• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Passport lost

Time of past OR future Camino
have done 4...did sjpdp to Santiago in March 2017
Hi all. My daughter Katie Markham started the Camino in Sarria 9th April. Unfortunately she has mislaid her passport. Would like to put the word out there. Many thanks John

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi all. My daughter Katie Markham started the Camino in Sarria 9th April. Unfortunately she has mislaid her passport. Would like to put the word out there. Many thanks John

Hi, John,
Just a point of clarification. Is this her national country passport, or her pilgrim credencial? If it's the credencial that she lost, I think the pilgrims' office tends to be understanding, so long as she gets a replacement ASAP. A few pictures from the early parts will also help. But I know there may also be some sentimental value to trying to find it. You might also want to edit the title to say something like "Pilgrim passport lost near Sarria" or something to narrow it a bit. Good luck with this quest! Laurie

Our son's US passport was stolen in Spain (he was in Ibiza, we were at mile 450), but was easily replaced at the embassy in Madrid. It does not take more than a few hours to replace (unless it is a holiday in Spain). So please reassure her that it will be okay whether it is a pilgrim passport or an national passport. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Depending on the country of citizenship a national passport is required to check into lodging.

It cannot be done on a weekend, and be sure to have cash. The U.S. embassy there is among the most unhelpful I have encountered.
I guess like most services, it depends on who is at the window when one steps up to it. We arrived on a Thursday afternoon - our son was going to meet us in Madrid on Friday. He had miraculously (after several hours of begging and providing a photo of his passport on his phone) managed to get on a plane in Ibiza back to Salamanca where he was taking classes.

As you noted, the embassy is closed for the weekend and we found out on that Thursday afternoon, that Friday was a holiday. Our plane back to the US left on Sunday . . . . The very kind woman at our window said she would wait there after hours (of course they were also closing at 1:00 that day due to the holiday on Friday) if we could get our son from Salamanca to Madrid that day. He managed to get himself there via a two hour bus ride by late afternoon. There is a photo booth for the replacement passport photo in the lobby of the embassy - the photo on his temporary passport is a great visual for how miserable the experience was for him.

A few weeks later, on a particularly nice day, he noted how he wished he had not been so consumed with worry when his passport was stolen. It all worked out and it was not that difficult to replace. That is why I commented on this thread. :)

However, we were at the end of our trip and as Trecile notes, one needs both passports for lodging, so I hope Katie finds her passport or is not too far from an embassy.

Good luck!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all.
Am glad to report that my daughters password showed up. Many thanks due to all involved. Particularly the good folk of Villamartin Albergue in Portomarin. Also I want to say that the owner of Albergue Outeiro in Palas de Rei was really helpful. He made all the phone calls and treated the problem as if it was his own passport that had gone missing. Great guy. A big problem averted. Thanks to you all for the advice. We are now on track to get to Santiago in time for Pilgrims mass Friday.
Best wishes John

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back