• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Parochial and church run albergues on the Camino Portugues

marciafrost

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago from St Jean - April-May 2013
Are there any parochial or church run albergues on the Camino Portugues, and is so, where are they?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you, David, I would be grateful if you could please share the details. I am currently walking the Camino Portugues.

Thank you, David, I would be grateful if you could please share the details. I am currently walking the Camino Portugues.
We will be starting on may 10 walking from Lisbon. Where did you start from? Would like information if you would care to share. At least on
Accomadations. Thanks

Just north or Porto on the Central route there is the Monastery at Vairão that many people stay at after their first day out of Porto. Just before Padrón there is the monastery at Herbón on a slight detour/alternative track from the main Camino. Those are the two I was thinking of. There may be others.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Most albergues in Portugal are privat albergues.
I never heard that the church is involved in albergues.
Beside that, the Portugues in general are not interested in the Caminho para Santiago .
Their main interest is in their more important own caminho para Fátima
The monastery in Vairão used to be a former monastry but except for the albergue inside there are no further activities as far as I know .
The monastery of Herbon is in Spain and although it is on the Caminho Português but I haven’t been there, not more than I passed it once because it was full, I heard from others that this is a nice experience to be there.

on the leg from Lisbon to Porto once we stayed at a Casa Diocescana in Albergaria-a-Velha. We stayed with nuns and inside the retaite house was a church and we spoke to a priest .I do not know it still is a place where pilgrims can stay.

In Armenteira on the Spiritual Variant, you can stay at a working monastery. The accommodation feels more like a small hotel, but you can eat and attend Catholic services with the nuns there.

Just north or Porto on the Central route there is the Monastery at Vairão that many people stay at after their first day out of Porto. Just before Padrón there is the monastery at Herbón on a slight detour/alternative track from the main Camino. Those are the two I was thinking of. There may be others.
Many thanks David, I have booked to stay at a parochial albergue in Redondela, called Santiago Apostol, tomorrow night - found it in John Brierley’s guidebook, and I will try to stay at the monastery at Herbon too. Thank you for your kind assistance.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Most albergues in Portugal are privat albergues.
I never heard that the church is involved in albergues.
Beside that, the Portugues in general are not interested in the Caminho para Santiago .
Their main interest is in their more important own caminho para Fátima
The monastery in Vairão used to be a former monastry but except for the albergue inside there are no further activities as far as I know .
The monastery of Herbon is in Spain and although it is on the Caminho Português but I haven’t been there, not more than I passed it once because it was full, I heard from others that this is a nice experience to be there.

on the leg from Lisbon to Porto once we stayed at a Casa Diocescana in Albergaria-a-Velha. We stayed with nuns and inside the retaite house was a church and we spoke to a priest .I do not know it still is a place where pilgrims can stay.
Many thanks Albertinho. I shall definitely try the monastery at Herbon. And have booked at a parochial albergue, Santiago Apostol, in Rondendela

Many thanks David and all, I have booked to stay at a parochial albergue in Redondela, called Santiago Apostol, tomorrow night - found it in John Brierley’s guidebook, and I will try to stay at the monastery at Herbon too. Thank you for your kind assistance.

The distinction between municipal and parochial is pretty blurred on the Português, unlike the generally more clear-cut differences between the two on the Spanish Ways, because church life is more deeply interwoven into village life in Portugal than Spain.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Many thanks David and all, I have booked to stay at a parochial albergue in Redondela, called Santiago Apostol, tomorrow night
I was given room on the floor there last year, finding everywhere in Redondela to be jam-packed full, and many pilgrims preparing to spend a night outdoors or moving onwards by taxi.

I never saw the dormitories, but the common areas are quite pleasant.

I think it's technically "ecclesial" rather than "parochial" as such, although it was originally created by the Parish.

Understand one of the reasons of where this is coming from: when confronted with an albergue not accepting forwarded luggage, some pilgrims send it to a local bar instead, where it’s picked up by the hiker and wheeled into an albergue. This prevents that type of behavior by guaranteeing that the person seeking entry into one of these albergues has truly walked with their bag that day, not simply came up with a way to circumvent existing prohibitions.

Paradors don’t accept pilgrims who don’t have plenty of €€€ and cannot pay the nightly rate, yet no one gets upset at them. I may want to walk 50km every day but my body won’t accept that. When it rains, I get wet and when it’s hot, my bald head will burn if I don’t have a hat. There are a lot of things on the Camino that one accepts as part of the journey and you plan for those issues.

Understand one of the reasons of where this is coming from: when confronted with an albergue not accepting forwarded luggage, some pilgrims send it to a local bar instead, where it’s picked up by the hiker and wheeled into an albergue. This prevents that type of behavior by guaranteeing that the person seeking entry into one of these albergues has truly walked with their bag that day, not simply came up with a way to circumvent existing prohibitions.

Paradors don’t accept pilgrims who don’t have plenty of €€€ and cannot pay the nightly rate, yet no one gets upset at them. I may want to walk 50km every day but my body won’t accept that. When it rains, I get wet and when it’s hot, my bald head will burn if I don’t have a hat. There are a lot of things on the Camino that one accepts as part of the journey and you plan for those issues.
I think maybe you meant this for a different thread (perhaps the one about some albergues on the Camino Frances not accepting delivered suitcases)?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
some pilgrims send it to a local bar instead, where it’s picked up by the hiker and wheeled into an albergue.
Probably for the other thread -- but one huge reason for some of the Albergues to no longer accept pack transport is that there had been a marked increase in theft of the cash left by pilgrims in the little envelopes to pay for the transport and write their name and destination.

Switching pick-up points to bars avoids that problem, as the packs are never left unattended.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back