• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Parking at hostels or auberges?

Becky 59

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2018, 2021, 2023; CI 2019; CP 2022, 2023
I plan to walk the Camino, but my husband works (on-line college instructor) but wants to share as much of the experience as he can. He plans to drive a rental car to our next night's lodging, doing his on-line work during the day, and join me for part of the walking. Will we be able to find parking at the places we stay? We are open about staying at pilgrim hostels/auberges or little hotels. Does anyone aniticipate we will run into animosity on the Camino?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, first thing, I'm sorry to say, if your husband doesn't have a pilgrims passport he won't be staying at an albergue, hostels and little hotels no problem but albergues are only for pilgrims who are walking or cycling.

As for animosity, I would say no, none, nada, unless, of course, you take someone's parking place ;).

As for parking in a small village or town in Spain, well, I don't think parking would be an issue and in the larger centres it definitely would not be an issue any more than it is anywhere else in the world.

Have fun!

Welcome to the Forum, Becky!

As @mvanert said above, your husband will need to be walking or cycling and have a pilgrim's passport if he wants to stay in the pilgrim albergues. However, hostales (smaller hotels with private rooms) and hotels should be fine. You can even check on Booking.com for places with parking and/ or contact the establishments to check on parking before booking.

One suggestion I would have - many places don't allow check-in until about 3pm or 4pm. So I'd suggest that your husband wake up and work in the morning in the hotel room until checkout time (usually 12noon), and then drive to meet you at the next place. Since the usual Camino rhythm is to wake up early and get started walking early (usually between 6am and 8am depending on the season), this schedule allows him to get up with you and work for a few hours in the room. Then after he drives to the next place, you will likely have arrived, or will be 1 - 3 hours from arriving.

(You'd mentioned he'd drive out to meet you and do some work, but I'd suggest the opposite, that he stay put and work until checkout, and then drive over. That way you guys maximize time in the hotel rooms, and he won't have to drive, find cafes to work in, and while away his time until he meets you or checks in. Unless he likes that idea! :))

Hope that helps. Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!
Faith

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back