• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paris/Tours vs. Vezelay vs. Le Puy Routes

Ray J

Where exactly are we?
Time of past OR future Camino
CF
Rota Vicentina & Portuguese
Paris to Moulins & Le Puy
VF
Cornwall & John Muir Way
Planning my next trip and would like information from anyone who has done the Paris/Tours, Vezelay, and/or Le Puy routes (all ending if SJPdP).

I've looked through recent posts in the forum, so I have an idea of places to stay, where to eat, amount of asphalt, etc., so that's not what I'm looking for. For lack of a better way of putting it, I'd like opinions on which of those routes is the most scenic and provide the most "Wow!" moments visually. (Of course, any other thoughts on things you think I should know are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I began walking the Paris route 18 months ago and had to stop due a back injury, so can't give any comment on that one, other than I enjoyed what I saw. I have walked the Vezelay path from Troyes, and the Le Puy route, along with the Arles route from Toulouse. My information is probably now out of date, but will just jot down a few of my thoughts on the various routes. The le Puy route is certainly spectacular. The scenery has great wow factor, but this is a reasonably busy route (for France). When I walked it, to me, it felt more like a long distance walk as opposed to a pilgrimage. The reason for this is that many Europeans (but not all) drop into the way for a few days holiday walking, with no intention of ever heading for Santiago. They are walking to be "in nature" and to see the scenery, and some times this gives the le Puy route a very different "feel" . The people on the Vezelay route are pilgrims, and are far fewer than on the le Puy path. By comparison I spent many weeks on my own on this way, without seeing either a long distance walker, or a pilgrim. I came down through Limoges and really enjoyed the old buildings and villages I passed. The forest variant is supposed to be a delight on this path. It is a less strenuous path, very "pilgrim friendly", but it doesn't really have the "wow" factor in terms of scenery. Lovely pilgrim specific accommodation though, as opposed to the gites for walkers and pilgrims on the le Puy route. I also enjoyed the short stint from Toulouse, and from what I have heard there is plenty of "wow" factor if you were to leave from Arles. Janet

Do you want solitary walking or not? If yes, the Arles or Vezelay. If you want some company, spectacular scenery, glorious river towns and pretty villages, Le Puy.

Arles route for Wow! scenery, LePuy if you want those "wows" to include a village.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As I live on the Tours route I can only vote for that and here in the Charente-Maritime it's fantastic countryside and people.

If you come this way I'll make you a british cuppa.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back