• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Passport Stamping

Camino_chris

Is it necessary to get the passport stamped every night? I am planning to do SJPP to Santiago, but intend to take a few days break along the route and stay in hotels those days. Do I neeed a stamp for the passport those days or can I miss out a few?

Regards

Chris

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Stamping the credential

Hi Chris,
Many pilgrims will remember that wonderful 90 year old woman (Felisa) who had a ramshackle stall on the side of the road just outside Logrono with a sign that read: Higos-Agua y Amor (Figs - water and love) and, of course a sellos (stamp).
Felisa died on 21 October 2002 and a little bit of the charm of the camino died with her.
You can have your passport stamped at refuges, cafe-bars, churches, museums, town halls, tourist offices, hotels, inns etc. This means that you can collect many stamps every day - and, they are all valid - they do not have to be stamped by the refuge.
In 2002 I filled up two credentials with beautiful stamps and I am prud of all them. When I handed it in at the Pilgrim's Office, there were so many stamps that there was little doubt that I had walked the entire distance from Roncesvalles to Santiago!
So dear pilgrim, enjoy those special occasions when you can stay in a hotel (sheets! private loo! pillows!).
Sil

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Re: Stamping the credential

Wd I need an additional attachment for the stamps..
Thanks
sillydoll said:
Hi Chris,
Many pilgrims will remember that wonderful 90 year old woman (Felisa) who had a ramshackle stall on the side of the road just outside Logrono with a sign that read: Higos-Agua y Amor (Figs - water and love) and, of course a sellos (stamp).
Felisa died on 21 October 2002 and a little bit of the charm of the camino died with her.
You can have your passport stamped at refuges, cafe-bars, churches, museums, town halls, tourist offices, hotels, inns etc. This means that you can collect many stamps every day - and, they are all valid - they do not have to be stamped by the refuge.
In 2002 I filled up two credentials with beautiful stamps and I am prud of all them. When I handed it in at the Pilgrim's Office, there were so many stamps that there was little doubt that I had walked the entire distance from Roncesvalles to Santiago!
So dear pilgrim, enjoy those special occasions when you can stay in a hotel (sheets! private loo! pillows!).
Sil

Hi Kathy,

If you are asking where you receive these stamps, you will need to get a Pilgrims Passport (also called a credential). In each albergue you stay in they will stamp this passport.

Where can you get this passport?
Have a look here:
viewtopic.php?t=110

Un saludo,
Ivar

It should be noted that Sarria is the last place along the Camino Frances that you can pick up a credential, so if you're walking a longer distance than Sarria-Santiago, you might want to get an extra one there. I have heard that you can attach paper to extend the credential if you run out of space, but I think it would be tidier to have 2 different credentials. Of course, your mileage may vary. :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Credential

I ordered my "passport" from the Confraternity of St. James, I think in San Franciso. They have a website. They sent us 2 passports each, plus a nice magazine with interesting articles on the Camino. It took about a week. They also issued us a "registration number."

The CSJ credencial has spaces for about 60 stamps, and those spaces are big! That should be more than enough for one's needs from SJPP to Santiago or even to Finisterre Some days I got 3 stamps along the way. Most of the time get only one at the albergue where I stay for the night.

Mark TQM

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.