• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paris to SJPP

frank john

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2016
October-November 2024
I’ve walked the Camino a few times, flying into Barcelona, making my way to Pamplona and then getting a shared taxi to SJPP. I’d like to try flying into Paris. I can’t seem to connect with any threads giving advice on traveling to SJPP from Paris. I used the new app but without success.
I’m sorry to bring up a topic I know has been addressed probably numerous times but I just can’t find the thread. Im not familiar with Paris, so I thought it’s time for something new. Thank you for any advice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you click on the tag "travel to bayonne/biarritz/sjpp" that is now under the title at the top of this thread, you will get a selection of threads on that topic. It should help narrow down your search for the information you need.

This is not exhaustive but just a quick place to start...

The link above can help if you wish to anchor your arrival time to CDG a couple hours or more before the TGV leaves leaves from the airport to Bayonne. (Bayonne to SJPP is pretty easy to figure out, no?)

The link above will be of use if you wish to explore Paris for a day or three before heading south.

Bear in mind that either source is only going to be completely (almost!) accurate about 60-90 days ahead of proposed travel.

B

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I found it easier to travel from Paris to SJPdP than from Madrid. All I needed to do was buy a single train ticket from the French train company's website from Gare Montparnasse to St Jean. There was a quick change in Bayonne to what I call the Pilgrim Express.

I did what @trecile said above
Train from Gare Montparnasse to St Jean.
Instead of rushing myself in one day after overnight flight from US I booked a bed in a nearby hostel, spent a relaxing evening in Paris and walked perhaps 10-15 minutes to the station next morning after having a nice breakfast

@frank john It might help with suggesting options if you tell us where you are travelling from. The closest airport to SJPDP is Biarritz. If you are not intending to spend any significant time in Paris it might make more sense to fly to Biarritz instead where you are only a couple of hours from SJPDP by bus and train. Possibly using a connecting flight from Dublin or London if you are travelling from the USA. Travel search engines like Kayak will suggest connecting flights.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Having flown into CDG numerous times, it’s really quite easy to maneuver around Paris. Here’s a link for transportation options from the airport into the city. In the past, I have been able to take the bus directly to Gare Montparnasse. You can do the same in the metro. Several trains run daily to Bayonne where you would then catch the local rail to SJPP.

Depending on where you are flying in from and the time of day you arrive in Paris, it’s still a long trek south to SJPP. If you don’t arrive early in the morning, think about spending a night in Paris and heading south early the next day. The TGV will get you to Bayonne in a matter of a few hours where you can then catch the short train into SJPP and still arrive good time in the afternoon. Although I have arrived in Paris and continued my journey that same day to SJPP, I found it quite taxing and all your connections have to be perfect. Since you said you’re not familiar with Paris, I’d recommend recharging a bit there, see the city, and resume your travels the next day. Get to SJPP a bit more rested as the first day over the Pyrenees is quite demanding. I’d also encourage you to reserve a bed in SJPP and Roncesvalles if you haven’t already done so. Buen Camino,

@frank john It might help with suggesting options if you tell us where you are travelling from. The closest airport to SJPDP is Biarritz. If you are not intending to spend any significant time in Paris it might make more sense to fly to Biarritz instead where you are only a couple of hours from SJPDP by bus and train. Possibly using a connecting flight from Dublin or London if you are travelling from the USA. Travel search engines like Kayak will suggest connecting flights.
Thank you all for these suggestions. Very helpful. I’m traveling from Chicago and would like a day or two in Paris just to see a few sites. I have roughly two months next Fall starting in late October. I know weather can be a bit of a problem but I’m up to the challenge. I’ll be 67 next Fall but in great shape. Plus, I’ve done the Camino three times. Once again, thank you.

I was going suggest flying to Bordeaux or Bilbao but you answered my question as to why you picked Paris. There are some well located hotels near Gare Montparnasse for touring town via the Metro.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The ‘train’ from Bayonne to SJPDP is a bus run by the train company. I don’t believe they’ve fixed the rail line yet. The bus departs from just outside the train station.

If you take the train from the airport into Paris, catch one that goes close to your final destination and don’t disembark at Garr du Nord (it’s infamous for pickpockets) - so not the express that ends at Gare du Nord but a commuter train. I’ve never taken the bus to Montparnasse, but that should be a decent option that lets you see what’s outside.

I usually spend a couple nights in Paris enroute to the camino.

If you take the train from the airport into Paris, catch one that goes close to your final destination and don’t disembark at Garr du Nord (it’s infamous for pickpockets) - so not the express that ends at Gare du Nord but a commuter train. I’ve never taken the bus to Montparnasse, but that should be a decent option that lets you see what’s outside.

RER B will take you straight from CDG to Denfert-Rochereau. From there - the Montparnasse is your oyster as to what to do next. Hotels, bistros, Paris Catacombs and Cimeterie du Montparnasse are all short walking distance...
on technicality its about 15-20 mins walk to Gare Montparnasse itself from that stop (or one cane jump on Ligne 4)
Anyways... easy-peasy-breezy
Enjoy your time in Paris whenever you decide to start your Camino (and of course Buen Camino in itself)

Thank you all for these suggestions. Very helpful. I’m traveling from Chicago and would like a day or two in Paris just to see a few sites. I have roughly two months next Fall starting in late October. I know weather can be a bit of a problem but I’m up to the challenge. I’ll be 67 next Fall but in great shape. Plus, I’ve done the Camino three times. Once again, thank you.
Good Luck, Frank John. I am looking to the day I can finally hang it up and head out for my own two month Camino adventure. Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did what @trecile said above
Train from Gare Montparnasse to St Jean.
Instead of rushing myself in one day after overnight flight from US I booked a bed in a nearby hostel, spent a relaxing evening in Paris and walked perhaps 10-15 minutes to the station next morning after having a nice breakfast
I overnighted in Paris and did exact same itinerary- found a reasonable hotel because no offense but last time I stayed in adult hostel was disgusting - full disclosure I’m 66, world traveled and don’t do hostels anymore

I can only advise based on my personal experience. I May, 2018, I flew into Charles DeGaul Airport and took a dedicated bus to Montparnasse Station in the South end of Paris. I did have to stay overnight in a hostel due to timing but I took a train to Bayonne and then completed the trip by bus as there was no train laid in to handle the demand. When available, the trip can be completed to SJPP by train. Either way, when purchasing a ticket, Paris to SJPP, the final train / bus is included.

One final note, take the morning train if possible as the afternoon train will get you into SJPP around 10:30 PM and let you off at the train station, even by bus, on the final leg.

I flew into Paris from San Francisco, CA, enjoyed a couple of days there. I then took a train to Lourdes, stayed in a little Airbnb there for one night, then continued my journey to St Jean where stopped in at the pilgrim office and continued to Orisson arriving there in the late afternoon. A wonderful way to start my Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Check for cheap flights on EasyJet that flies Paris CDG to Biarritz. Make sure that you schedule enough time between landing of your international flight and connecting flight to Biarritz. EasyJet flights are cheap but are not refundable. Be sure to follow all restrictions before getting hit with extra fees.

-Paul

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I flew into Paris from Seattle, then train from Montparnasse to Bayonne where I stayed two nights to get over jet lag. It seems many folks go directly to SJPdP bypassing Bayonne, but it is a historically important city and a delight to explore. The river Nive, on which Bayonne is situated, is the very same river River Nive we cross in San Jean to begin our Camino.

Check for cheap flights on EasyJet that flies Paris CDG to Biarritz. Make sure that you schedule enough time between landing of your international flight and connecting flight to Biarritz. EasyJet flights are cheap but are not refundable. Be sure to follow all restrictions before getting hit with extra fees.

-Paul
Thank you Paul. I’ve never traveled EasyJet before.

Thank you Paul. I’ve never traveled EasyJet before.
If you decide to fly to Biarritz, all the cheap flights are out of Orly which is the other Paris airport, but there are a few also from CDG. However, if your plan is to spend a few days in Paris, then the train is easier and faster (once you factor in getting to the airport and security measures) than flying will be. It's also more comfortable and more fun in my opinion.

As a suggestion, sightsee Paris on foot. The city is compact and dense, and just getting to the Louvre or the Eiffel on foot from your hotel is worthwhile. Besides, you are now a pilgrim, and pilgrims walk.

Your plan to fly from Chicago to Paris, then onto the trail head is a good one for all overseas pilgrims. Everyone is in a hurry to start their Camino, but a few days adjusting your clock and getting rehydrated is a better plan.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you decide to fly to Biarritz, all the cheap flights are out of Orly which is the other Paris airport, but there are a few also from CDG. However, if your plan is to spend a few days in Paris, then the train is easier and faster (once you factor in getting to the airport and security measures) than flying will be. It's also more comfortable and more fun in my opinion.

As a suggestion, sightsee Paris on foot. The city is compact and dense, and just getting to the Louvre or the Eiffel on foot from your hotel is worthwhile. Besides, you are now a pilgrim, and pilgrims walk.

Your plan to fly from Chicago to Paris, then onto the trail head is a good one for all overseas pilgrims. Everyone is in a hurry to start their Camino, but a few days adjusting your clock and getting rehydrated is a better plan.
Thank you. I plan on walking from SJJP so I’ll need to find the train from Paris to Biarritz I believe.

Yeah, not quite frank. You can FLY Paris to Biarritz, then city bus to Bayonne and take the train to SJPP from there, or TRAIN Paris to Bayonne, and change trains there to SJPP. Biarritz and Bayonne are neighboring towns in the south. Biarritz has the airport, Bayonne has the train station.

Thank you. I plan on walking from SJJP so I’ll need to find the train from Paris to Biarritz I believe.
I don't know why. As I mentioned above, I bought one through ticket from Paris to SJPdP with transfer in Bayonne.
I don't know when you are traveling, so you will probably have to wait for the schedules to be announced. In the mean time you can sign up for schedule alerts on https://www.raileurope.com/en.

I don't know why. As I mentioned above, I bought one through ticket from Paris to SJPdP with transfer in Bayonne.
I don't know when you are traveling, so you will probably have to wait for the schedules to be announced. In the mean time you can sign up for schedule alerts on https://www.raileurope.com/en.
You have all been so helpful. I’ve use the forum for many years but never engaged much in asking questions. My loss.

The ‘train’ from Bayonne to SJPDP is a bus run by the train company. I don’t believe they’ve fixed the rail line yet. The bus departs from just outside the train station.

I usually spend a couple nights in Paris enroute to the camino.
If the 'train' is now a 'bus' will the bus still transport an unpacked bicycle just as the train would have do you know?
Thanks

If the 'train' is now a 'bus' will the bus still transport an unpacked bicycle just as the train would have do you know?
Thanks
The line to SJPDP is subject to closure at short notice. I intend to take a train to SJPDP tomorrow and the SNCF system just now shows that the train is running normally. As the replacement bus service is usually a standard coach hired for the day I would not be optimistic about it carrying an unpacked bicycle.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not to jump in on a convo but it seems preferred to starting a new one. I have a question. I will land at CDG at 6:15am (if on time of course). There's a flight from CDG to Biarritz at 9:15am. IS that feasible to catch...assuming my original flight lands on time?
And either way, how far in advance do you suggest booking those flights? My trip isn't until May 30.

I'd book now for May.
If you book the flight to Biarritz on a separate ticket and miss the flight you will have to buy a new ticket or make other arrangements.
Delta doesn't connect on to Biarritz which is my main flight so I'll have to risk just buying a new ticket. But best case scenario I land on time. Is it feasible to land at 6:15 and make the flight to Biarritz at 9:15? I have no experience flying into CDG so just curious!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’ve walked the Camino a few times, flying into Barcelona, making my way to Pamplona and then getting a shared taxi to SJPP. I’d like to try flying into Paris. I can’t seem to connect with any threads giving advice on traveling to SJPP from Paris. I used the new app but without success.
I’m sorry to bring up a topic I know has been addressed probably numerous times but I just can’t find the thread. Im not familiar with Paris, so I thought it’s time for something new. Thank you for any advice.

I have stayed in Paris a couple of times en route to SJPDP. Just for a night.
(Been there other times too on 'holiday')

The TGV leaves from Gare Montparnasse. If you stay in that area, or just North of it, you have an easy walk to the Seine, the Louvre...... If you have not stayed n Paris, even a few hours walking the streets and along the banks of the Seine are worthwhile! It's like walking through a Museum.....

Sirron—I flew on Delta and landed at CDG. My schedule said I had 5 hours to get from CDG to my train departure at Gare Montparnasse. a) Delta was late taking off and late landing; b) The immigration line was interminably long; c) It took a while to locate my walking poles (in oversized baggage area); the traffic to the train station was miserable—I arrived with 15 minutes to spare. By the time I located my train and climbed aboard, I had 5 minutes to spare. Next time, I'll take Robo's advice, stay the night in Paris, relaxing train ride the next day.

Sirron—I flew on Delta and landed at CDG. My schedule said I had 5 hours to get from CDG to my train departure at Gare Montparnasse. a) Delta was late taking off and late landing; b) The immigration line was interminably long; c) It took a while to locate my walking poles (in oversized baggage area); the traffic to the train station was miserable—I arrived with 15 minutes to spare. By the time I located my train and climbed aboard, I had 5 minutes to spare. Next time, I'll take Robo's advice, stay the night in Paris, relaxing train ride the next day.
Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Delta doesn't connect on to Biarritz which is my main flight so I'll have to risk just buying a new ticket. But best case scenario I land on time. Is it feasible to land at 6:15 and make the flight to Biarritz at 9:15? I have no experience flying into CDG so just curious!
If I was in a hurry to get to sjpp, then yes, three hours is very doable. You'll just need a little luck. For my fall Camino, air France was willing to sell me a ticket with a 90 minute connection. I declined that, in favor of a four hour one. Now in that case, my checked backpack was checked straight through to biq. If you have to pick up bags from delta and check in with another airline, this could be kinda tight, with the bag check in being the problem..

If I was in a hurry to get to sjpp, then yes, three hours is very doable. You'll just need a little luck. For my fall Camino, air France was willing to sell me a ticket with a 90 minute connection. I declined that, in favor of a four hour one. Now in that case, my checked backpack was checked straight through to biq. If you have to pick up bags from delta and check in with another airline, this could be kinda tight, with the bag check in being the problem..
I'm not checking a bag but yeah it is tight. Just curious in the planning. I can also head over to Gare Montparnasse and take a train to give me a little more wiggle room but that's its own problems haha.
Just trying to debate it. Ideal world I could take my time but I have a wedding in mid July so I'm shooting to b done by July 9th so ideally, me getting to SJPDP on the 30th is my ideal plan but it might not be feasible. I'll figure it out :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back