• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Parkinson's, beauty, and where to walk on the Puy en Veley

Amomandhergirls

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning a trip with my daughters (2017)
Hi Friends,

Advice please. I have recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's. I've dreamed of finishing the Camino but don't know if it is likely. I can take two weeks off from work annually. I've already walked from Puy en Veley to Figeac (over two summers) and LOVED it!! I'm thinking to do one more two-week trip in France, and then in 2024 go from Porto, Portugal to Santiago (so that I can finish in Santiago even though I won't have completed the traditional route all the way from Puy en Veley to Santiago.
What two-week stretch is the most beautiful (not too difficult) in France, anywhere from Figeac to Aire-sur-l'adour? I'm contemplating Figeac to Cahors on the Cele Variant but am afraid it will be too hard on my body (lots of orange in the miao-miao book.)
Any other suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks so much for your advice,
Cara

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Friends,

Advice please. I have recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's. I've dreamed of finishing the Camino but don't know if it is likely. I can take two weeks off from work annually. I've already walked from Puy en Veley to Figeac (over two summers) and LOVED it!! I'm thinking to do one more two-week trip in France, and then in 2024 go from Porto, Portugal to Santiago (so that I can finish in Santiago even though I won't have completed the traditional route all the way from Puy en Veley to Santiago.
What two-week stretch is the most beautiful (not too difficult) in France, anywhere from Figeac to Aire-sur-l'adour? I'm contemplating Figeac to Cahors on the Cele Variant but am afraid it will be too hard on my body (lots of orange in the miao-miao book.)

Cara
Haven't any advice for you but sincerely wish you all the best. Myself and my love dove have again booked our flight for may and we'll do a BITSA to Finisterre. We have been knocked back for 5 years with pandemics,, breast cancer etc etc but will keep on trying. Dot had breast cancer and personal loss and is 69 yesterday! I'm a youthful 85 and would need several pages of A4 PAPER TO LIST MY DISABILITIES :) Moral? World go to hell and get out of my way. I'm coming through :) Keep on truckin lady :)

Samarkand.

Hi Friends,

Cara
Hi Cara,
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I also have Parkinson’s and can speak with confidence on a few things.
1. The more active you are from this day forward, the longer you will be able to do the things that you love. An active life is the hardest thing for this stupid disease to fight.
2. Invest in good apps that have brain games and other stimulating scenarios. Keep those synapses firing as often as possible. This will prolong your memory and help delay many of the cognitive issues that we inevitably experience.
3. The first time you let Parkinson’s stop you from doing something will be the beginning of a chain reaction that will make your deterioration happen so much sooner. Don’t be scared of anything.

I was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson’s (specifically Progressive Supranuclear Palsy) 5 years ago at the age of 47. Most doctors predicted I had 8-10 years of life left before one of the many symptoms was finally fatal. After dozens of falls, at least 10 concussions, two brain bleeds, 3 heart attacks, a right arm that shakes to embarrassment and short term memory that makes me forget what I did yesterday; I am flying to Madrid tomorrow to begin the Camino Frances in SJPDP. All of this is said not to solicit empathy, but to suggest to you that you can certainly accomplish your goals. Just keep working towards them.
I wish you the best and hope you find happiness.
- 1-8T

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Cara:
The recommendations given here by Hike 18T are a must for those diagnosed with Parkinson’s.

I too was diagnosed with the disease back in 2015, walked the last 100 kms of Camino Francés in 2018. The major advice I can give is keep active both physically and mentally; these are your best weapons to combat something very common on those with Parkinson’s, depression.

Maintain a positive attitude on everything, when sense that you are down, increase your activity and challenge yourself to come from such state.

I have plans to repeat the walk to Santiago; but the pandemic, and other family happenings, has made me pospone it. But I don’t let this to deter me from getting ready with more desires than the first one.

Keep your faith, look forward and keep active.

Buen Camino,

Iván

Hi Cara - @Amomandhergirls

Firstly I am sorry to read of your diagnosis ... and, may I say, bravo to you to be planning to return to the Le Puy Way - what a glorious path - and on to Portugal next year. You've walked from Le Puy to Figeac - so you have covered the more mountainous parts of the Le Puy Way. In trying to suggest a good 'section' for you, I'm mindful of the topography, towns and villages and also access - i.e. how you will get to your starting point?

• Will you be coming from Paris? If so, one option is to take the train to Cahors - a beautiful town. I notice on the Trainline website that, depending on the time of day, there are trains with 0, 1 or 2 connections, from Paris Austerlitz or Paris Montparnasse.

• You mentioned Aire-sur-L'adour - from Cahors to there is around 240kms. There is nothing in this section that is particularly difficult -and there are some lovely towns and villages along the way - e.g. Lauzerte, Lectoure, La Romeiu, Condom, Eauze come to mind! Also, there is accommodation at regular intervals so you wouldn't need to walk particularly long days.

• If you wanted to walk further - you could start at Figeac (usually a longer trip from Paris than to Cahors) - and there is a bit more climbing between Figeac and Cahors from memory. This would add another 80 kms to your trip. .

Cara, what time of year are you planning this? We will be living in Lectoure from 1 April for at least 6 months. If you're on the Le Puy Way during that time you'd be very welcome to contact us and, if we are not walking ourselves at the time, we would be happy to meet you for a 'bonjour' and to help out if you encounter any difficulties. We will have a car. If you'd like to PM me, I can give you my personal details. One of the things we are looking forward to in living in Lectoure is meeting some of the pilgrims that pass by.

In the meantime, you've probably checked this out but, if not, Gronze can show you the stages and, under each one, you will see the words 'Ver perfil de la etapa' - if you click on the + sign on the right you will see the elevation of that stage.

Wishing you 'un tres bon chemin'.

Last edited:
Congrats to all who’ve battled PD and walked the Camino. When I was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago with Parkinson’s, the first thing I googled was, can I hike on the Camino with Parkinson’s? As there did not seem to be a good reason not to (I had walked 4 previous times) that became my pandemic goal: to get into shape and return to Spain this past May. This does not answer your question as to walking in France, but I did walk the inglés, which we transformed from a six day walk into 11 days, thereby giving us more opportunities to drink wine, and have meals! My best wishes to you and keep up the physical activities as was recommended by many people on this forum😀

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Haven't any advice for you but sincerely wish you all the best. Myself and my love dove have again booked our flight for may and we'll do a BITSA to Finisterre. We have been knocked back for 5 years with pandemics,, breast cancer etc etc but will keep on trying. Dot had breast cancer and personal loss and is 69 yesterday! I'm a youthful 85 and would need several pages of A4 PAPER TO LIST MY DISABILITIES :) Moral? World go to hell and get out of my way. I'm coming through :) Keep on truckin lady :)

Samarkand.
You are absolutely AMAZING! Thank you for your encouragement and Bless YOU. Enjoy your Camino.

You are absolutely AMAZING! Thank you for your encouragement and Bless YOU. Enjoy your Camino.

Hi Cara,
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I also have Parkinson’s and can speak with confidence on a few things.
1. The more active you are from this day forward, the longer you will be able to do the things that you love. An active life is the hardest thing for this stupid disease to fight.
2. Invest in good apps that have brain games and other stimulating scenarios. Keep those synapses firing as often as possible. This will prolong your memory and help delay many of the cognitive issues that we inevitably experience.
3. The first time you let Parkinson’s stop you from doing something will be the beginning of a chain reaction that will make your deterioration happen so much sooner. Don’t be scared of anything.

I was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson’s (specifically Progressive Supranuclear Palsy) 5 years ago at the age of 47. Most doctors predicted I had 8-10 years of life left before one of the many symptoms was finally fatal. After dozens of falls, at least 10 concussions, two brain bleeds, 3 heart attacks, a right arm that shakes to embarrassment and short term memory that makes me forget what I did yesterday; I am flying to Madrid tomorrow to begin the Camino Frances in SJPDP. All of this is said not to solicit empathy, but to suggest to you that you can certainly accomplish your goals. Just keep working towards them.
I wish you the best and hope you find happiness.
- 1-8T
Thank you for sharing your journey with me. I'm 54, and I take courage from your determination. BLESS your journey! I wish you every joy as well and am sending a cheer and a loud shout of support!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello Cara:
The recommendations given here by Hike 18T are a must for those diagnosed with Parkinson’s.

I too was diagnosed with the disease back in 2015, walked the last 100 kms of Camino Francés in 2018. The major advice I can give is keep active both physically and mentally; these are your best weapons to combat something very common on those with Parkinson’s, depression.

Maintain a positive attitude on everything, when sense that you are down, increase your activity and challenge yourself to come from such state.

I have plans to repeat the walk to Santiago; but the pandemic, and other family happenings, has made me pospone it. But I don’t let this to deter me from getting ready with more desires than the first one.

Keep your faith, look forward and keep active.

Buen Camino,

Iván
Thank you so much for your encouragement. I feel blessed and grateful. Thank you.

Hi Friends,
Hey Amomandhergirls
I am sorry to here about you getting the diagnosis of Parkinson's. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's about five years ago, and it was like being hit by a baseball bat in the head. I was quite devastated by the thoughts of what my future would hold. I am an ER doc so in my practice we see all the worst outcomes of every disease. I could only foresee negativity.
I had always wanted to do the camino, but the plans were for the retirement years. (I am 63) After getting the diagnosis we started to plan in earnest for the trip. My symptoms are primarily a right arm tremor and some right leg incoordination / twitching. I have had a couple of falls due to the leg issue. For me, the thing that controlled my symptoms the most was trekking poles. With my arm being forced to do a task it keeps the tremor quite under control. COVID stopped our first attempt to make it to Spain, so we spent a few weeks in the Canadian Rockies in 2020, hiking to see what packs and poles felt like and to make sure we had worked out the issues of shoes and socks also. That went very well, and gave me a big boost to get going.
We finally made it to SJPdP in Sept. 2021. In the end we reached Finisterre without any falls, and with lots of extra kilometers added to many of our days to sightsee. By the time we were done we covered over 1200 km over 48 days. The camino was a giant turning point in convincing me that life did not end with a diagnosis of Parkinson's, and I can still do pretty much anything I want. My self-induced depression was dealt with. I returned home with a new outlook on life.
Last autumn we hiked most every trail in Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon, and all the day hikes except Half Dome in Yosemite (missed the lottery). In three weeks, God willing, we plan to do the Rim-to-river-to-rim hike on Bright Angel at the Grand Canyon in one day.
So, after this long essay, just keep walking! Keep thinking! Keep up your cardio! Don't give up on any of your dreams! Make more difficult plans and then take them on! Choose your trail based on what you want to see and experience! Don't choose easy! Ultreia!
Terence

Samarkand.
I am laughing my head off!!!! I am 73, live in Minnesota, and recently had an ice bath in a lake with 2.5 feet of ice on it. I LOVE your attitude and will be quoting you. I'm coming through too!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey Amomandhergirls
I am sorry to here about you getting the diagnosis of Parkinson's. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's about five years ago, and it was like being hit by a baseball bat in the head. I was quite devastated by the thoughts of what my future would hold. I am an ER doc so in my practice we see all the worst outcomes of every disease. I could only foresee negativity.
I had always wanted to do the camino, but the plans were for the retirement years. (I am 63) After getting the diagnosis we started to plan in earnest for the trip. My symptoms are primarily a right arm tremor and some right leg incoordination / twitching. I have had a couple of falls due to the leg issue. For me, the thing that controlled my symptoms the most was trekking poles. With my arm being forced to do a task it keeps the tremor quite under control. COVID stopped our first attempt to make it to Spain, so we spent a few weeks in the Canadian Rockies in 2020, hiking to see what packs and poles felt like and to make sure we had worked out the issues of shoes and socks also. That went very well, and gave me a big boost to get going.
We finally made it to SJPdP in Sept. 2021. In the end we reached Finisterre without any falls, and with lots of extra kilometers added to many of our days to sightsee. By the time we were done we covered over 1200 km over 48 days. The camino was a giant turning point in convincing me that life did not end with a diagnosis of Parkinson's, and I can still do pretty much anything I want. My self-induced depression was dealt with. I returned home with a new outlook on life.
Last autumn we hiked most every trail in Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon, and all the day hikes except Half Dome in Yosemite (missed the lottery). In three weeks, God willing, we plan to do the Rim-to-river-to-rim hike on Bright Angel at the Grand Canyon in one day.
So, after this long essay, just keep walking! Keep thinking! Keep up your cardio! Don't give up on any of your dreams! Make more difficult plans and then take them on! Choose your trail based on what you want to see and experience! Don't choose easy! Ultreia!
Terence
Dear Terence,
Thank you for this wonderful message. I read it three times and will print it out and take it with me. I'm 54 and a professional singer/pianist/teacher, although any sort of adrenaline, as you know, makes the tremor worse, so I'm struggling a bit with what is next for me. Upon reading your post, and the others who have written so kindly, I am planning not one, but THREE trips this summer, one to Mt. Rainier, one to Alaska, and one to France for two more weeks of the Camino. Thank you so much for your kindness and your words of wisdom. Ultreia!! (I had to look up what it meant) and I LOVE IT!

Samarkand.
Dear Samarkand, what an inspiration you are. Thank you. I will! I'm going! Here I come world. Ultreia!!

Hi Cara - @Amomandhergirls

Firstly I am sorry to read of your diagnosis ... and, may I say, bravo to you to be planning to return to the Le Puy Way - what a glorious path - and on to Portugal next year. You've walked from Le Puy to Figeac - so you have covered the more mountainous parts of the Le Puy Way. In trying to suggest a good 'section' for you, I'm mindful of the topography, towns and villages and also access - i.e. how you will get to your starting point?

• Will you be coming from Paris? If so, one option is to take the train to Cahors - a beautiful town. I notice on the Trainline website that, depending on the time of day, there are trains with 0, 1 or 2 connections, from Paris Austerlitz or Paris Montparnasse.

• You mentioned Aire-sur-L'adour - from Cahors to there is around 240kms. There is nothing in this section that is particularly difficult -and there are some lovely towns and villages along the way - e.g. Lauzerte, Lectoure, La Romeiu, Condom, Eauze come to mind! Also, there is accommodation at regular intervals so you wouldn't need to walk particularly long days.

• If you wanted to walk further - you could start at Figeac (usually a longer trip from Paris than to Cahors) - and there is a bit more climbing between Figeac and Cahors from memory. This would add another 80 kms to your trip. .

Cara, what time of year are you planning this? We will be living in Lectoure from 1 April for at least 6 months. If you're on the Le Puy Way during that time you'd be very welcome to contact us and, if we are not walking ourselves at the time, we would be happy to meet you for a 'bonjour' and to help out if you encounter any difficulties. We will have a car. If you'd like to PM me, I can give you my personal details. One of the things we are looking forward to in living in Lectoure is meeting some of the pilgrims that pass by.

In the meantime, you've probably checked this out but, if not, Gronze can show you the stages and, under each one, you will see the words 'Ver perfil de la etapa' - if you click on the + sign on the right you will see the elevation of that stage.

Wishing you 'un tres bon chemin'.
This is so helpful, and I'm grateful! I've made a list of the towns you mentioned and I think we'll do just as you suggested, travel from Paris to Cahors and head west from there. We will be walking the third and fourth weeks of June. Thank you for your encouragement and help. I'm new to this website (well, a few years on it, but have never written anything) so I don't know how to PM you. I will look and see if Lectour might work. You are very kind. Ultreia and blessings on your summer! Cara

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm new to this website (well, a few years on it, but have never written anything) so I don't know how to PM you.
Look at right on the blue menu bar at the top of your screen, and click on the envelope symbol, and then you can Start a new conversation. That will make you able to send a PM (Private Message) to Pelerina.

Later, if you see a red dot on the envelope symbol, you will have received a response, which you can read by clicking on the envelope.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fellow PD pilgrim here also. Finished CF nov 2021 - fortunately symptoms are still mild.
I don't know the route you're suggesting but wish you all the best!
Thank you Alicia, a true fellow traveler. ! I'm looking forward to it very much. Ultreia!

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back