• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Passport, Credencial and Certificate Care

jgiesbrecht

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Fisterra, Muxia Sept-Oct 2020
Just a couple questions...
First, how did you keep your passport and credencial from bending/damaging during your walk?

Second, in Sahagun, I have read different answers....has anyone been there recently and can they tell me if you can or cannot buy a tube to keep that certificate from bending?

The certificates are important to me....yes I know they are just a piece of paper, but it is good for me mentally to have memories that tell me specific things about what I have done. I know in Santiago I can get a tube.

What about Finisterre and Muxia as well? I guess I could double or triple up in my original tube.
I just don't want to have to carry the Sahagun one for a while without protection for that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ivar´s Camino Store has a sleeve for the Credential in case you won´t have it wrinkled:

otherwise ziplock plastic bags in the right size will do the trick for both passport and Credential...

I got mine in a papeleria here is a book store 24320, Av. la Constitución, 63, 24320 Sahagún, León, Spanien, contact them over Facebook and ask them if they have a tube the passport went well in a zip lock.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Take a thin, flat document folder that doesn't bend (like a manila folder), put the certificates in there, and stow it in a laptop compartment if your bag has one. I had the credential in the outside pocket of my backpack where no forces applied during the walk (it also never rained, but I would've had a backpack cover and ziploc bag for that case).

My original credential from the Confraternity of St James in the UK came in a small plastic wallet which can be re-used for subsequent credentials/Caminos. I had it in an easily accessible zip pocket on the outside of my pack, and it was fine there.

First, how did you keep your passport and credencial from bending/damaging during your walk?

Second, in Sahagun, I have read different answers....has anyone been there recently and can they tell me if you can or cannot buy a tube to keep that certificate from bending?

The certificates are important to me....yes I know they are just a piece of paper, but it is good for me mentally to have memories that tell me specific things about what I have done. I know in Santiago I can get a tube.

What about Finisterre and Muxia as well? I guess I could double or triple up in my original tube.
I just don't want to have to carry the Sahagun one for a while without protection for that.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I received a Carta Peregrina in early October and was able to get a tube for it right there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I got the certificate this year just for the fun of it and they have tubes there. I put my passport in a ziplock bag with my passport and keep it in my money belt.

I always carry my passport in a zip-loc bag. You can buy a mailing tube at the post office and take it with you or buy one at the pilgrim's office in Santiago.

Ivar´s Camino Store has a sleeve for the Credential in case you won´t have it wrinkled:

otherwise ziplock plastic bags in the right size will do the trick for both passport and Credential...
In Sahagun in the Convent museum where you can get your halfway certificate they sell tubes for it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Yes indeed and I've used them previously on each camino I've walked. But there's an issue - I've just bought 3 new credencials from Ivar (well 2 really as one was free with the VDLP guide) and have discovered they are slightly larger than the previous version and consequently they don't fit 'easily' into the plastic wallet (they do fit but its a very very tight fit). So I'm left wondering - do I cut a slice off the top to match the old size, or buy a new plastic wallet and hope they have been made larger to suit the larger credential?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes indeed and I've used them previously on each camino I've walked. But there's an issue - I've just bought 3 new credencials from Ivar (well 2 really as one was free with the VDLP guide) and have discovered they are slightly larger than the previous version and consequently they don't fit 'easily' into the plastic wallet (they do fit but its a very very tight fit). So I'm left wondering - do I cut a slice off the top to match the old size, or buy a new plastic wallet and hope they have been made larger to suit the larger credential?
I had that issue too. 😕

I had that issue too. 😕
Which leaves me wondering is it a cunning plan to encourage me to buy a replacement plastic wallet? Imagine all those plastic wallets around the globe - now effectively redundant unless you have the grip of a marine. Maybe we should start a campaign to restore credencials to their 'true' size. Or maybe just use ziplock bag and consign the plastic wallet to the landfill (or the bottom drawer). Quiet day here in storm battered UK.

Which leaves me wondering is it a cunning plan to encourage me to buy a replacement plastic wallet? Imagine all those plastic wallets around the globe - now effectively redundant unless you have the grip of a marine. Maybe we should start a campaign to restore credencials to their 'true' size. Or maybe just use ziplock bag and consign the plastic wallet to the landfill (or the bottom drawer). Quiet day here in storm battered UK.
I found that the problem with the new Cathedral issued credentials isn't their length and width, which is the same as the previous credential, but the fact that they are printed on thicker paper.
Last year I used a credential from American Pilgrims on the Camino, and it fits fine in the holder. This year I plan to use the pretty credential I ordered from the Portuguese association, and it doesn't fit the holder at all - too long.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I found that the problem with the new Cathedral issued credentials isn't their length and width, which is the same as the previous credential, but the fact that they are printed on thicker paper.
Last year I used a credential from American Pilgrims on the Camino, and it fits fine in the holder. This year I plan to use the pretty credential I ordered from the Portuguese association, and it doesn't fit the holder at all - too long.
The ones I got last week from the Camino Shop are definitely bigger than those supplied previously - same width but about 6mm longer/taller hence the tight fit into the wallet. As you say the paper also feels thicker and has a rather odd pattern down the spine and across the bottom - my first thought was someone has been drawing on them in biro. No biggie.

Hi all
I just thought I would share with you my experiences with regard to using a plastic envelope. In January 2020 I walked the Camino Portuguese and used a envelope from the Camino Forum Shop. The ones that are currently sold do indeed fit the credential. If however yours does not seem to fit I would obtain the following on Amazon. They are 5 1/2 by 7 and a 1/2 plastic envelopes. They are relatively inexpensive and they fit all types of credentials including the sizes for the CSJ in England and also the French size credential, which are taller than the US and Spanish ones.
Another important aspect is that these are fastened with Velcro and not a button snap made of plastic or metal. Those with a snap will dent your passport.

Hi all
I just thought I would share with you my experiences with regard to using a plastic envelope. In January 2020 I walked the Camino Portuguese and used a envelope from the Camino Forum Shop. The ones that are currently sold do indeed fit the credential. If however yours does not seem to fit I would obtain the following on Amazon. They are 5 1/2 by 7 and a 1/2 plastic envelopes. They are relatively inexpensive and they fit all types of credentials including the sizes for the CSJ in England and also the French size credential, which are taller than the US and Spanish ones.
Another important aspect is that these are fastened with Velcro and not a button snap made of plastic or metal. Those with a snap will dent your passport.

Thank you. The newer credentials issued by the Cathedral (they kind that Ivar sells) are made from a thicker stock than previous ones, and are harder to slip into the plastic envelopes that Ivar sells. And the Portuguese credentials don't fit at all.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I use a heavy plastic sleeve that I got in an Airport (I think it was Swissair out of Zurich) when I checked in online and had printed out my baggage tag. It is much stiffer than a ziploc and a perfect size for the credencial; I just whacked off the loop at the top that attached it to the luggage. (The additional advantage is that it has a big red stripe at the top so that your forum buddies can find and ID your credencial at a glance after you've lost it. ;) This was a photo posted by @peregrina2000 , letting me know she had done just that.)
1601563629210.png

Last edited:
When we got our half way certificates in Sahagun we went back to the post office and sent them home. Didn't have to worry about them after that. They went in a cardboard envelope and arrived in Australia perfectly flat. Passports from SJPDP went in a plastic ziplock - 4 in the one ziplock bag. I carried them in my trouser pocket. They were in pretty good shape at the end, a little curved on my leg after 800km but then I think that told its own story!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I buy a Loksak/Opsak that is big enough to hold my passport and credential. They are waterproof ziplock style baggies. Regular ziplock bags are NOT waterproof. But - they often work too. But LokSak/OpSaks are actually waterproof as long as you seal them. I keep my passport in my "fanny pack/bum bag", and keep that with me AT ALL TIMES (including in the shower).

You only need one tube to put all your certificates in. I missed getting mine in Sahugan, Muxia, and Finisterre last year. Hoping to get them all this year! I might even bring my credential for Fisterra/Muxia from last year and try to get those this year too!

Edited to add: I am laughing because I just realized this question is from 2020! Hopefully the OP has figured it out by now!

Last edited by a moderator:
I kept them in a ziplock freezer baggie with my passport. They did not get bent up or ruined in any way. I would then put them in the top part of my backpack or inside my little crossbody purse.

Thanks for the link! Always wanted to pre-purchase the Holy Year credential before leaving (sold out in my country’s CSJ) but felt I should find other things to buy to justify the shipping fee. So now I have a sleeve for my credential 🤪 and other Camino paraphernalia! Thanks Ivar!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.