• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Passenger Locator Forms

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankybaby66

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
Hi all, just wondering how the passenger locator forms(Covid) work when travelling for a Camino?
Is there a box to tick marked 'Nomad'?;):D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tons of posts already on this, but whatever address you put in doesn’t matter. First night, last night, Santiago, your nana’s: they don’t actually go visit the address before they nearly instantaneously issue you the QR

Much of the documentation developed as a response (or as a show of response) to covid is neither integrated nor indeed retained. Some of the details asked for are not verified and can be completed randomly with impunity.

The only note of caution I would add is that I’ve never come across an immigration service with a sense of humour.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all, just wondering how the passenger locator forms(Covid) work when travelling for a Camino? Is there a box to tick marked 'Nomad'?;):D
They ask you to cooperate. If you don't want to, you don't want to. In my experience, most travellers cooperate.

In the Portuguese PLF, you can enter any fantasy data you want.

In the Spanish PLF, you are merely required to indicate the town and the autonomous region were you spend your first night but you must indicate a correct email and a correct phone number otherwise you will not receive the QR code that you must have when you want to board a plane to Spain.

France asks you to fill in a form "on your honour". If you don't have any honour you fill in what you want.

No country is wasting human and financial resources on checking much if anything of what you entered on your PLF form.

And, it's been two years of this so it gets a bit 🥱 but, yes, I know, you were just trying to be funny. 🤭

They ask you to cooperate. If you don't want to, you don't want to. In my experience, most travellers cooperate.

In the Portuguese PLF, you can enter any fantasy data you want.

In the Spanish PLF, you are merely required to indicate the town and the autonomous region were you spend your first night but you must indicate a correct email and a correct phone number otherwise you will not receive the QR code that you must have when you want to board a plane to Spain.

France asks you to fill in a form "on your honour". If you don't have any honour you fill in what you want.

No country is wasting human and financial resources on checking much if anything of what you entered on your PLF form.

And, it's been two years of this so it gets a bit 🥱 but, yes, I know, you were just trying to be funny. 🤭
Ok, I am going to get flamed for asking this question, you are all going tell me it has been discussed endlessly, but I don't seem to find exactly what I want. I am from the US, will be traveling from Spain to Portugal. I understand the PLF has to be completed 96 hours before arrival. I am not traveling to Portugal until May 22. I know I need a COVID test and have already made arrangements to get one within the required time frame. Here's my question, when I looked over the PLF there is a note that says this does not replace EVISA. I know that USA citizens don't need a VISA. As I moved around looking at info about the PLF, I was on a site that wanted to charge me 34 euros for the PLF. Is there a fee for the PLF? Do I need an EVISA? Lord, I am confused.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all, just wondering how the passenger locator forms(Covid) work when travelling for a Camino?
Is there a box to tick marked 'Nomad'?;):D
Just put the address of the first hotel/hostel/albergue that you plan to stay in. If you don't have it reserved - well then I guess just put the address of the first hotel/hostel/albergue that you think you might want to stay in! Haha

Ok, I am going to get flamed for asking this question, you are all going tell me it has been discussed endlessly, but I don't seem to find exactly what I want. I am from the US, will be traveling from Spain to Portugal. I understand the PLF has to be completed 96 hours before arrival. I am not traveling to Portugal until May 22. I know I need a COVID test and have already made arrangements to get one within the required time frame. Here's my question, when I looked over the PLF there is a note that says this does not replace EVISA. I know that USA citizens don't need a VISA. As I moved around looking at info about the PLF, I was on a site that wanted to charge me 34 euros for the PLF. Is there a fee for the PLF? Do I need an EVISA? Lord, I am confused.
You don't need an EVISA or an ETIAS (ETIAS VISA WAIVER for Americans) if you are travelling from the US to Europe as a USA citizen on a USA passport in May 2022 (If you are a US citizen residing in another country or you are not a US citizen living in the US - other rules may apply). Anyhow - there were new rules being put into place requiring US citizens to complete the ETIAS visa waiver - but COVID postponed the requirement and implementation of the ETIAS program. It will now be put into effect by the end of 2022. In the meantime - no VISA or EVISA is required.

Here are 2 resources you can use to see what you need for the EU.

You will not get flamed. We never flame on this forum 😇.

First piece of advice: Stay away from that site that wants €34. I don't even want to know what website it is 😵‍💫. It's a scam.

You are a US citizen and you will be travelling from Spain to Portugal. By land or by air? If you travel by train, by bus or on foot, you don't have to fill in the PLF. If by plane, go to https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal and fill in the form that you get when you click on the link that says https://portugalcleanandsafe.pt/en/passenger-locator-card. Very easy to do and no big deal. It's free.

E-visa is a website of the Portuguese government for people with a nationality that requires an application for a visa to travel to the Schengen area to which Spain and Portugal belong. It does not concern US passport holders on trips of up to 3 months (90 days to be precise).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We just arrived in Porto this morning, so let me share our experience regarding forms and tests. We flew from The States. In PHI, as we were flying to MAD, all of our documents were checked. You had to have a QCR code to board the plan. We got our codes two days before traveling with no difficulty. For at least American Airlines, they asked us to use the VeriFLY App which asks you to download both your vaccination information as well as you QCR code for Spain. Having VeriFLY made check in quick and simple. That we were approved on VeriFLY was all they needed to see. As we were connecting in MAD to Iberia for our Porto flight, we only went through immigration. No health documents were looked at. Connecting flights is clearly marked, but you need to have preprinted your boarding passes. Iberia only checked our passports boarding the plane. In Porto, there was a very quick check of vaccination cards. Simple flashing the cards was enough. No covid testing results were required although we had had a PCR on Monday just in case. Regarding travel and documentation, today was very simple and easy. Almost just like the good days. You shouldn’t have any troubles.

You don't need an EVISA or an ETIAS (ETIAS VISA WAIVER for Americans) if you are travelling from the US to Europe as a USA citizen on a USA passport in May 2022 (If you are a US citizen residing in another country or you are not a US citizen living in the US - other rules may apply). Anyhow - there were new rules being put into place requiring US citizens to complete the ETIAS visa waiver - but COVID postponed the requirement and implementation of the ETIAS program. It will now be put into effect by the end of 2022. In the meantime - no VISA or EVISA is required.

Here are 2 resources you can use to see what you need for the EU.

Thank you! The links were very helpful. I had gone down a rabbit hole and got lost.

We just arrived in Porto this morning, so let me share our experience regarding forms and tests. We flew from The States. In PHI, as we were flying to MAD, all of our documents were checked. You had to have a QRC code to board the plan. We got our codes two days before traveling with no difficulty. For at least American Airlines, they asked us to use the VeriFLY App which asks you to download both your vaccination information as well as you QRC code for Spain. Having VeriFLY made check in quick and simple. That we were approved on VeriFLY was all they needed to see. As we were connecting in MAD to Iberia for our Porto flight, we only went through immigration. No health documents were looked at. Connecting flights is clearly marked, but you need to have preprinted your boarding passes. Iberia only checked our passports boarding the plane. In Porto, there was a very quick check of vaccination cards. Simple flashing the cards was enough. No covid testing results were required although we had had a PCR on Monday just in case. Regarding travel and documentation, today was very simple and easy. Almost just like the good days. You shouldn’t have any troubles.
Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had gone down a rabbit hole and got lost.
Yeah - it is so easy to do that! It was funny because I travelled to Europe in 2019 and knew the ETIAS thing was coming (I think in 2020 or 2021). And I remember researching info about it for my 2020 Camino and then my 2021 Camino - but I had forgotten about it until your post! So I had to race and look it up since I am going in May 2022 too! Would have been horrible to have forgotten and find it was required this year!

First piece of advice: Stay away from that site that wants €34. I don't even want to know what website it is 😵‍💫. It's a scam.

You are a US citizen and you will be travelling from Spain to Portugal. By land or by air? If you travel by train, by bus or on foot, you don't have to fill in the PLF. If by plane, go to https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal and fill in the form that you get when you click on the link that says https://portugalcleanandsafe.pt/en/passenger-locator-card. Very easy to do and no big deal. It's free.

E-visa is a website of the Portuguese government for people with a nationality that requires an application for a visa to travel to the Schengen area to which Spain and Portugal belong. It does not concern US passport holders on trips of up to 3 months (90 days to be precise).
Thanks!

We just arrived in Porto this morning, so let me share our experience regarding forms and tests. We flew from The States. In PHI, as we were flying to MAD, all of our documents were checked. You had to have a QCR code to board the plan. We got our codes two days before traveling with no difficulty. For at least American Airlines, they asked us to use the VeriFLY App which asks you to download both your vaccination information as well as you QCR code for Spain. Having VeriFLY made check in quick and simple. That we were approved on VeriFLY was all they needed to see. As we were connecting in MAD to Iberia for our Porto flight, we only went through immigration. No health documents were looked at. Connecting flights is clearly marked, but you need to have preprinted your boarding passes. Iberia only checked our passports boarding the plane. In Porto, there was a very quick check of vaccination cards. Simple flashing the cards was enough. No covid testing results were required although we had had a PCR on Monday just in case. Regarding travel and documentation, today was very simple and easy. Almost just like the good days. You shouldn’t have any troubles.
Hmm... just looked up VeriFly - yes - American Airlines, British Airways, and AerLingus do use that app! My airlines aren't listed on their website. More info for the OP can be found here: https://support.myverifly.com/hc/en-us/sections/4403310292626-Travel-Routes

And your experience into Madrid was the same as mine last year. I never had to show my card after getting out of the airport. But had it with me just in case!

Of course - always keep checking requirements as they do change!

€83,-

Same rules for Canadians? No locator form necessary for bus?

Same rules for Canadians? No locator form necessary for bus?
Yes - that form only applies to certain nationalities FLYING into the country. All other types of travel are excluded from this requirement.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wanted to add something to my earlier posts but they are already past the editing deadline. So I post it here:

The law that required filling in the Passenger Locator Form on all flights to Portugal has been revoked, so it is no longer necessary to present it at the time of boarding.
See Visitportugal website. Best advice I can think of: Just present what your airline wants you to present at the time when you are due for boarding.

I wanted to add something to my earlier posts but they are already past the editing deadline. So I post it here:

The law that required filling in the Passenger Locator Form on all flights to Portugal has been revoked, so it is no longer necessary to present it at the time of boarding.
See Visitportugal website. Best advice I can think of: Just present what your airline wants you to present at the time when you are due for boarding.
Was just about to post this. It's on many of the Portuguese news feeds. But it says, before the new law comes into effect, it has to be posted on the official Portuguese government news feed--which I think might take a day or two. So be sure to check, as Katharina says, for up-to-the-minute rules with your airline.

I am super careful, after the brief cancellation of oks for Canadians visiting, back in February. We had to totally change our plans and travel to Spain and thence to Portugal by land. VERY costly and a total pain. Do not get blind-sided by changes in the rules at the last minute!

It's on many of the Portuguese news feeds. But it says, before the new law comes into effect, it has to be posted on the official Portuguese government news feed
You make a very good point. I saw the information on VisitPortugal and took their word for it. Which was not wise, especially since I'm known to be more than just a bit skeptical of some of the wording on the VisitPortugal website. So I checked as soon as I saw your post.

Phew, sigh of relief. Decreto-Lei n.º 30-E/2022, de 21 de abril, was published in the Portuguese government's Diário da República on 21 April and stipulates that it will enter into force the day after publication which is today 22 April 2022. 😇

Here is the link to the legal text: https://dre.pt/dre/detalhe/decreto-lei/30-e-2022-182432341 and it does indeed say: Adicionalmente, é revogado o regime do formulário de localização de passageiros, deixando de ser obrigatório o preenchimento do Passenger Locator Form pelos passageiros dos voos com destino ou escala em Portugal continental ou de navios cruzeiro que aqui atraquem.

€83,-
I noticed that the US Consulate in Portugal changed the language on their site to this today:

Testing / Vaccination requirements for entry: All passengers 12 years old older must present EITHER

1. EU Digital Vaccination Certificate OR
    • No specific guidance exists indicating if US CDC vaccine card are accepted for proof of vaccination. As such U.S. Embassy Lisbon strongly recommends all U.S. citizens travelling from the United States to Portugal follow option 2, present a negative COVID 19 test before boarding (see below)
  2. Negative COVD Test
    • PCR / NAAT test 72 hours before boarding or
    • Rapid Antigen / TRAg test 24 hours before boarding.

Timely.
I have a friend who is bringing his daughters to walk to Santiago from Porto.
He had no clue what to do until I came across this and forwarded it to him.
Thank you.
Bom Caminho
Paul

Grousedoctor, thank you so much for this information. I came from States to Spain 10 days ago, and am traveling to Lisbon tomorrow. I was searching all over to see if Covid test is required for people holding US vaccine card. So glad to see your report of your experience. I plan to start my first and solo camino on Portugal interior route from Porto in four days. Are you updating your experience somewhere or is there a way to contact you for some updates and advices based on your experience?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back