• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

parts to be skipped on the camino del norte?

vancouverite26

Time of past OR future Camino
walked part of chemin de st.jacques to st.pied de port (2009), planning on walking the camino del norte
Hi everyone,
I have ca. 30 days from the end of august till the end of september 2013 to walk the camino del norte. I have heard that the part from Irun to San Sebastian is beautiful, so I thought I shouldn't skip this part. However, it'd be a little tight to arrive in Santiago within 30 days, wouldn't it? I would also like to make sure to have enough leeway for a day off etc.
Thus, I have heard parts after Santander and Bilbao aren't that worthwhile and could be skipped (i.e., from Santander with the metro to Portugalete), but I don't have any info up to where after Bilbao to skip and which other parts that aren't that beautiful or lengthy strips of asphalt walking that I could avoid. Any thoughts?
Many thanks for your replies!
Juliane

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Generally speaking I don´t think any parts on any camino should be skipped!
Start where you want to start and walk on. Come back later and continue your camino to Santiago!

I think you are correct in that 30 days would be a push. I took about 33 days and that included a few 40km day walks! (see http://mikesroaming.blogspot.co.uk/sear ... results=40). There are parts that you can choose to skip and although personally I thoroughly enjoyed Bilbao and the stretch to Portuglete. However, if I had to miss some of the camino I would choose to avoid Santander and get to Santillana de Mer.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you get the FEVE from Santander to Barreda, just outside Torrelavega. This misses an industrial section and also the bad bridge near Mogro.
It saves at least 1 day (maybe 2) You could get from Santander to Cobreces in one day - 20kms.

The same is possible at other places along the FEVE line if you need to do so anywhere between Bilbao and Ribadasella. We only know the stretch west of Santander and down to Oviedo then the Primitivo, not the far strech of the Norte.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back