• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Parque das Nações Youth Hostel - Lisbon

Barbara06

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Pamplona (2011-14)
VDLP (2015)
Portuguese (2015)
Francigena (2016)
Primitivo (2017)
Hello,
Can someone tell me what the Parque das Nações youth hostel is like ?
Is the youth hostel card necessary ?
If we are pilgrim and don't have the youth hostel card, is the price the same ?
Thanks in advance

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,
Thanks in advance
Hi, Barbara,
I have never stayed in this hostel, but I can tell you that with your credential, you should be fine, no need to buy the card. I don't know about prices, but my bet is that you will not pay any more than someone with the youth hostel card. Are you planning to walk there from the Lisbon cathedral? Bom caminho, Laurie

p.s. Tripadvisor has some mixed reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...-Lisbon_Lisbon_District_Central_Portugal.html

Personally, I don't like staying in youth hostels because in my experience they are generally used by college kids who are pretty oblivious to the sleeping needs of others. Of course, there may be exceptions!

Last edited:
Hello,
Thanks in advance

Hi, I have stayed here and can recommend it, but it depends on who else is staying. There could well be a noisy, boisterous crowd of youngsters. No YH card needed, nor pilgrim credential. The price is the same for all. My husband had a male dorm all to himself. I shared with 3 young Portuguese women, who went out for the evening (at 10pm!), and crept back in very, very quietly about 3 hours later. They then got up and left (also quietly) before me! You could be as lucky as we were. Jill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you all for your very useful answers.
I am planning to spend my 1st night (27/08) in the town center, then visit Lisbon the next day and spend the 2nd night at the Parque de Naçoes youth hostel and start walking on the camino from there the following day.

Thank you all for your very useful answers.
I am planning to spend my 1st night (27/08) in the town center, then visit Lisbon the next day and spend the 2nd night at the Parque de Naçoes youth hostel and start walking on the camino from there the following day.
Good idea Barbera.
Keep in mind walking from there to Alverca do Ribatejo after passing Sacavém you will arrive on a rural path and after some kms you pass a small bridge . In 2013 the bridge was broken down and we had to do some acrobatics to reach the other side which was doable without backpack to find the maximum balance.
Recently I read that the bridge wasn'nt mended yet so be prepared. It is not bad but you better can be warned on before hand.
Furthermore we skipped the trail Alverca do Ribatejo to Azambuja.
We did not like to walk on the hardshoulder of the via rápida N10 , a busy road So took the train and continued walking from Azambuja.

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Good idea Barbera.
Keep in mind walking from there to Alverca do Ribatejo after passing Sacavém you will arrive on a rural path and after some kms you pass a small bridge . In 2013 the bridge was broken down and we had to do sone acrobatics to reach the other side which was doable without backpack to find the maximaum balance.
Recently I read that the bridge wasn'nt mended yet so be prepared. It is not bad but you better cabn be warned on before hand.
Furthermore we skipped the trail Alverca do Ribatejo to Azambuja.
We did not like to walk on the hardshoulder of the via rápida N10 , a busy road So took the train and continued walking from Azambuja.

Bom caminho
Albertinho, thanks for that information, it'll go into the next edition of our "guide". And if anyone has updated information on the bridge's condition, that'd help, too. Maybe I'll start a separate thread to ask. Thanks, bom caminho, Laurie

.... In 2013 the bridge was broken down and we had to do some acrobatics to reach the other side which was doable without backpack to find the maximum balance.
Thanks Albertinho for the information. You said it was doable without backpack. So what did you do with your backpack ?

Thanks Albertinho for the information. You said it was doable without backpack. So what did you do with your backpack ?
We were together so I stepped over without pack, my wife handed over the packs and I helped her to get over. It was not that dramatic. It was a gap of about 4 or 5 feet .i could step on concrete blocks of what was the bridge in ancient times.
I forgot all about it but the other day I read about it again so I am not sure something changed in the mean time. It is a small rural path, following a river at the left . At the right it is all green but if youlook at Google Maps ,you'll see the town of Sacavèm is close by. Better be warned on beforehand.

You read the other post from Laurie ? (Peregrina2000)
Mario from the Santarèm hostal asked about it and said the bridge has been mended end of 2014 so no worries .
Bom caminho

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back