• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Parrochial Albergues - will they accept transported bags?

julia-t

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015-17
Kumano Kodo March 2018
Camino Portuguese Valenca-SdC April 2018
Due to back and foot issues, I have my backpack transported each day, so far always to private albergues.

(I'm walking the Camino in short stages, a few days at a time. So far I have got to Navarrete, and will be walking some more in early October.)

I know not to send my pack to municipal albergues as they are locked up in the mornings so the bag would be left outside or maybe in a nearby bar.

But what about Parrochial albergues? Is there someone there in the mornings to take a bag in, and even so will they accept a transported bag? Even if they take it in, will they let me stay that night?

I'm asking about Granon in particular (I'd love to stay there though I do have reservations about sleeping on a mat on the floor; I shall have to see how my back is feeling the evening before).

If it comes to it, I reckon I could walk with my pack from Santo Domingo, but then I might be too uncomfortable to sleep on the floor...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, many albergues accept the bag, but will not assign a bed place until the Pilgrim gets there. In addition, there are drop-off points in almost every village and town, from where you can just pick-it up and head out to the albergue of choice. It is a popular choice to use a transport the first day SJPDP-Roncesvalles. The bags are dropped-off at Albergue La Posada whether you are staying there or not. The company will provide you with a small day pack that you return upon picking up your bag. In the ancient days, churches along the Camino used to provide transport help with young lads who will then walked back helping other pilgrims (remember pilgrims used to walked to Santiago and then WALKED their way back home!).

Every transport company has a website and there they list the places they deliver to/from in every town and village along the Camino(s). I used transport services many times, no complaints whatsoever with Jacotrans.

Some do, some don't. It's best to call ahead and make sure before you send a bag anywhere. We had bags arrive at Albergue San Anton, and we had to send them on ahead to a safe place at Castrojeriz. The bag owners arrived later, and were very unhappy.
But volunteers in a busy, wide-0pen place have enough responsibility without having to secure peoples' luggage.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As others have said, some do and some don't and so it's best to phone ahead. It even depends on the hospitalero in some cases. When I was hospitalero at Parochial at Estella last year, I was willing to accept bags but my fellow hospitalero was dead set against it. I don't know about Granon but suspect they don't. Certainly at Gaucelmo Albergue at Rabanal does not accept Pilgrims who do not carry their own packs. Don't have information on any more unfortunately

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back