• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Passport expiry date: It may not be what it seems.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The UK passport authority have stopped adding-on unexpired months when you renew your passport so - stealth inflation alert - assuming you renew it before it expires (necessary because to enter Schengen one needs at least three months’ validity) - a ten year passport only lasts 9 years and 9 months.

Interesting. In Canada they have never given any credit for renewing early. And we've always been warned that countries could deny us entry if our passport expires within six months of travel.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
True! For US to Schengen: "Spain is a party to the Schengen Agreement. This means that U.S. citizens may enter Spain for up to 90 days for tourism or business without a visa. Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay. You must have sufficient funds and a return airline ticket."

I do believe if you don't have a return ticket then your US passport must be good for 6 months (which would be 3 months beyond when you have to return to the US under a 90 da tourism agreement.

Last edited by a moderator:
The article, on a BBC webpage, is not quite accurate, and I'm not sure whether the lady at Bournemouth Airport had quite understood it. The Schengen Border Code states that a non-EU national when entering the EU/Schengen area must have a passport that:
  • is valid at least three months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the EU
  • has been issued within the previous 10 years.
The second point means that the passport must not be older than 10 years on the day of travelling. The Hampshire woman's passport fulfilled these conditions: It was issued on 29 May 2012 [currently not yet even ten years old] and it is valid until 28 February 2023.

The UK government states this in clear language for Portugal and so do the EU/Schengen countries themselves, for example the Spanish government. Pity that this article was not better researched.

Last edited:
The level of ignorance of Schengen rules in some ... erm ... circles is breathtaking sometimes. I post this link only because it also concerns passports of British citizens travelling to Portugal, and it is very up to date, and there has been a very misleading and uninformed article in a major newspaper recently. No further comment necessary:

and

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Canada they have never given any credit for renewing early. And we've always been warned that countries could deny us entry if our passport expires within six months of travel.
I think that this bonus business is a peculiarity of the UK passport issuing authority, and as @henrythedog has said they are no longer doing it but there will be of course, for years to come, still numerous UK nationals who have passports with a validity of more than 10 years.

Last edited:
I had wondered to which airline the "the lady at Bournemouth Airport" belongs. It is Ryanair. Can the Hampshire family sue them?

The next day there was already a new article on the BBC website. Quote: "Entry should be allowed to those travelling with passports issued within the previous 10 years at the moment of entry into the Schengen Area, it added."

You'll have to excuse the British press. They used to be obsessed by the weather or Lady Di.

This has now been replaced by anything European or EU - and usually it is well researched so they can print incorrect information. It's all about creating 'clickbait'

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I understand that the EU Schengen rules are new to British travellers although they have now been in force for them for one and a half year already. But they are not new to the EU and they are not new to numerous other non-EU travellers as members of this forum can testify ☺️. That they are new to Lord Frost, formerly known as David Frost, is mind boggling ... although, perhaps not so surprising, all things considered ...

And for any half talented journalist or editor they are easy to research from the comfort of their offices. For example the new e-gates that Portugal has installed in Lisbon and Porto: If you go on the Facebook page of the Portuguese Border Control service SEF or read their press release, you will immediately see that this has nothing to do with Brexit or Britons as such. The service is available to holders of biometric passports from the UK, Australia, Japan, New Zealand and Singapore at least. It will speed up the process and reduce lines of arriving passengers but all of them will have to queue subsequently to get their Schengen entry stamp in their non-EU passports. Nothing special, business as usual.

egates Portugal.jpg

And for any half talented journalist or editor they are easy to research from the comfort of their offices.

It took me about 5 seconds to find the SEF press release thanks to Google:

The Foreigners and Borders Service (SEF) started this week the operation of four new generation e-gates at Lisbon Airport, ensuring a faster and more functional border control at arrivals for nationals of the United Kingdom, Australia, Japan, New Zealand and Singapore.
These new e-gates have a faster and more functional operating system, which allows passports with biometric data to be read more quickly, and are part of a set of 50 that are in operation in all national airports.
The RAPID system enables automated border control, supervised by SEF Inspectors. Automatically, and in less than 20 seconds, the system authenticates the travel document and, through a facial recognition system, compares in a moment the passenger's face with the photograph registered on the document's chip through a proprietary algorithm and a technological biometrics solution. After validation of the identification process, which includes a search in international databases, the passenger is authorised to continue his/her journey.

What is also ridiculous about this kind of reporting is the fact that this news story was presented as something unusual and as if Portugal is acting against EU Schengen rules while the exact opposite is the case. I'm posting this because it is part of the EU's future Entry-Exit System that is currently in its pilot phase and will be implemented eventually for all non-EU travellers, with the roll-out perhaps already starting by the end of 2022 in international EU airports. For info, below is a recent tweet by Frontex. I note that the photo was taken in a Spanish airport, and the logo of the National Spanish police can be seen.

Travellers may consider it useful to have a biometric passport.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oh the joys of biometric passports. Six years ago on returning from a Camino to Stansted airport in the UK my friend who did not have one went through the manual inspection channel. With my freshly issued biometric passport I queued for just over an hour only to be told that, as two machines had failed to read my passport, I had to join another queue for it to be inspected.
45 minutes later the border control agent asked me where I had just come from and my response "Queuing for an hour in the biometric section" did not go down well.
Speed things up? I doubt it.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back