.. I consider all this to be 'part of the way' and if you aren't stretch for time., I'd consider staying to see Le Puy and go to the morning mass. It's a wonderful exit and beginning. It will be right for you, whichever way you do it.
This is a good point. Although I have to be back in Paris on July 24 so I have about 28 possible walking days so I do feel a bit stretched for time.

I took the TGV train from Paris to Lyon then took a BlaBlaCar from Lyon direct to Le Puy. All very easy once you have the BlaBlaCar app. Create an alert on the app for Lyon to Le Puy and you’ll start receiving different options for people going that direction with room in their cars within two weeks of your date. You won’t get responses earlier than two weeks before.
My friend had paid SO much money for a taxi which I just couldn’t bring myself to do, and he couldn’t believe that I only spent about €6!

I took the TGV train from Paris to Lyon then took a BlaBlaCar from Lyon direct to Le Puy. All very easy once you have the BlaBlaCar app. Create an alert on the app for Lyon to Le Puy and you’ll start receiving different options for people going that direction with room in their cars within two weeks of your date. You won’t get responses earlier than two weeks before.
My friend had paid SO much money for a taxi which I just couldn’t bring myself to do, and he couldn’t believe that I only spent about €6!
Great! This is perfect!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi again
You mention you want to maximise your time available to use on the route.
Will you be short of time ?

I arrived by plane to Lyon after a delay and missed out on spending any time there. I had booked accommodation for the night.. and train to Le Puy the following morning. In hindsight I wish I'd allowed time to see Lyon. Paris is such a hub and is often a place that you will get a chance to visit more often so missing spending time there 'on this occasion' is understandable.

Likewise - the experience at this starting point.. I consider all this to be 'part of the way' and if you aren't stretched for time., I'd consider staying to see Le Puy and go to the morning mass. It's a wonderful exit and beginning. It will be right for you, whichever way you do it.

Buen Camino
I would highly recommend you not rush anything. You are taking a very long flight and a 9 hour time change. I have no idea of your fitness level or your age but that first week out of Le Puy is beautiful but is definitely not a walk in the park. Enjoy Le Puy it is beautiful and rest a little before your Camino. I think you will be glad you recharged your battery before beginning.

The best laid plans are often not, when traveling in France. I arrived at CDG early morning, took Le Bus to the Gare Lyon and was able to take a morning train I had pre-booked to Lyon. In Lyon I had also pre-booked a seat to Le Puy on a train that departed shortly after noon. So far so good, it was working exactly as I had planned it. Then I got about half way to Le Puy, I don't even remember the name of the town, and the train conductors decided to go on strike. This place only had 2 buses a day to Le Puy and you can imagine how many people on the now aborted train ride wanted to buy tickets for the bus. Of course, not being a local French person, I didn't get to the bus ticket kiosk as fast as the people who knew what was up and so I spent the night waiting for the morning bus. I lived in France for 5 years and sooner of later you get used to this s*#t.

Outbound Sunday, 29 May​
04h 39m, 1 change​
SOQ4eJ8_6O_ku2W4QFifGw27C_HUF_LCigzV71xAX1syIFngw7B-j9hoKR3ynZFgaKnP-k68ZMoFejYIFYITxCOKb8-CgPESsE9wRiLUP-jFUYU_N4RBI3G7ZsUhJWdgDHtNaA_-lSjpNQ=s0-d-e1-ft
16:58 Paris Gare de Lyon
SNCF TGV INOUI 6687
s0FC9b-RAmMjIxLUL06dmYKAfi57zphKenMLulSyA4BGXZx-XbELb4O6YqVV60ndBZ07CoS_4jzrI80ir_Cpd-ZtUyIgYSxAFFXP17flUh7vsNVMW6n2R2uAdubGX5zBtjJ3XBPSrXs=s0-d-e1-ft
Seat reserved
Carriage 2, Solo seat 81, Solo seat, Upstairs
SOQ4eJ8_6O_ku2W4QFifGw27C_HUF_LCigzV71xAX1syIFngw7B-j9hoKR3ynZFgaKnP-k68ZMoFejYIFYITxCOKb8-CgPESsE9wRiLUP-jFUYU_N4RBI3G7ZsUhJWdgDHtNaA_-lSjpNQ=s0-d-e1-ft
19:49 St-Étienne Châteaucreux
cqIqn-JineoWVNDOPD-ZscedoclNgFG_q1r2-3qiNnT7cc5ZHQw32Z9g_aGqQwdNSnws5Iem3YZB3FyIIOkpRh7yMKu8kl0M38aBNew7hgOrJRsWRjxNvXHqFrAPIC6H7Zqn5x2n2UgazQ=s0-d-e1-ft
Change, 20 minutes transfer time
20:09 St-Étienne Châteaucreux
SNCF TER 889966
21:37 Le Puy-en-Velay

My train itinerary from Paris. Hope it helps, I'm skipping Lyon and have a more direct route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greetings to all,

Thank you for this wonderful thread and all the helpful insight. I too was looking into this same travel in order to start my waddle. After pushing a few buttons recommended above, I think I've figured it out. I hope it's ok to share here to get your input.

I arrive at CDG near 13:30 this summer. I looked at flying to LYS on the 17:40 flight that same day, $100, arriving at 18:45. I could stay the night in Lyon or continue to Le Puy.

On the other hand, I could take the train from CDG to Gare Lyon (2 switches), takes about an hour, about 10euro or so.

From Gare Lyon, I could take the 16:58 train (seems I'll have time to get from CDG to Gare Lyon) to Le Puy (skipping Lyon which I am ok with), $104, arriving 21:37. (Same as JustinB above, later in the summer).

Since such a late arrival, I could have the time to spend the next day exploring Le Puy, getting good rest that night, Mass the next morning, and off I go. Alternatively, I am used to getting up the next morning the very first morning after arrival and completing 30+kms with no problem.

How am I doing so far?

Keep a smile,
Simeon

I would highly recommend you not rush anything. You are taking a very long flight and a 9 hour time change. I have no idea of your fitness level or your age but that first week out of Le Puy is beautiful but is definitely not a walk in the park. Enjoy Le Puy it is beautiful and rest a little before your Camino. I think you will be glad you recharged your battery before beginning.
Thanks for this reminder.

We are arriving in Paris CDG on Sept 1st and will also be travelling to Le Puy to start walking on Sept 4th. We are spending the night at CDG (points) and then would like to train to Le Puy on the 2nd. Is the train right at CDG? A bit of a nervous Nellie so would like this buttoned up before we go. ie: transferring etc. When on the rome2Rio site it takes me to a bus service. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We are arriving in Paris CDG on Sept 1st and will also be travelling to Le Puy to start walking on Sept 4th. We are spending the night at CDG (points) and then would like to train to Le Puy on the 2nd. Is the train right at CDG? A bit of a nervous Nellie so would like this buttoned up before we go. ie: transferring etc. When on the rome2Rio site it takes me to a bus service. Any advice greatly appreciated!
Hi Cleigh,

For the train I took, it was right there at CDG. Once I got through customs after arrival, it was a 10 minute walk to the trains through the airport. Found my platform with plenty of time to spare.

Thank you to all those who contributed here.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back