• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Part of the camino Francès in 2016

Camembert

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Anybody can give me an advice.?
We walked the caminho Portugues twice and once the camino Inglès .
We are intending to walk a part of the camino Francès next year. 14 days and max 20 kms a day

We will make a trip of 2 months with our car and caravan to Spain and Portugal and in that time walk for a fortnight.
We want to park the car and caravan on a campingsite for ex. León and travel backwards by public transport to a place which will be two weeks walking at our pace and walk back to our camping on the camino.
Anybody has an idea what is an interesting part ?
It is no need to end up in Santiago. We have seen it there allready 3 times.

Is Pamplona a good idea and where should we end up ?

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
hi Albertinho. How to advice on this one ...
Pamplona is definitely a good place to start and I guess in two weeks you will get as far as Burgos (app. 220 kms). This is a good walk, passing green hills and Rioja country, as well as some nice towns. From Burgos you can easily take a train to Leon & to your caravan.
The walk from Burgos to Leon would be app 200 kms and would take you through the mesetas, which I consider to be something really special, but it is not to everybody's liking (flat).
But how to choose which is the nicest or most interesting part of the CF ? - quite impossible imo. I suggest to just keep it simple: start in Pamplona and walk from there, and continue walking the Frances next time around.
Hope this is helpful. Marc.

I would tend to agree. Start in Pamplona. St Jean to Pamplona is great, but it'd really the St Jean to Roncesvalles that is best. So you are only missing one really good day of that section.

Whereas from Pamplona you'll really see some of the best of the CF....every day. Don't stress about how far you might get. You'll get to Burgos OK, Hornillos and Catrojeriz are good sections and give you a flavour of the Meseta. Fromista might be a stretch in the time you have.

The only downside of Burgos to Lean is that you'll have 2 or 3 days of 'Senda' which is not the nicest section..... (last stages into Leon) IMHO probably the most uninspiring sections of the CF ......18, 19, 20 in the Brierly guide,

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you MarcS and Robo. I am going to work out your suggestions and start in Pamplona and walk as far as 14 days .
We did the same on the Camino Ingles last year . Parked our caravan in Valdoviño,north of Ferrol, walked from Ferrol to Santiago and travelled back to Valdoviño by bus.

From Burgos or around we easily can get on our roundtrip to Portugal and the south of Spain

Thanks again.
Buen camino

Hi, Albertinho,
I never thought I'd see you over here in the Camino Frances part of the forum. ;) You know, there's this apparently wonderful Caminho Interior from Viseu to Chaves and on to Verin -- have you seen Aurelio's posts and edumad's pictures? I know some of the towns along that route and it is untraveled Portugal at its finest!

But if you are going to stick with the Frances, I second the idea of parking your van in Pamplona, walking for two weeks, and then hopping a bus back to Pamplona. That is very easy to do on the Frances. I think it's a much better idea to park the car at the starting point and then take a bus/train back to the car, so you are then free to walk as far as you want every day. Sounds like you have a wonderful two month trip planned for next year! Bom caminho, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Anybody can give me an advice.?
We walked the caminho Portugues twice and once the camino Inglès .
We are intending to walk a part of the camino Francès next year. 14 days and max 20 kms a day

We will make a trip of 2 months with our car and caravan to Spain and Portugal and in that time walk for a fortnight.
We want to park the car and caravan on a campingsite for ex. León and travel backwards by public transport to a place which will be two weeks walking at our pace and walk back to our camping on the camino.
Anybody has an idea what is an interesting part ?
It is no need to end up in Santiago. We have seen it there allready 3 times.

Is Pamplona a good idea and where should we end up ?

Another option might be to leave your van in Burgos. There is a nice camping site near the river walk into Burgos http://www.campingburgos.com/ and take public transport to St Jean Pied de Port. See what all the hype is about when starting from there :rolleyes:. It would be an average 20.8 km walk over 14 days, your goal being your lovely comfy van waiting for you in Burgos. Make sure you take the river walk into Burgos :cool:. Then, something to look forward to over the next two years: Burgos to Astorga, and Astorga to Santiago :). Jill

Another option might be to leave your van in Burgos. There is a nice camping site near the river walk into Burgos http://www.campingburgos.com/ and take public transport to St Jean Pied de Port. See what all the hype is about when starting from there :rolleyes:. It would be an average 20.8 km walk over 14 days, your goal being your lovely comfy van waiting for you in Burgos. Make sure you take the river walk into Burgos :cool:. Then, something to look forward to over the next two years: Burgos to Astorga, and Astorga to Santiago :). Jill
Thanks Jill for your alternative. Before I looked on the map, I did not realize the distance from SJPDP to Burgos is about a fortnight to walk.

Last year after walking the camino Inglès and touring through Portugal we ended up in the French place of Sain Jean de Luz nearby Biaritz and made a touristical daytrip to Saint Jean Pied de Port. so we have an impression of the village and "the hype is about ":)
The Burgos campsite is a good idea. We missed it last night .we came from Salamanca and I was intending to go there but due to heavy traffic I decided to avoid the town and go on to the Bask coast. Missed an exit at a toll gate so ended up in Saint Jean de Luz. A long day driving:confused:

A lot to consider. Burgos is on the route via Salamanca ,Cáceres and Évora to Lisbon where we will spend our holiday around the coast and after that we drive to Casa Fernanda, to be hospitaleiros at her pilgrim albergue as we did this year May too.
So it will be another interesting journey with some walking.
Thanks again.

Hi, Albertinho,
I never thought I'd see you over here in the Camino Frances part of the forum. ;) You know, there's this apparently wonderful Caminho Interior from Viseu to Chaves and on to Verin -- have you seen Aurelio's posts and edumad's pictures? I know some of the towns along that route and it is untraveled Portugal at its finest!

But if you are going to stick with the Frances, I second the idea of parking your van in Pamplona, walking for two weeks, and then hopping a bus back to Pamplona. That is very easy to do on the Frances. I think it's a much better idea to park the car at the starting point and then take a bus/train back to the car, so you are then free to walk as far as you want every day. Sounds like you have a wonderful two month trip planned for next year! Bom caminho, Laurie
Hi Laurie,

Mankind can surprise :p two days ago I wrote Stephen Nicolls in a post we had no plans to walk the camino next year .the only plan was being hospitaleiros at casa Fernanda.
Yesterday I passed a bookshop and by coincidence found the book of Derry Brabbs, medival pilgrim roads through France and Spain and was so intriged by it that we changed our coming plans ( we are just back last monday from a camping trip through the French Alsace,the German Black Forest and the German Saar region :) )
Initially we planned a trip next year from Catalunya via Murcia, Malaga and Huelva to Lisbon (Cascais) and so on to Coimbra and Viseu to explore the caminho Portugues Interior first by car. The camino in general keeps us busy. It must be a virus.
Reading the book we got new insights .nothing changes as much as a man :)
Your idea of parking the car and caravan in Pamplona I agree with.
Thanks for your advice.Regards from this side of the world.image.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would agree with this option as well, its a lovely campsite run by friendly people. Its a short walk or cycle in the centre from there.
The walk from Pamplona is really lovely.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

I would agree with this option as well, its a lovely campsite run by friendly people. Its a short walk or cycle in the centre from there.
The walk from Pamplona is really lovely.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.
The Burgos idea can be an option.Professionally I traveled a lot all over Europe and specially the last 3 years before retirement in Spain.As I posted to Laurie our initial plan before the idea to walk next year grew, was entering Spain in the north east , Catalunya where I used to work and than rounding Spain via Valencia, Murcia Malaga to Portugal. A rather complex way to go to Lisbon by the way but..we are pensionado's and have all time of the world.
Last year we came from Ferrol to Lisbon and from there to Sevilla, Cáceres,Salamanca and missed Burgos, ending up nearby Biaritz.(and so had the oportunity to see SJPDP.)
Now studying all propositions on this thread a good idea is going to Pamplona, do our walk and carry on to Zaragossa, Valencia and round the initial plan to Lisbon via Andalucía .
On our way back from casa Fernanda nearby Barcelos in Portugal to Holland the motorway connection will be by León and Burgos so we are able to see these places too.

Thanks for your idea
Buen camino

The Burgos idea can be an option.Professionally I traveled a lot all over Europe and specially the last 3 years before retirement in Spain.As I posted to Laurie our initial plan before the idea to walk next year grew, was entering Spain in the north east , Catalunya where I used to work and than rounding Spain via Valencia, Murcia Malaga to Portugal. A rather complex way to go to Lisbon by the way but..we are pensionado's and have all time of the world.
Last year we came from Ferrol to Lisbon and from there to Sevilla, Cáceres,Salamanca and missed Burgos, ending up nearby Biaritz.(and so had the oportunity to see SJPDP.)
Now studying all propositions on this thread a good idea is going to Pamplona, do our walk and carry on to Zaragossa, Valencia and round the initial plan to Lisbon via Andalucía .
On our way back from casa Fernanda nearby Barcelos in Portugal to Holland the motorway connection will be by León and Burgos so we are able to see these places too.

Thanks for your idea
Buen camino
I would suggest from St Jean to Burgos. Myself and husband did 5 days from St Jean to Estella in 2013 and in 2014 did 7 days from Estella to Burgos walking approx 20kms per day...we used the Brierly guide for our overnight stops along the way. So you would surely cover all that in 14 days with perhaps an extra day in Pamplona or Burgos, both beautiful cities.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would suggest from St Jean to Burgos. Myself and husband did 5 days from St Jean to Estella in 2013 and in 2014 did 7 days from Estella to Burgos walking approx 20kms per day...we used the Brierly guide for our overnight stops along the way. So you would surely cover all that in 14 days with perhaps an extra day in Pamplona or Burgos, both beautiful cities.
Thanks for the advice. Studying seriously now.
Best regards from Holland

Hi Laurie,

Mankind can surprise :p two days ago I wrote Stephen Nicolls in a post we had no plans to walk the camino next year .the only plan was being hospitaleiros at casa Fernanda.
Yesterday I passed a bookshop and by coincidence found the book of Derry Brabbs, medival pilgrim roads through France and Spain and was so intriged by it that we changed our coming plans ( we are just back last monday from a camping trip through the French Alsace,the German Black Forest and the German Saar region :) )
Initially we planned a trip next year from Catalunya via Murcia, Malaga and Huelva to Lisbon (Cascais) and so on to Coimbra and Viseu to explore the caminho Portugues Interior first by car. The camino in general keeps us busy. It must be a virus.
Reading the book we got new insights .nothing changes as much as a man :)
Your idea of parking the car and caravan in Pamplona I agree with.
Thanks for your advice.Regards from this side of the world.View attachment 21560
Hi Albertinho, found the same book last Friday in an old church that is now a bookshop in Maastricht.
Great reading and lovely pictures.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back