• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Passport and Credentials Stamps

pilgrimglenn7

Time of past OR future Camino
st james way and portugese
Hey All

We are also wondering where do we get our passports stamped? also can my wife even though she not plan to get the certificate is she allowed to just get stamps in her passport and credentials booklet?

Thanks all

Buen Camino

From Glenn and Karen

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bars, churches, hotels, albuergues, roadside stands, and more will All stamp your credential - no one requires that you are traveling to Santiago to get one! Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes, she can collect stamps with no problem. As she will be driving the campervan, she won´t be eligible for a certificate, but surely she can get stamps as well. They make a very nice memory from the trip :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have possessed and I have lost so many Credencials! One I managed to frame and put on the wall, some are in a drawer someplace, others have gone off to the same place where the matching socks go - somewhere in oblivion. Should I try and hang another Compostela on the wall the better half will probably shoot me so last time around I had the stamps in my Brierley on the page where the albergue/cafe appears. Books are more difficult to lose.55302

Bars, churches, hotels, albuergues, roadside stands, and more will All stamp your credential - no one requires that you are traveling to Santiago to get one! Buen Camino!
thanks so much :) that is all she wants to do and will be happy to know she can do her "camino" with stamps :) she cant walk the trail as she is on a disability pension :) i plan to use a mountain bike
I have possessed and I have lost so many Credencials! One I managed to frame and put on the wall, some are in a drawer someplace, others have gone off to the same place where the matching socks go - somewhere in oblivion. Should I try and hang another Compostela on the wall the better half will probably shoot me so last time around I had the stamps in my Brierley on the page where the albergue/cafe appears. Books are more difficult to lose.View attachment 55302
I have possessed and I have lost so many Credencials! One I managed to frame and put on the wall, some are in a drawer someplace, others have gone off to the same place where the matching socks go - somewhere in oblivion. Should I try and hang another Compostela on the wall the better half will probably shoot me so last time around I had the stamps in my Brierley on the page where the albergue/cafe appears. Books are more difficult to lose.View attachment 55302
awesome scruffy :) well done mate :) how many stamps did you get ? what caminio did you do? did you walk? and how long did you take mate? thanks

I suggest you read the Pilgrim Office page about the credential, particularly the section on the 'necessary conditions'. A strict reading of this would be that your wife would not meet the conditions for having a credential based on the descriptions you have provided in other threads.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In deference to Doug, any person can obtain and use a credencial. The rub is when you present it to claim a 'benefit' at the Pilgrim Office. Allow me to explain...

Just by way of explanation and as an FYI aside, we do have a lot of "car pool pilgrims" especially in the summer. These are groups of people, typically youngish, who pile in a car and drive / party from town to town along a Camino route. They obtain sellos / stamps as these are easy to get. Virtually every business in SPain has a rubber stamp.

They, then, fudge the dates to make it appear that they actually walked the required distance. Usually these folks know the rules well, and are seeking to violate them.

Instead of presenting themselves and just asking for a Certificate of Welcome, they request a Compostela. If the staff is suspect, and from lots of experience, they know the signs of an intending cheater, they will engage the 'pilgrim' in conversation, then casually ask if they took photos of the places they visited along the way. If the pilgrim produces a smartphone and says 'si, want to see them?" The staffer will play along, say 'of course' (por supuesto!) and start looking at photos...

Those of you with smartphones know that your camera dates, and location stamps each photo, and can display them in date order with location names displayed. Nearly always, this produces more questions from the staffer about how they could have walked 60 km in one day, yet look like they "just got out of a car..." Alternatively, someone on staff will actually see them get out of a car or taxi around the corner. It happens nearly every day when I am there during the summer as a volunteer. Spotting the cheats becomes a sport to the security staff and volunteers who roam outside the office.

When we can (collectively) make a clear and unequivocal finding of cheating the Compostela is denied and the folks are told to leave...period...

Of course, this could all be prevented if people who do not meet the Compostela issuance requirements just asked for the Certificate of Welcome instead.

Hope this helps.

Hey All

We are also wondering where do we get our passports stamped? also can my wife even though she not plan to get the certificate is she allowed to just get stamps in her passport and credentials booklet?

Thanks all

Buen Camino

From Glenn and Karen
We got one a couple of years ago at the ALSA Booking office in Aviles

In deference to Doug, any person can obtain and use a credencial. The rub is when you present it to claim a 'benefit' at the Pilgrim Office. Allow me to explain...
That is true, but in doing so they are agreeing to the condition that 'This Credencial is only for pilgrims on foot, bicycle or horseback, who wish to make the pilgrimage with a Christian sentiment, even if it is only with an attitude of search.' The OP has made it clear elsewhere his spouse is not intending to walk or ride, so it would be misleading to obtain a credential under those circumstances.

Further, there is this: 'Groups organised with support car or by bicycle are requested to seek alternative shelter to the pilgrim hostels', and it appears that the OP and his spouse could be considered a group - they are certainly not independent individuals on the face of what we have been told.

I understand that there will be individuals who do not respect their undertakings on these matters, which leaves the pilgrim office staff and hospitaleros with the unenviable task of standing up to those who have failed to comply. And I presume at least some these people have already schooled themselves to present in a genuinely convincing fashion.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Glenn and Karen -

Another couple of thoughts on credentials ...

Do you have your credentials yet? If you order your credentials through Ivar through his Forum Store you'll have them before you leave. (I can recommend also buying the plastic cover - excellent to protect this valuable document).

Here in Sydney we have the St James Church in the middle of the city - the church offices have their own Sello and will happily stamp credentials for those pilgrims leaving from Sydney. Perhaps you have a St James Church in a city near you who also has their own Sello - it's a lovely thing to have as your first stamp.

Also - if either of you are writing a hard copy journal, it's a great thing to have your journal stamped along The Way - it adds to the memories of your pilgrimage in a very special way. A lot of the Sellos are very beautiful - for example, the Sello from the monastery at Samos.

Buen Camino to you both and cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Hi Glenn and Karen -

Another couple of thoughts on credentials ...

Do you have your credentials yet? If you order your credentials through Ivar through his Forum Store you'll have them before you leave. (I can recommend also buying the plastic cover - excellent to protect this valuable document).

Here in Sydney we have the St James Church in the middle of the city - the church offices have their own Sello and will happily stamp credentials for those pilgrims leaving from Sydney. Perhaps you have a St James Church in a city near you who also has their own Sello - it's a lovely thing to have as your first stamp.

Also - if either of you are writing a hard copy journal, it's a great thing to have your journal stamped along The Way - it adds to the memories of your pilgrimage in a very special way. A lot of the Sellos are very beautiful - for example, the Sello from the monastery at Samos.

Buen Camino to you both and cheers from Oz -
Jenny
Hey Jenny thanks mate for your comment and much appreciative :) yes i have been to the St James church in Sydney a few times before i knew of the caminoes. I was last there in June 2004 but in Sydney in February 2017

Thanks again and i will look into where to find a St James Church :)

Buen Camino and God bless

Ps have you been on a Camino ? Which one? please and thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bars, churches, hotels, albuergues, roadside stands,
...libraries, Guardia Civil, railway's stations...., sometimes (on less frequented ways) I had to explain what is the credencial and why is the stamp….
Experts and veterans should confirm, but in my opinion an important point is that the stamp indicates from where it is. I say that because in one ocasión I was given a nice stamp of the "Ruta de los Monasterios" (GR236 in Valencia) but with no indication of the city. Other day I got a stamp of an "Associación de Amigos del Camino de xxx" in a village at 50 km of xxx. If the objective is just collecting stamps, no problem, but if it is to prove that you walked that way it is obligatory to know where it was.
Buen camino
Jean-Luc

...libraries, Guardia Civil, railway's stations...., sometimes (on less frequented ways) I had to explain what is the credencial and why is the stamp….
Experts and veterans should confirm, but in my opinion an important point is that the stamp indicates from where it is. I say that because in one ocasión I was given a nice stamp of the "Ruta de los Monasterios" (GR236 in Valencia) but with no indication of the city. Other day I got a stamp of an "Associación de Amigos del Camino de xxx" in a village at 50 km of xxx. If the objective is just collecting stamps, no problem, but if it is to prove that you walked that way it is obligatory to know where it was.
Buen camino
Jean-Luc
Jean Luc much obliged yes my wife is collecting stamps as she knows she can never do what i am planning as that is why she will be in a hire car and we stay in private rooms :) but will try and get where she was and i will be doing the same at least 2 to show where i was in each town with dates :)

Feel free to ask my anything :)

Have a awesome weekend and Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back