• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paris to Lourdes then ST. Jean

Humbertico

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan 2018
My wife and I are planning to fly into Paris from Atlanta in Sept and wanted to go to Lourdes first for 2 days . Any recommendations on train to Lourdes and from there best way to St. Jean to start the Camino? Thanks for advice in advance!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My wife and I are planning to fly into Paris from Atlanta in Sept and wanted to go to Lourdes first for 2 days . Any recommendations on train to Lourdes and from there best way to St. Jean to start the Camino? Thanks for advice in advance!

Generally there are several trains throughout the day from Paris/Montparnasse to Lourdes as well as a night train from Paris/Austerlitz.
From Lourdes you would take a train to Bayonne and then the local TER train to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

September schedules are not yet available. See current schedule times at www.Oui.SNCF.

Good luck and Bon voyage/Buen camino to both you and your wife.

Last edited:
Generally there are several trains throughout the day from Paris/Montparnasse to Lourdes as well as a night train from Paris/Austerlitz.
From Lourdes you would take a train to Bayonne and then the local TER train to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

September schedules are not yet available. See current schedule times at www.Oui.SNCF.

Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Anniesantiago @Humbertico I second that Annie although I walked from Lourdes to SJPdP - quite torn deciding which way to go from Oloron Ste Marie - you turn left for Somport and Jaca and go straight on for SJPdP. I would love to do the Jaca route sometime. But nice to be spoilt for choice. The route to SJPdP from Lourdes is well waymarked and there is quite adequate pilgrim accommodation along the way. It was very quiet in 2009. Probably not a route to take for your very first steps on any Camino, unless you are very confident walking alone.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

The "best" way to SJPP from Lourdes is to walk there -- and if you did, you could justify spending your one night or two at Lourdes in the wonderful pilgrim hostel there.

It's a short walk, and with little difficulty if you take care to avoid the one or two more unnecessarily mountainous stretches of the waymarked hiking path ; and the pilgrim hostels along that way are all wonderful. And it's also the best preparation for the mountain stage across from SJPP to Roncesvalles.

Oloron is also actually rather a nice urban break on that stretch, a sleepier French provincial town than Lourdes, not overly touristy, a good place to rethink your gear needs after a few days' walking, and a good place to see a bit of France outside of the hustle and bustle of Paris, Lourdes, SJPP, and the train journey.

--

The Somport route down to Jaca is longer and more difficult, both psychologically (from the sense of being closed in by mountains to either side) and physically (because it's longer and winds in and out of a main road busy with international traffic) -- I've done it once, I'd never do it again. If I were to do the Camino Aragonès again (which is most beautiful indeed), I'd probably do it from the direction of Barcelona or Andorra instead ...

I also find the Oloron to Somport route less beautiful than the Oloron to SJPP one.

Last edited:
Totally agree with the other comments about walking from Lourdes if you have time. It has its own pilgrim support centres just like SJPD (there are 3? places to collect stamps), the evening parade is an amazing experience and it's an awesome place to start a pilgrimage. The walk out of Lourdes is really nice - flat and along a river - a gentle start to a pilgrimage. The Grottes de Betharram (http://www.betharram.com/) are fun to visit, Lestelle-Betharram has an interesting history. Oloron is a sleepy kind of place but again lots of history and a good place to review if you need all the things you are carrying or if shoes don't fit etc. If you do walk to SJDP you'll be old hands and I think you might appreciate the pilgrim buzz and other people's excitement so much more - although it will be a shock meeting so many people on the trail after the quietness of the walk to SJPD!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Where can I get information of walking from Lourdes to St. Jean?

Very little information is actually needed -- and you can get the most important parts of it there, either at the Compostela pilgrims office in town, or at the central Lourdes pilgrims office down in the park area between the basilicas

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Anniesantiago @Humbertico I second that Annie although I walked from Lourdes to SJPdP - quite torn deciding which way to go from Oloron Ste Marie - you turn left for Somport and Jaca and go straight on for SJPdP. I would love to do the Jaca route sometime. But nice to be spoilt for choice. The route to SJPdP from Lourdes is well waymarked and there is quite adequate pilgrim accommodation along the way. It was very quiet in 2009. Probably not a route to take for your very first steps on any Camino, unless you are very confident walking alone.
We got as far as the campsite in Lourdes and turned to each other and both said in unison "I don't think I can do this!" But we did do it and by the time we reached SJPdP we were a lot fitter and it made the trek to Roncesvalles a lot easier.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm planning to visit Lourdes for 2 days in Sept before heading to SJDP by flying from JFK to Toulouse then take train onto Lourdes. This was the best route for myself versus via Lourdes, Pau and Biarritz airports due to long layover.

I am looking to see if someone wants to split the cost of a van ride from Lourdes to SJPDP the am of Tues Sept 11 to have all day there before starting Camino on the 12th. The train has 2 stops and gets to SJPDP close to 4 pm

Gracias!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am quite jealous, we saw Lourdes from the train from Toulouse to Bayonne. It looks magnificent. Hope to go there one day.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back