• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Passport or certification or both?

Judith E

Time of past OR future Camino
I want to start with the French Way from St jean Pied de Port and go to Santiago at least(I hope)and perhaps Finisterre.
Hi everyone,I was at an info session on El camino and there were hand outs fron the gov of galicia which included a map and a passport of sorts with room to put stamps on it but someone else mentioned getting certification from Canadian association or at St Jean.What is the difference?Do I need both?Judith E

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone,I was at an info session on El camino and there were hand outs fron the gov of galicia which included a map and a passport of sorts with room to put stamps on it but someone else mentioned getting certification from Canadian association or at St Jean.What is the difference?Do I need both?Judith E
Hello Judith,

As far as I know you can collect your passport ( officially called a credential ) at the pilgrims office in St Jean. every day get it stamped on your travels, obtainable from Albergue plus many other establishments. On arrival at Satiago you present you credentials at the Officina de Peregrinos and receive you certificate ( officially called the Compostela ).
WELL DONE YOU HAVE MADE IT.
I hope this answers your query.
Buen Camino......Keith.

Judith, many local pilgrim associations, such as the CSJ or Peterborough Pilgrims in the UK, will provide you with a Credencial (passport) bearing their stamp. This shows that you are a pilgrim, accredited by that organisation. This is the document on which you collect sellos (stamps) from the place that you start your pilgrimage, such as the pilgrims' office in StJdP or wherever, and regularly during your journey. Ideally collect two per day.

However there is no requirement, in the modern age, to be accredited by one of the pilgrim associations any more than that you carry a letter from your parish priest releasing you from your paroquial obligations for the duration of your pilgrimage. You can purchase a Credencial at the pilgrims' office, at many Albergues and at other varied locations along the Way. Usual price 1 € but variable. Peterborough Pilgrims will provide one for free, though a donation against costs is obviously appreciated.

There is nothing that prevents you from creating your own "Credencial"' it is, like your handout from the Xunta Galicia, somewhere to collect stamps. But I am rather fond of the "official"' accredited document. It's got some great Latin that took me real effort to translate...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Judith...was that in Victoria? I have the document you refer to as well, and while it is very nice and I get the question..I am not sure either.

You would think that nothing is more official than the government, but I am not sure this applies to this, as I understood there were restrictions on who could issue credentials.

The space allowed for stamps is quite limited and appears to be designed for use only in Galicia, so if you are starting from further back you'd still need a credential from somewhere else, either a place on the route or from your local association in many instances.

More experienced pilgrims should be able to chime in and tell you who to contact for the answer on this. The Pilgrim Office in SdC?

As for me, I have the passport issued by the Canadian Company of Pilgrims. Quite easily identified by the bright green colour. If you are in Canada and would like this, info is on their website.

There has been lots of discussion on credentials and sellos (stamps) on this forum so searching for that will give useful and sometimes critical information on credentials and collecting stamps: how many, how often etc..

No real help, I know. A bit of a different situation.

Hmmmm...the Tourist Authorities in Galicia with no consultation with either the Pilgrims' Office or the Amigos Associations have produced the brochure which you were given. Whilst it has good information it doesn't serve well in practical terms sd s credencial because it just doesn't have enough boxes for sellos and is cumbersome to use - in terms of space you are going to have to pick up another credencial in any event, which you can easily do when you arrive in Spain - one which has been designed with pilgrims in mind!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Judith.......you may want to explore getting your credential from the Canadian Company of Pilgrims because it is a really nice one. It is plasticized on the front and back cover, the pages are very heavy paper and there is room for 90 stamps, which may sound like a lot but once you start collecting them you will appreciate how interesting many of them are. (At least it was when I got it in 2011.) The primary reason for a credential is, of course, to prove to the Pilgrims Office in Santiago that you have done the pilgrimage and you can then receive your compostela. But it is also a very good keepsake, tracking where you went, what bars.....or churches....you visited. It fun to look at again, when you get home. The CCoP website is http://www.santiago.ca; just follow the links to sign up for a membership and order your credential. I'm not sure when you are leaving; I think it takes a month or so for it to arrive but it is worth the wait. I wish you a wonderful pilgrimage, whenever you decide to go.

Buen Camino
Grace

I received my credential from the American Camino Organization. It was free, but they do ask for a donation. I sent $5. It had my name written in with the Camino Frances which I am walking. Check to see if it is offered through your country's organization. You can, as mentioned, get one from the Pilgrims office.

Kris

The Galician government's document is a tourism brochure with some really great maps, as Johnny says. But, if you want a compostela when you get to Santiago (after walking the minimum 100 km just before Santiago), you will need to prove that you did so--- the Canadian credential (or, if you're from the US, the APOC credential--- most countries have their own Camino association) or the one you can get at Saint Jean Pied de Port will be necessary. As well, the credential is needed for admission to the network of albergues along the way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back