• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Parking at St. Jean

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (July 2016), Primitivo (July 2018), Portuguese (March 2019)
Having posted this under ‘quick question’ and got serious grief from my wife for not being explicit, (sigh) perhaps this thread title is an improvement.

Does anybody happen to know where we might safely leave a car for three days next week whilst my wife and I walk from St. Jean Pied de Porte to Pamplona before catching a bus back to St. Jean? (We walked part of the Norte, then Pamplona to Navarette this summer and are walking from Logrono to Santiago in September, but we’ve missed the first three days from St. Jean to Pamplona and in 2016 the route up to Orisson was shrouded in mist - not really an explanation that anybody probably wanted but what the hell).

Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would park in a paid security lot in st Jean. Leave nothing visable. A plan. Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In the past some pilgrims have arranged parking at the SJPdP camping ground. See more here --
Camping Municipal Plaza Berri
7 Avenue du Fronton, 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
05 59 37 11 19

Not what you asked but consider one more day and bus from Pamplona to Roncevalles (Autocares Artieda) and walk back to SJPdP by the other camino. In reverse the Napoleon would likely be the easiest but it is probably best to start with that route if the weather is good.

SJPP is not exactly a world center for organized crime and drugs, the worst you have to consider is that local authorities will tow unidentified vehicles off to say Biarritz. The Pilgrims Office will help you find a private lot and pay whatever they ask.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many thanks for everyone’s comments, all much appreciated. It looks like we’ve a decent number of options to consider. Cheers.

We just parked in public parking lot at the top of the town (where the Camino leaves the main part of town). Don't park where any markets might be. Worse comes to worst, ask a local. It can be done (we parked 3 nights in SJPdP, 3 nights at a cemetery near the monastery albergue in Sarria, then about 7 days in a horse pasture in Gonzar.

As stated earlier, keep everything out of sight - leave the center console and glove compartment open (to prove you don't have anything hiding), and put your keys in a safe place (two sets - one in pack, one in pocket). I somehow managed to lose one set (I think I was pick-pocketed, but have no evidence - that's my story, and I'm sticking to it).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'd never thought about leaving the center console and glove compartment open. That's excellent advice, whether on the Camino or long-term parking anywhere. Every day I learn something new on this forum. 👍😊

I'd never thought about leaving the center console and glove compartment open. That's excellent advice, whether on the Camino or long-term parking anywhere. Every day I learn something new on this forum. 👍😊
Read recently about a guy who was told to do this in his new neighborhood AND leave the doors unlocked. He did. One morning he found his radio stolen. :mad: But he also found a brick left on one of the front seats. His windows were still okay so I suppose you can say this method worked. 👍

Read recently about a guy who was told to do this in his new neighborhood AND leave the doors unlocked. He did. One morning he found his radio stolen. :mad: But he also found a brick left on one of the front seats. His windows were still okay so I suppose you can say this method worked. 👍
Well, that's one heck of a welcome to the neighborhood. 😱

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back