• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Past Sarria

gns

Time of past OR future Camino
Ciudad Real to Medina Del Campo - Sep 2023
Today marked an ending and a beginning as I passed Sarria in the afternoon and now feel that I am truly in the last phase of this Camino and I want to enjoy it to the full.

After a great stay in Las Aguedas in Murias de Rechivaldo I set off with the intention of staying in Foncebadon. The walk to Rabanal was fine although close to the road. For the first time since Navarra the Way was through natural woodland and the slow gain in altitude gave an air of expectation to the stage. There were definitely more Peregrinos and I stopped at the Green Garden in Rabanal and chatted to some Spanish pilgrims and a Dutch guy who I first met in Najera and who was preparing for the climb by sending his backpack ahead and drinking a litre of sangria.

I don’t recall much about the climb to Foncebadon except that it wasn’t very hard after three weeks of walking. In Foncebadon I caught up with the people I had been walking with and was faced with the inevitable suggestion that we might want to continue to Acebo. Not having achieved an age where wisdom exceeds impetuosity I assented and ordered a hot dog to fortify me for the climb. I couldn’t find the stone I picked up on the Pyrenees but my disappointment faded when I saw the boulder that one of my companions had lugged from Roncesvalles. Nobody at 19 has accumulated that big a burden. The climb to Cruz de Fierro went quicker than I expected. One Peregrino had gone ahead and missed it entirely (he denied it but I think he must have been looking at his smartphone). There were only two of us at the cross and like many things on the Camino Frances the reality was much less artificial than I had expected. It was actually quite moving. The remainder of the stage to El Acebo was tough at times with steep descents on stony paths. Rain had been forecast but we gratefully watched this falling in the distance. People crossing the next day were less fortunate and walked all day in rain with nil visibility on the mountain. We stayed in La Casa del Peregrino at the end of Al Acebo for 10€. This was fine and the menu was good but it felt as if we had left the Camino behind. The spa was shut but the pool was open. The rooms had four bunk beds which was ok with current restrictions but would be crowded in normal times. The other albergues in the village looked open.

After breakfast we descended the mountain. There was a village half way down whose name I can’t remember but which was very pretty. We had coffee in Molinaseca. I am becoming a connoisseur of Camino towns and this looked a particularly fine example. Shortly after Molinaseca rain started falling (unbeknown to us it was falling harder on our fellow Peregrinos on the mountain). The taking walk to Ponferrada was without interest.

I spent a rest day in Ponferrada doing exciting things like laundry and visiting Decathlon. It has a nice old town and there were lots of Spanish tourists. I stayed at Hotel Alda Central over the river for 35€ per night. Standard city centre hotel for the price.

I set off refreshed the following morning. The walk to Villafranca felt like the Camino Portuguese more than anything else until the off road variant for the last 6km to Villafranca which was a treat. I caught up with another Peregrino and and we decided to take the Camino Duro to Trabadelo. A French Peregrino also decided to take this route but felt he needed a haircut beforehand so we left him behind. The first twenty minutes were steep but the reward was one of those times when you feel you are walking on top of the world. We made a quick detour to Pradela to get water then took the steep path down to Trabadelo. Most places in the village were closed but we stayed at the excellent Camino y Legenda albergue for 10€. The menu was first rate at 12€ and I have not stayed at a better place so far.

Coffee at the albergue followed by a 10km walk saw us at Las Herrerias for 8am and breakfast. There seems to be plenty of open infrastructure on this stretch and I know people who stayed in each village.

The weather was fine for the climb to O Cebreiro, and with the exception of stretches before and after La Faba, it was not too difficult. The fantastic views at the top we’re a fitting farewell to Castile y Leon.

Coffee in O Cebreiro and noticing the different building style together with the large number of tourists was followed by a Galician greeting in the form of the first proper rain of my Camino. We trudged on to find that Fonfria was ‘Completo’. Another first. Luckily a phone call established that Albergue Fillobal had space and the skies cleared to allow us to enjoy the end of the stage. The albergue was fine at 10€ but the weather was cold and the Caldo Gallego at the bar next door was exactly what I needed.

The bar was open again at 7am the next morning and I breakfasted on Tarte de Santiago and orange juice. After descending to Triacastela we took the short but hilly route to Sarria once more mostly under a grey sky. The Galician landscape is as I remember it and reminds me of England more than Spain. A supermarket stop then coffee at Meson a Tapas in the old town before a short warm to Casa Barbadelo where we stay tonight for the noe traditional 10€. Sarria is unprepossessing at first sight but the old town turned out to be nice. Prices at the bars have been markedly lower than earlier in the Camino.

we passed Sarria too late in the day to tell if lots of people are starting there this year. Our albergue has lots of space. I will know more tomorrow.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed in the same albergues as you in Acebo, Fillobal, and Barbadelo last summer. I really enjoyed that part of the Camino.

I think the only two things in Fillobal are the albergue and bar, lol! The food at the bar was excellent, and the woman that works there was really friendly and helpful. I would recommend that anyone eat there if they get the chance.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for the wonderfully specific description of your journey. It feels like I'm re-walking these paths. Buen Camino and enjoy!

We stayed at the albergue in Barbadelo last fall. It was a real treat. More like a resort than an albergue. We had a spacious private room with a huge bathroom. This was like a villa with our own porch where we could relax. The bar and restaurant were fabulous. We already have reservations to stay there again next year. Bob

Thanks GNS for the great read - ALMOST felt like I was there

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for this. It made me feel as if I was there. I’ve have to postpone my Camino this year so next year I will be back on The Way!!

Buen Camino

I walked through that area a year before you in August 2019. I truly hope your encounter with other pilgrims after Sarria was a bit more anticlimactic than mine. 😳 After a few days with this crowd I wept for the Camino for what was lost along this stretch.

My first time through this area was in 2013. It wasn’t near at this capacity. 🥲
6724395E-B951-4F64-8B09-33E345844399.jpeg
48357ADB-527E-4469-A554-FC74E2FF9111.jpeg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I thought this was still live upon seeing the headline and was surprised to see someone walking now ... but it's from five months ago.

Feature suggestion for @ivar: when someone makes a live thread, once they finish their camino, can they mark the camino as complete which would trigger the 'LIVE from the Camino' tag to be changed to something else ('Was live from the camino', 'Archived live thread' or similar)?

Nick, I or another mod can remove the prefix as I have done in this instance. It caught my attention in the same way it caught yours- who the hell is “live” on the Camino. Trouble is that modding is a full time job already. We mostly only deal with stuff that is brought to our attention. Monitoring threads that aren’t already on our radar ‘cos of contention or content is tricky. It’s why we welcome Reports.

Nick, I or another mod can remove the prefix as I have done in this instance. It caught my attention in the same way it caught yours- who the hell is “live” on the Camino. Trouble is that modding is a full time job already. We mostly only deal with stuff that is brought to our attention. Monitoring threads that aren’t already on our radar ‘cos of contention or content is tricky. It’s why we welcome Reports.
So does this mean my post from today was done in vain? If so, please let me know and I will remove it. I see it’s been passed over.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back