• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Passport control between Spain and Portugal?

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Is there a passport control between Spain and Portugal? When you cross from France to Spain from St Jean to Roncesvalles there are no checks, but are there checks between Spain and Portugal?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We drove from Santiago to Fatima (Portugal) last year, no passports required. Funny thing was we flew from US to France, walked into and across Spain, drove to Portugal and back to Spain, took a train to France, and our return flight from France went through Germany ? (not sure why, wrong direction). My passport got stamped when we arrived in France, stamped again because we changed planes in Germany, and then back home in USA. Visited 3 countries when we were in Europe and I got a Germany stamp in my passport because of a 2 hour layover there :) Never got out of the airport :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No passport control but, weirdly, you have to change your watch forward by an hour, as Franco moved Spain onto the same time zone as his Nazi friends.

No passport control but, weirdly, you have to change your watch forward by an hour, as Franco moved Spain onto the same time zone as his Nazi friends.

Well, I think that Madrid could have CET/GMT+1 time, but for Galicia it's stupid, because it's on the same meridian has Lisbon and London.

Best Regards
Diogo

No such animal, extinct years ago-if you know Portuguese you don't even have to change a language since Galego is so similar.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Spain andPortugal are in between the Schengen area. Coming outside the EEC you will have to show your passport and eventually a visa. Between the countries who signed the Schengen agreement there is no controll. It is the same in the USA. Arriving from outside the USA you have to show your passport and an ESTA document.. Between all states you can travel free.

This is just not true. The Spanish peninsula has observed GMT since 1 Jan 1901.

You might perhaps like to check your facts before making quite such a confident assertion.

Portugal, in the Iberian peninsula, is indeed still on Greenwich Mean Time, but Spain moved forward onto what is now called Central European Time soon after Franco met Hitler at Hendaye in 1940:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/...been-in-the-wrong-time-zone-for-seven-decades

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is just not true. The Spanish peninsula has observed GMT since 1 Jan 1901.

Well, they are GMT+1/CET. At least Galicia could be on the same timezone has Portugal.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
OK OK guys!
With regards to Passports, I took a bus from Salamanca to Porto. As we crossed the Portuguese border we had to show our passports - the border control men actually boarded our bus to check them. One girl didn't bring her passport: there was quite a fuss and she was allowed through only when her friend vouched for her. If in doubt - take your passports!

OK OK guys!
With regards to Passports, I took a bus from Salamanca to Porto. As we crossed the Portuguese border we had to show our passports - the border control men actually boarded our bus to check them. One girl didn't bring her passport: there was quite a fuss and she was allowed through only when her friend vouched for her. If in doubt - take your passports!

What the heck?! That's not normal. You probably catch some control because there was a search warrant for someone, but that it's not normal! I've done Santiago de Compostela to Lisbon by bus, border crossing was, how can I say it, I didn't see it! I've only noticed that I was already in Portugal, because I've received and text message on my phone from Optimus/Orange, saying that I was using again my normal service, and that Roaming has been deactivated.

We didn't passed any toll, any check point, any control thing.

Best Regards
Diogo

There is no passport control within the EU.....hasn't been since EU formed.

The only reason the police would board a bus is that they were actually looking for someone and were checking ID.

Most countries do "require" that non EU citizens have passports with them at all times but do not stop people to check. A traffic stop or accident could trigger a problem if you did no have it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The only reason the police would board a bus is that they were actually looking for someone
Or to stay employed. Police still check buses before the tunnel from France to Spain at Canfranc Estacion. It may be under the guise of enforcing regulations on hazardous materials in the tunnel, but on a bus? A cursory check? An occasional random check of passenger ID's? Still, they do stop vehicles and board buses, so border checks are not entirely gone.

There is no passport control within the EU.....hasn't been since EU formed.

The only reason the police would board a bus is that they were actually looking for someone and were checking ID.

Most countries do "require" that non EU citizens have passports with them at all times but do not stop people to check. A traffic stop or accident could trigger a problem if you did no have it.

Thats not entirely true ... its not EU ... its Schengen Area. There are countries that are part of EU and not part of Schengen Treaty. The wiki article has good description.

Schengen Area
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I periodically take the bus between Bilbao and Biarritz and more often than not there is a police barrage on the bridge between Irun and Hendaye. I have also seen this same thing at the bus stop in St. Jean de Luz. It is just a matter of showing them your passport or ID card, but I have also seen people removed from the bus a few times because they lacked the proper paperwork.

Last edited:
Sorry I meant to post this to the CF site, I had zero issues walking across the bridge from Valenca to Tui.

Thats not entirely true ... its not EU ... its Schengen Area. There are countries that are part of EU and not part of Schengen Treaty. The wiki article has good description.

Schengen Area
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area
That'swhat I wrote here before on this thread.
I travel since many years around Europe as a European citizen either by car or airplane or ferry. The only place where you show your passport is entering airports if you fly to another country. It is the same as you enter the US. Arriving in New York from Europe you have all the ID controlls. Flying domestic to other states no passportcontrol.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back