Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Masks
This week, 50% off ALL Camino Masks

Past Pleasures of Urban Walking

mspath

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
The New York Times 03/11/2020 published a review by Parul Sehgal of The Walker , a new book by Matthew Beaumont who reasons "the slow death of purposeless walking as symptom of the slow death of democracy, of the human"
His is an erudite and well documented discussion of selected authors across time who found themselves by losing themselves in the delight of the then modern city.

Today such past easy meanderings as Matthew recounts seem, under the nearly universal confinement due to the Covid19 pandemic, to be impossible dreams.

Last edited:
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Published on Amazon
Guide to the 16 main caminos with maps, pictures, hyperlinks and other information.

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
some and then more. see my signature.
Merci @mspath once again for sharing this article.
On my ever growing reading list.

This especially captured my interest.

"Borrowing from Baudelaire’s description of the flâneur as a “kaleidoscope gifted with consciousness,” Beaumont calls the distracted walker “a smartphone endowed with consciousness.”

Thank you!

Last edited:

Paladina

old woman of the roads
CF, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles etc (2018), Mozarabe etc (2019), tbc (2020)
Thank you drawing attention to this review. I love the diagnosis of Beaumont's 'advanced case of quotomania'. I must remember that one!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads