• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paris to SJPdP

Dogbreath

Douglas Johnson, Indiana, USA
Time of past OR future Camino
Hello Pilgrims,

I've made my plans for the start of my Camino. This forum has had many nuggets of useful info in the six months since I started planning. Here is what I'll be doing in September 2019. Commentary is always welcome. And perhaps this will be useful for a Class of 2020 Pilgrim who researches the logistics as I did.

* I am taking the SNCF TGV train from CDG Aéroport. The alternative was to find my way into Paris Gare Montparnasse. The CDG train gets me to Bordeaux where I connect with the Paris train. How do these options compare? CDG --> Bordeaux has 4 intermediate stops (none in the heart of Paris), takes 3:41 vs. Paris --> Bordeaux is non-stop in 2:09. I'm sure there are more frequent Paris trains but I like the ability to get to my next mode of transport at CDG pretty conveniently (Gare TGV at CDG is between Terminals 2C and 2D). And the timing worked out well (see next bullet). The simplicity appeals to me even though it is a longer train ride. In January I had thoughts about staying in Paris to play tourist and acclimate for a day or two; decided not to. I am staying a second night in SJPdP.​
* I have 2:40 in CDG to clear customs and get a bit to eat (assuming my inbound flight from the US is not delayed). Surely that will be sufficient -- Right? (And please don't call me Shirley!)​
* This scheme is apparently not uncommon. If both trains are on-time I'll be in Bordeaux for only 10 minutes. From what others have reported on this forum, if my CDG train is a tad delayed, the SNCF Poobah's will hold the Paris train to allow myself and others to walk across the platform.​
* For some bizarre reason when I booked my TGV trip a 1st class ticket was less expensive than 2nd class. I had been checking schedules about weekly for the past month, had never clicked on the next screen to see costs until last week when I bought my ticket. Not that I'm complaining, mind you!​
* Following another lead in this forum, I'll rely on Express Bourricot for passenger transport from Biarritz train station to SJPdP. My initial plan was to de-train at Bayonne and take the local TER train to SJPdP. Staying on the TGV for the additional 8-minute ride to Biarritz will get me into an Express Bourricot van sooner. I'll get to SJPdP perhaps as much as an hour earlier, time to get settled before dinner at Beilari (followed recommendation of several forum-ites for that as my get-over-jet-lag place to stay). The disadvantage -- at the moment -- is I'm the only booked passenger on the van so the cost is high. I'm hopeful there will be other Biarritz Aéroport or train pick-ups to make it more reasonable.​
* I'll report back how smoothly this all works out. Someone on this forum had a worst-case scenario, missed their first train by one minute. Traveling became a hassle-and-a-half rather than the anticipated relaxing sojourn through the idyllic French countryside. Let's hope my journey is more pleasant.​

Thanks again to everybody for their threads, replies, and PM's! See you on the Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Seems a good plan. Now, skipping Paris...ok, your choice. 😩 :p
Yes, the Bordeaux train will usually wait for the Paris passengers. You will have *just a few* minutes for the connection, so give immediately attention to the panels. They will announce the *final destination* (the train may not be announced as "Bayonne" or "Biarritz"). Check this beforehand.
About your SJPP connection: I always wonder why people prefer Bourricot over the train (unless the schedules don´t suit, obviously) The train is more comfortable, have bathrooms, nicer sights over the way (I decided in this trip to walk the "voie du Nive", someday), and it is much, much less expensive. It is the only comment I have, you really seem to have everything solved.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
I always wonder why people prefer Bourricot over the train (unless the schedules don´t suit, obviously) The train is more comfortable, have bathrooms, nicer sights over the way (I decided in this trip to walk the "voie du Nive", someday), and it is much, much less expensive. It is the only comment I have, you really seem to have everything solved.
Buen camino!

For myself, it was the fact that Express Bouricott meets me at the airport, thus eliminating an extra transportation step that is required to get to the train -- or walking to get to the train. :)

Then there is the factor you mentioned: EB departs around MY arrival, so that I am on my way to SJPdP as soon as I land and locate the driver holding the EB sign near the airport's entrance.

The van was a comfortable 45 minute drive, with pleasant conversations. It is not the same as riding a train in terms of romance and ambiance, but those aren't really factors for me, anyway. It's how efficiently I can get to SJPdP, get my lodging check-in completed, and then relax, enjoy the town, and get ready for the next day's departure. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Pilgrims,

I've made my plans for the start of my Camino. This forum has had many nuggets of useful info in the six months since I started planning. Here is what I'll be doing in September 2019. Commentary is always welcome. And perhaps this will be useful for a Class of 2020 Pilgrim who researches the logistics as I did.

* I am taking the SNCF TGV train from CDG Aéroport. The alternative was to find my way into Paris Gare Montparnasse. The CDG train gets me to Bordeaux where I connect with the Paris train. How do these options compare? CDG --> Bordeaux has 4 intermediate stops (none in the heart of Paris), takes 3:41 vs. Paris --> Bordeaux is non-stop in 2:09. I'm sure there are more frequent Paris trains but I like the ability to get to my next mode of transport at CDG pretty conveniently (Gare TGV at CDG is between Terminals 2C and 2D). And the timing worked out well (see next bullet). The simplicity appeals to me even though it is a longer train ride. In January I had thoughts about staying in Paris to play tourist and acclimate for a day or two; decided not to. I am staying a second night in SJPdP.​
* I have 2:40 in CDG to clear customs and get a bit to eat (assuming my inbound flight from the US is not delayed). Surely that will be sufficient -- Right? (And please don't call me Shirley!)​
* This scheme is apparently not uncommon. If both trains are on-time I'll be in Bordeaux for only 10 minutes. From what others have reported on this forum, if my CDG train is a tad delayed, the SNCF Poobah's will hold the Paris train to allow myself and others to walk across the platform.​
* For some bizarre reason when I booked my TGV trip a 1st class ticket was less expensive than 2nd class. I had been checking schedules about weekly for the past month, had never clicked on the next screen to see costs until last week when I bought my ticket. Not that I'm complaining, mind you!​
* Following another lead in this forum, I'll rely on Express Bourricot for passenger transport from Biarritz train station to SJPdP. My initial plan was to de-train at Bayonne and take the local TER train to SJPdP. Staying on the TGV for the additional 8-minute ride to Biarritz will get me into an Express Bourricot van sooner. I'll get to SJPdP perhaps as much as an hour earlier, time to get settled before dinner at Beilari (followed recommendation of several forum-ites for that as my get-over-jet-lag place to stay). The disadvantage -- at the moment -- is I'm the only booked passenger on the van so the cost is high. I'm hopeful there will be other Biarritz Aéroport or train pick-ups to make it more reasonable.​
* I'll report back how smoothly this all works out. Someone on this forum had a worst-case scenario, missed their first train by one minute. Traveling became a hassle-and-a-half rather than the anticipated relaxing sojourn through the idyllic French countryside. Let's hope my journey is more pleasant.​

Thanks again to everybody for their threads, replies, and PM's! See you on the Camino!

Sounds like you've got a good plan for transportation. This is a good way for those who like the train option.

For speed and convenience,
  • I fly from Seatac to either CDG or ORY.
  • From Paris, I take a short and fast hop on a regional jet to Biarritz (BIQ).
  • At BIQ, I also take the Express Bouricott shuttle into SJPdP.

Hello Pilgrims,

Sounds good to me! We are doing the train from CDG to Bayonne. Staying 2 nights there to recover from journey from Oz. Then local train to SJPdP where we stay 2 nights as well. Start Camino on 19 September. Our paths may cross.

On 15 August I arrive in Paris (CDG) at 2120. An hour later I catch an overnight bus out of CDG. Twelve hours later I'll arrive in Bayonne and hopefully can get a ride with Express Bouricott to SJPdP, putting me there around mid-day. I haven't decided if I'll do a shorter walk that day or just relax for the afternoon and start the next morning, bright and early. I will decide when I get there, and will share how the transportation works out.

If anyone has roughly the same timeline, give me a shout! I am flying Phoenix to Frankfurt to Paris.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I leave Dallas for New York on 15 Sept using miles. Got a $250 flight on Norwegian Air to Paris. Arrive @ 1PM on 16th. Have flight to Biarritz @ 7:30 spend nite there. Leave on bus to St Jean whenever on the 17th. Leave St Jean for Orisson on my 77th Birthday. Then who knows

On 15 August I arrive in Paris (CDG) at 2120. An hour later I catch an overnight bus out of CDG. Twelve hours later I'll arrive in Bayonne and hopefully can get a ride with Express Bouricott to SJPdP, putting me there around mid-day. I haven't decided if I'll do a shorter walk that day or just relax for the afternoon and start the next morning, bright and early. I will decide when I get there, and will share how the transportation works out.

If anyone has roughly the same timeline, give me a shout! I am flying Phoenix to Frankfurt to Paris.

You won't have trouble getting a shuttle ride with Express Bourricot. :)

You may already know this, but a reservation is required; they do not have casual boarding. If you haven't already done so, I would suggest that you make your reservation ASAP, as they do get completely booked up sometimes two or more weeks in advance. And individual dates for August could already be getting tight.

You won't have trouble getting a shuttle ride with Express Bourricot. :)

You may already know this, but a reservation is required; they do not have casual boarding. If you haven't already done so, I would suggest that you make your reservation ASAP, as they do get completely booked up sometimes two or more weeks in advance. And individual dates for August could already be getting tight.
Thanks Dave! I will do that now. I have the bus ticket etc and definitely need to book the EB ride.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sounds like you've got a good plan for transportation. This is a good way for those who like the train option.

For speed and convenience,
  • I fly from Seatac to either CDG or ORY.
  • From Paris, I take a short and fast hop on a regional jet to Biarritz (BIQ).
  • At BIQ, I also take the Express Bouricott shuttle into SJPdP.
I have just booked for my flights to BIQ from ORY for next year then train to SJDP... to avoid all the train hassle and it’s almost the same price.

From what others have reported on this forum, if my CDG train is a tad delayed, the SNCF Poobah's will hold the Paris train to allow myself and others to walk across the platform.

Just a word of caution about this bit. This does happen, but more with local trains like the one from Bayonne to SJPP, which does wait for late arriving Paris trains. Not so much when it's a TGV on a main route. This exact scenario happened to us in April - our train from CDG was late arriving in Bordeaux and we missed our connecting train (another TGV) by about 5 minutes. The next train to Bayonne was a local train about 2 hours later. Luckily we were only going as far as Bayonne that day, so only had to call our hotel with a revised arrival time. But if you have onward travel arrangements the same day, it would pay to have a backup plan, just in case.

Apart from that though, the train direct from CDG is a good option I agree - we have done it that way twice, and once by going in to Montparnasse and taking the train from there. That was fine too, but the change at Bordeaux was overall simpler, even with the missed connection this time!

Buen Camino

We may meet. I intend on flying out of Tucson Aug 15, arriving in Paris the 16, and flying into Bayonne. I have not made my reservations as of yet but that will me be my itinerary. I am going to stay a day in SJPP to recover and begin the Valcarlos Route the next day. I have already done the Napoleon 5 years ago.Buen Camino fellow Pilgrim.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have booked Denver to Paris on sept 15, arriving sept 16. I have a bed booked in sjpdp on 17th and Roncevalles on 18th. Can I make it to SjPdp from Paris in one day? I land at CDG at 930 am. I could take the train and spend a night somewhere?
Campfish, I arrive @ 1 PM at CDG on the 16th. I have a flight with Easy jet to Biartz at 7:30. Have room in Biartz that evening and will take shuttle to St Jean on the 17th spend the night at La Coquille Napoléon. Chill there and start my Camino on the 18th but staying at Orisson. Check the easy jet flight for 56 euros

Campfish, I arrive @ 1 PM at CDG on the 16th. I have a flight with Easy jet to Biartz at 7:30. Have room in Biartz that evening and will take shuttle to St Jean on the 17th spend the night at La Coquille Napoléon. Chill there and start my Camino on the 18th but staying at Orisson. Check the easy jet flight for 56 euros
Thanks, I deleted my post as I was going to post it as my own question. I can’t figure out how to do that but in reading all the related posts I think I’m getting it!

I have booked Denver to Paris on sept 15, arriving sept 16. I have a bed booked in sjpdp on 17th and Roncevalles on 18th. Can I make it to SjPdp from Paris in one day? I land at CDG at 930 am. I could take the train and spend a night somewhere?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We may meet. I intend on flying out of Tucson Aug 15, arriving in Paris the 16, and flying into Bayonne. I have not made my reservations as of yet but that will me be my itinerary. I am going to stay a day in SJPP to recover and begin the Valcarlos Route the next day. I have already done the Napoleon 5 years ago.Buen Camino fellow Pilgrim.
I live in Tucson, actually! I arrive in Paris at 9:20 PM the 15th. Arrive in Bayonne and SJPP around noon the 16th. I think I will spend the rest of the day/night there, look around, recover from all the travel and get some sleep, start early the next day (17th).

Are you involved in the local Camino group? There is a gathering this month on the 20th. I will be there with my husband.

Hello Pilgrims,

You seem to have researched it as extensively as I did! I'm going in early September and decided to take the train non-stop from CDG to Bayonne, spend the night, then quick 7:00 a.m. train to SJPP the following morning. I figured, why stress about making connections and why push to get it all done in one day? I'll have a leisurely day in SJPP before starting the Camino early the next morning. Buen Camino!

Just to add another option.

Wew prebooked all of our travel in France from Australia. Saved quite a lot of money by self-translating French on the iDTGV website, picking up two first class over 60's seniors fares costing a mere 74 euro total. (2016 prices) to Bayonne. We also booked the connecting train from Bayonne to SJPP.

We flew from Australia to Paris (CDG), arriving in the morning. Then took the airport bus to Paris Gare Montparnasse (bus stop is right outside the station) and stayed overnight in the three start Hotel Arcade, Montparnasse which is located across the road.

This allowed us time to have a decent leg stretching walk that afternoon and to rehearse our next morning departure plans for the fast train to Bayonne.

We had two recovery nights at SJPP before beginning the Camino, with an easy first day to Orrison. (Pre-booked as well).

To echo Evvie's thoughts above, tight connections always lead to stress and time worry. Therefore I always try to build a lot of time redundancy into my itinerary connections because delays and hold ups occur. For example, In 2016, we were held up at CDG airport for over three hours because of an unexpected industrial dispute at immigration control.

The arrival terminal was so crowded, we thought Sarria might be like that! Close but not quite. 😂

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just to add another option.

Wew prebooked all of our travel in France from Australia. Saved quite a lot of money by self-translating French on the iDTGV website, picking up two first class over 60's seniors fares costing a mere 74 euro total. (2016 prices) to Bayonne. We also booked the connecting train from Bayonne to SJPP.

We flew from Australia to Paris (CDG), arriving in the morning. Then took the airport bus to Paris Gare Montparnasse (bus stop is right outside the station) and stayed overnight in the three start Hotel Arcade, Montparnasse which is located across the road.

This allowed us time to have a decent leg stretching walk that afternoon and to rehearse our next morning departure plans for the fast train to Bayonne.

We had two recovery nights at SJPP before beginning the Camino, with an easy first day to Orrison. (Pre-booked as well).

To echo Evvie's thoughts above, tight connections always lead to stress and time worry. Therefore I always try to build a lot of time redundancy into my itinerary connections because delays and hold ups occur. We were held up at CDG airport for over three hours because of an unexpected industrial dispute at immigration control.
My research included yours however I elected to have a 6 hr buffer at CDG arrive @ 1PMfor a flight to Biartz @ 7 PM. Have room there and then to StJean next day, spend nite there and leave late morning on my 77 birthday for Orisson on 18th.

You actually have plenty of time upon the same day as your arrival into CDG to:
  • Take the shuttle from CDG to Orly (ORY) Airport.
  • Catch the 2:05pm flight from ORY to Biarritz (BIQ). Arrive around 3:25pm.
  • Take the Express Bouricott to SJPdP, arriving by 4:30 pm or earlier.
You can also wait for the 4:10pm flight out of CDG to BIQ (arrives at 5:35pm) and take EB to SJPdP.

That is what I do, which gives me plenty of time to check-in to my lodging in SJPdP, walk around the town and relax, then get my backpack organized and ready for next morning's departure, enjoy some dinner and the evening doing some more sight seeing and gazing at the hills.

By 0730 the next morning, I've had a good night's sleep, a bit of breakfast, and am on my way to Roncesvalles, with a nice, long and relaxing break and refreshment at Orrison along the way. :)

Have room there and then to StJean next day, spend nite there and leave late morning on my 77 birthday for Orisson on 18th.

That’s fantastic. I hope you have a truely memorable birthday at Orrison.

During dinner, pilgrims introduce themselves and state reasons for walking the Camino and please don’t forget to mention your birthday! 😀

Buen Camino

You actually have plenty of time upon the same day as your arrival into CDG to:
  • Take the shuttle from CDG to Orly (ORY) Airport.
  • Catch the 2:05pm flight from ORY to Biarritz (BIQ). Arrive around 3:25pm.
  • Take the Express Bouricott to SJPdP, arriving by 4:30 pm or earlier.
You can also wait for the 4:10pm flight out of CDG to BIQ (arrives at 5:35pm) and take EB to SJPdP.

That is what I do, which gives me plenty of time to check-in to my lodging in SJPdP, walk around the town and relax, then get my backpack organized and ready for next morning's departure, enjoy some dinner and the evening doing some more sight seeing and gazing at the hills.

By 0730 the next morning, I've had a good night's sleep, a bit of breakfast, and am on my way to Roncesvalles, with a nice, long and relaxing break and refreshment at Orrison along the way. :)
I wanted to check out Biartz that was the reason.

Hello Pilgrims,

I'll be doing very much the same thing on 9/4-5. States to Paris, TGV train from CDG to Bayonne, spend the night, 0700 train to SJPDP on 9/6, begin my Camino on 9/7. I could have done it all in one day but decided to cut it off and delay my arrival to SJPDP by @14 hours. I figured I needed a good night's rest after a long day of travel + time change. Buen Camino!

Arriving in Paris in the evening is certainly a challenge logistically.

We arrive at CDG from Melbourne (Australia) at 19:20 on July 31. I looked at overnight trains (3-4 changes it seems) and tbh did not really consider a bus. We decided to get a hotel near Montparnasse, get a decent nights sleep and catch the train from Montparnasse at 747 the next morning. We have a 7 minute change at Bayonne and if we are on time with that then we should get to SJPDP around 1 pm. Starting our Camino the next day. Only downside was the cost of the train which for some reason was ridiculously high on our day of travel. The cost seems to vary day by day and we lucked out.

Last September I also arrived at Cdg about 9:30 after a flight from Calgary, Alberta. I hopped a plane to Biarritz/Bayone then had transportation booked to SJPdP. Arrived about 6:30. It was a long travel day but worth it once I started walking the next morning.
Buen Camino

Last September I also arrived at Cdg about 9:30 after a flight from Calgary, Alberta. I hopped a plane to Biarritz/Bayone then had transportation booked to SJPdP. Arrived about 6:30. It was a long travel day but worth it once I started walking the next morning.
Buen Camino
Perfect! Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back