• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paris Train help

crhutch

Time of past OR future Camino
(2010) March/April SJPP to Santiago and hence to Finisterre
(2016) Hospitalero Grañón 15-31 March
(2016) April Logroño to Santiago
(2017) Hospitalero Zamora 15-31 March
(2017) Hospilatero Emaus, Burgos 1-14 April
Can anyone helpl me with taking the trains to SJPP? The airline I am thinking about booking on gets into Paris at 1330. I have tried to use the links to the French Rail System but I can't seem find the timetables. Is there any trains that leave in the afternoon? I realize I need to get to Bayonne first. If I were to stay overnight in Paris, what good inexpensive hotel would be recommended?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hotel: http://www.villagehostel.fr/ 24 euro in a dorm or 30 euro double with breakfast included.
Or, a family run hotel - http://www.hoteldeblois.com/gui/en/enplan.html

High-speed train south to Bayonne or Biarritz.
http://www.voyages-sncf.com/billet-trai ... rs?hid=X8C

Bus from Biarritz (and Bayonne) to St. Jean Pied de Port ± 1hr50 mins. The train line is undergoing repairs and the trains will not run until about June.

You don't say when you will be traveling?

I did a search using 16th March:
This was the result:

PARIS
BIARRITZ
1 passenger (s)

Go Tuesday, 16/03 between 15h45 and 18h20 - Total price for 1 passenger

Departure 15h45 17h15 17h45 18h20
From € 22.00 € 49.00 € 32.30 € 22.00
Duration 05h18 06h12 05h26 05h07

22 euro to about 69 euro

Here's what I did: stayed overnight at CDG at the Ibis hotel, then flew out on Easy Jet the next morning. The Ibis was clean & cheap, there was food to eat, and free to get to. :D (short walk to the CDGval, then short walk through the metro/bus station).

Kelly

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
crhutch said:
Can anyone helpl me with taking the trains to SJPP? The airline I am thinking about booking on gets into Paris at 1330. I have tried to use the links to the French Rail System but I can't seem find the timetables. Is there any trains that leave in the afternoon? I realize I need to get to Bayonne first. If I were to stay overnight in Paris, what good inexpensive hotel would be recommended?

I flew into Paris in the summer of 2007 from the US. From the CDG airport train station (under the air port), I booked an afternoon train to Bordeaux and also made a reservation at the Bordeaux Ibis hotel. When I arrived in Bordeaux a couple of hours later, I walked to the Ibis, checked in, and that was that. I got my credencial at the Bordeaux tourist office (at the train station), along with my first stamp.

I had initially planned to start walking from Bordeaux, but decided against it and ended up staying a couple of days (I'm into wine, if you couldn't tell). After that I booked a morning train to Bayonne and stayed a night there, catching a train the next day to SJPP. Both Bordeaux and Bayonne had outdoor stores where I got some last-minute supplies (walking sticks, poncho, etc.).

As for inexpensive hotels (vs. hostels) in Paris? You might try the Rick Steves travel website. He's into budget travel and has some recommendations in the Rue Cler area. Good luck and buen Camino! :)

VT

Thanks to all for your advice. I purchased my wife's and my ticket today with Continental for $720 per person. We will do the Camino first starting in mid-March and then spend the next two months kicking around Spain and going to Rome. I was looking at TAP, they had tickets for $668, but it got us into Paris late and coming home from Rome we had to overnight in Lisbon. I figure with food and lodging it is a wash. Since I get into Paris at 0630 I have lots of options with trains to SJPP. I liked Vinotinto's idea of stopping in Bordeaux.

I feel I have just passed the point of no return :D !!

Thanks again all and buen camino!!

Cullen

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
crhutch said:
stopping in Bordeaux.

I had a good time there - spent three nights at the Ibis, and walked all over town. There is lots of Camino-related history in Bordeaux to get your pilgrimage juices flowing. Plus, the food is good, with many cool cafes and restaurants. Make sure you walk down the strip next to the river (I think it's the south bank). I was treated quite well at a cafe a little ways from the big fountain/square there by the staff, who plied me with Cuban stogies and good brandy/whiskey.

And if you want to take a Sideways bus tour of a Bordeaux winery, make sure you book it in advance at the tourist office (helpful folks there, by the way). I tried to get on one the day it departed, but it was sold out to a bunch of Japanese tourists.

Before you go, I recommend learning some of the local lingo, both French and Spanish. Two good travel language programs: Coffee Break Spanish/French - free on iTunes, and One-Day Spanish/French by Elisabeth Smith. Practice a lot now, and put both courses on an iPod and take it with you for refresher lessons in the evenings.

Greeting a bartender, ordering, and being able to exchange money using the local language will get you far! First lesson for Spain: Hola, senor/senorita! Quisiera un vaso grande de vino tinto, y cafe con leche, y un puro de Habana, y un postre, por favor senor! All of these things will get you to Santiago in one piece...I heard that drunks are more likely to get there because they are insulated against pain and gut bugs - I can vouch for that! :)

Buen Camino!

VT

I'll have to check out the two travel programs at least the French one. Mi español es bueno, así que no tendrá ningún problema ordenar comida o vino, o los cigarros. 8)

I guess I will have no problems on the Camino since I'll be well insulated!! :mrgreen:

By chance did you visit any wineries in Spain?

Buen Camino

crhutch said:
I guess I will have no problems on the Camino since I'll be well insulated!! :mrgreen:

By chance did you visit any wineries in Spain?

Buen Camino

Wow - I just noticed that you are walking early in the year! You might want to try cafe con cognac to keep you warm (there's a specific name for that concoction, but I can't remember what it is). Also, orujo de hierbas is a digestif that must be experienced after dinner. A couple shots and you'll be feeling no pain. :mrgreen:

As for wineries, I walked through quite a few, but only visited one (unless you count having dinner in a former wine celler at an albergue and drinking vino that was made in the town itself). During the last few weeks on the Camino I fell in with a group of cool Spanish folks that took me under their wing and showed me some great times, one of which was visiting a small hole-in-the-wall winery and sampling some rose. They also gave me an intro course on Spanish wine, and when we reached Santiago they took me out and we feasted on one of the best meals I've ever eaten. Hopefully you'll have the same luck! :arrow:

VT

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
CR Stop by when you come through Moratinos. We don´t have a winery, but we do have a bodega. And there´s some wine in there.
No cigars, though.

Rebekah

Rebekah,

I'll definitely make it a point. I've enjoyed your posts and it would be great to meet.

Ojala tienes mucho vino en tu bodega :wink:

abrazos y buen camino

Cullen

crhutch said:
Mi español es bueno

Looks like you have me beat in that department :) It will be a big help to you, especially at the bars. I noticed that many were crowded but had only one or two tenders behind the counter. Anything you can to do make things easier for them will serve you well! :arrow:

Cheers,

VT

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
VT, I hope so. Only problem is my Spanish is very rusty, so I expect the first couple of weeks to be a bit rough as I remember. Luckily I know how to say vino, cerveza, pan, jamon, huevos, tortilla, cafe corto and my favorite cafe carajillo!! :mrgreen:

Buen Camino, Cullen

French train help

I've been trying to decide whether to purchase train tickets before we go or just wait until we get to France. I am still pondering what to do but first I want to vent.

The French rail website is a bit confusing for an old geezer like me. When go to the SNCF website to look at schedules it is all in French and I don't know the language. Luckily (or so I thought) there is a button for English. However, when I click on the English button I get transferred to TVG-Europe.com website. Then if I identify myself as being from the US I get transferred to yet another site (raileurope.com). After playing around with all three sites I think I've gotten a little bit of an understanding. You get the most complete prices and schedules on the SNCF site. The TVG-Europe site seems to provide a less complete schedule and prices seem to be higher. The Raileurope.com site provides less schedule choices and prices are the highest Very irritating!! :evil:

I did find a good article that gives a step by step discussion to buying tickets on the SNCF website so I thought I'd share in case anyone else is having issues. It is...http://www.eurocheapo.com/blog/france-t ... rench.html

So long as you are not arriving at some holiday weekend time, you are very likely to be able to get a seat the day you want to travel in France. If you arrive in CDG airport, there is a little scnf office where you can buy your ticket.
Margaret

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Re: French train help

crhutch said:
The French rail website is a bit confusing for an old geezer like me. When go to the SNCF website to look at schedules it is all in French and I don't know the language. Luckily (or so I thought) there is a button for English. However, when I click on the English button I get transferred to TVG-Europe.com website. Then if I identify myself as being from the US I get transferred to yet another site (raileurope.com). After playing around with all three sites I think I've gotten a little bit of an understanding. You get the most complete prices and schedules on the SNCF site. The TVG-Europe site seems to provide a less complete schedule and prices seem to be higher. The Raileurope.com site provides less schedule choices and prices are the highest Very irritating!! :evil:

If you look at this post from last year then you´ll find tohams translation of the French Train site. Booking tickets using the French is not that complicated, you just have to dare to book your ticktes.

traveling-to-from-the-camino/topic6572.html

good luck, annie

crhutch said:
Only problem is my Spanish is very rusty, so I expect the first couple of weeks to be a bit rough as I remember.

Well, then I recommend nailing down the numbers. That will be a very helpful skill at a crowded bar when paying your tab - the harried bartender will be grateful for exact change vs. a blank stare when s/he rattles off your bill (although quite a number will write it down or show it to you on a calculator or cash register display)... :arrow:

VT

Lucky for me my Spanish is not that rusty. Numbers I can handle as well as the drinks :lol:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back