• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pastel de nata

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I bought what was advertised as a "pastel de nata" at a local grocery store a few days ago, said to be flown in from Portugal. I heard a couple of bakery employees discussing when they would be thawed, which seemed like an unfortunate occurence for pastry, but I bought one anyway. The filling was tasty, but the pastry so tough that it was quite challenging to get my teeth through it. I guess that I should detour from Spain to Portugal one day, to find out what they really should taste like when at home.

Pasteis de nata are so more-ish 😉
We have a local baker who buys them in from a skilled woman (Portuguese) who lives locally.
Apparently she makes about 50 - 100 each day. (for one small town!)
They are delicious 😋

Thanks, Laurie!
I loved watching the way the woman was handling the dough - food made with love!! 😉

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I ate at least one pasteis de nata every day on the camino from Lisbon - but nowhere do they taste as good as the ones from Belem. It is the pastry that is different. It is utterly delicious!

Last edited:
I ate at least one pasteis de nana every day on the camino from Lisbon - but nowhere do they taste as good as the ones from Belem. It is the pastry that is different. It is utterly delicious!
Aurélio took us during a city tour in Lisbon to another bakery not far from the Rossio station in the center of the town where the pasteís de nata tasted as good as in Belém and the advantage was that we did not need to line up with the crowds to get in and buy some.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Here in Australia, you can even buy them in Woolworths if you want. But they are nothing compared with those in Belémblogtouch_picture_7ff6ade6_8db2_dd21_48c7_659e456b9d10.jpg

Aurélio took us during a city tour in Lisbon to another bakery not far from the Rossio station in the center of the town where the pasteís de nata tasted as good as in Belém and the advantage was that we did not need to line up with the crowds to get in and buy some.
Share! If you can remember the address. I may be in Lisbon in April.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Share! If you can remember the address. I may be in Lisbon in April.
I have been there with him, too. It‘s Pastelaria Paço Real, Rua da Conceição.

It’s near the intersection of Conceição and Rua da Prata. They have a very nice stamp in the shape of a sardine. Note from me: I had misremembered and originally wrote that the stamp was in the shape of a peacock, which is what Paço Real means in Portuguese). It’s definitely a small family operation, with excellent pastries and good home cooking. I’ve been back with my husband on non-walking trips several times.

It is also around the corner from a family run, clean, basic, pensao called Pensao da Prata. It is a great central location for touring Lisbon, and about a 12 minute walk from the cathedral and the Santiago Church, where you will start to walk if you start in Lisbon.

Heads up on the pasteis de nata — the Pastelaria de Belém is the only place I know of where they are served hot. There is a big debate about whether these should be served hot or cold, so you will get the chance to enter that debate if you try some in-town places.

For a earlier forum chat on this topic, see this thread.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have been there with him, too. It‘s Pastelaria Paço Real, Rua da Conceição.

It’s near the intersection of Conceição and Rua da Prata. They have a very nice stamp with a peacock (which is the name of their pastelaria in Portuguese). It’s definitely a “hole in the wall” kind of place, with excellent pastries and good home cooking. I’ve been back with my husband on non-walking trips several times.

It is also around the corner from a family run, clean, basic, pensao called Pensao da Prata. It is a great central location for touring Lisbon, and about a 12 minute walk from the cathedral and the Santiago Church, where you will start to walk if you start in Lisbon.

Heads up on the pasteis de nata — the Pastelaria de Belém is the only place I know of where they are served hot. There is a big debate about whether these should be served hot or cold, so you will get the chance to enter that debate if you try some in-town places.

For a earlier forum chat on this topic, see this thread.
it looks like Aurélio knows more places where they serve excelent pasteís de nata 😊
he took us to a Manteigaria and there they were awesome👌

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.