• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Patches on my backpack?

Sacha

Peregrina
Time of past OR future Camino
05/24 C. Portugues
09/24 CF Ponferrada - Fisterra
I got these thermo adhesive patches on my last camino. I’d love to put them on my backpack but not sure how. My backpack is the Osprey Sirrius. It is made of nylon. I don’t think I can iron the patches on..
So I was thinking to use either glue (ES6000) or stitch them on…

Has anyone done something similar?

Attachments

• 45092628-3CCA-4A07-91A1-EA3072E3C5AB.jpeg
    45092628-3CCA-4A07-91A1-EA3072E3C5AB.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14,136
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wasn't game to iron & thought the integrity of glue might break down with flexing over time so it was good ol' fashioned sewing them on for me.
The only issue is stitching compromises the rain resistance of your backpack because you're putting holes in it!...only pin size holes of course but water always seems to find a way... 😉
👣🌏

Hi!
I stuck mine on with "nylon" fabric glue two years ago and they are still in place!

I scored the backing adhesive on the patch carefully with a very sharp knife to make sure adhesive would permeate through to the material part of the patch.
The glue i used when dry is clear so did not effect the look of the patch.
I also put a bin liner with something firm in it to support the area where the patches were going; to stop wrinkles in the material while fixing them and to stop any interior nylon being stuck together!
Place a weight on the patches to help make good contact! (put plenty of glue on round the edges if you get the dries clear glue like me on so as you don't have to re do the process)
Woody
This my new Gossamer Gear G4-20 pack and patches (i know the Frances patch is a bit premature but i wanted equal weight distribution on my pack; just two patches on the left would effect my balance 🤣 )

Attachments

• IMG_20230302_105539602.jpg
    IMG_20230302_105539602.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 239
Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I got these thermo adhesive patches on my last camino. I’d love to put them on my backpack but not sure how. My backpack is the Osprey Sirrius. It is made of nylon. I don’t think I can iron the patches on..

I used Velco dots and then just tacked down in about 4 areas with about 4 stiches.

I have done this two ways. The first is very OCD. The second is faster. Both seem to work well.

1. I obtained heavy duty, self adhesive, velcro hook and loop tape on Amazon - in black. It is 2 inches wide and comes in a short roll. Finding an appropriately sized jar top, I used a razor knife to cut perfectly circular SOFT patches, to be mounted on my rucksack.

Next, I found a tailor with a free-arm sewing machine who could sew the sift side of the velcro patch to the rucksack, in the locations I pinned them. When I got it home, I seam-seamed the many very tiny holes made during the sewing process. This is similar to how tactical packs are manufactured with soft panels to affix patches on them.

Third, I used the existing adhesive backing of the HOOK side of the velcro tape to affix the patch. I then used a sharp scissors to trim the squared corners from the hook side of the velcro. I left each patch under a very heavy pile of books, overnight, to ensure a tight bond.

The patches can be attached and removed to / from the rucksack as desired. They are not easy to remove. Someone who wanted to take the patch would have to work at it - then there is that characteristic RIIIIP noise that velcro makes.

2. The other, expedient manner to do this is to simply determine where each patch will go. Then place the patches, upside down, on a scrap piece of cardboard. Use the 3M heavy duty spray adhesive to coat the reverse of each patch until they are property coated. Follow the directions - but only spray the adhesive on the patch, not the rucksack - regardless of what the instructions might say.

Once the desired tackiness is achieved, place the patches carefully on your pack. BE CAREFUL. With this adhesive, you get one go.

The advantage to method #2 is the speed with which you can attach patches, and the difficulty removing them. This is important when you stop at a cafe and leave your rucksack outside.

The advantage to the first method is that you can easily remove and preserve the patches if you desire to remove them for any reason. I did so when I donated my gently used rucksacks at the Pilgrim House. Someone else can choose to make use of the sewn-on soft patch spots.

Hope this helps,

Tom

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Personally never wanted to use patches on my backpacks

Great pack, I have the same one although I switched to a 30L a few years ago.

I know that this is not your question but I'd say think twice before attaching something to your pack as it will/may compromise the integrity of the pack but maybe the adhesive method is better than stitching them on (=holes in pack).

I stitch!

I went to my local fabric store and asked staff about attaching patches to backpacks. They recommended a product called Wonder-Under, it’s a fusible iron-on fabric. (Different grades, used heaviest available) It workEd great to iron on the patches. I made sure to use towels between iron and patch/pack so the iron isn’t directly on the pack. It is so easy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’ve used safety pins to attach the patches to strap loops on the back top of my Osprey pack, where I have also attached lapel pins. They are off right now because I had moved them to another pack..

Attachments

• 346B50EC-91EC-433D-9C20-5AF28BF27564.jpeg
    346B50EC-91EC-433D-9C20-5AF28BF27564.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 202
I’ve used safety pins to attach the patches to strap loops on the back top of my Osprey pack, where I have also attached lapel pins. They are off right now because I had moved them to another pack..
Good work! I’m a amateur seamstress so I always pick up my needle and thread 🚶🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• 8D157627-1295-4358-A0AE-767CFD35D0B2.jpeg
    8D157627-1295-4358-A0AE-767CFD35D0B2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 151
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I glued with Beacon Fabri-Tac Fabric Adhesive glue. (I agree about being careful sewing them on as to not compromise the waterproof integrity of the backpack)
Most backpacks are not waterproof. They may be water resistant, but we wouldn't need pack covers and liners if they were waterproof.

I haven't used this product, but it looks like it would be useful for attaching patches to backpacks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I used double-stick velcro dots. The sticky surfaces attach to the pack and the badge; then the velcro sides attach to each other. Works great!

I used double-stick velcro dots. The sticky surfaces attach to the pack and the badge; then the velcro sides attach to each other. Works great!
I had not known about velcro "dots" until this thread. I have not been into a fabric or craft store for a long time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ages ago to help attract attention when hitchhiking I bought or sewed and embroidered flags and sewed them unto a bandana. When I wanted to display them the bandana would be safety pinned to straps on the pack.
If you still own the bandana a picture would be great to see! We can critique your sewing skills, too.😅

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Most backpacks are not waterproof. They may be water resistant, but we wouldn't need pack covers and liners if they were waterproof.

I haven't used this product, but it looks like it would be useful for attaching patches to backpacks.

I used Badge Magic, because I had kids in Scouts for years prior to my more recent Caminos and had plenty left over. I was a bit leery about poking holes in my backpack with a needle.

With the Badge Magic, the badges have stayed on, no issues, for several Caminos so far with no signs that is about to change.

If you still own the bandana a picture would be great to see! We can critique your sewing skills, too.😅
Well, the bandana isn't visible any more. I'm surprised that I actually created 8 out of the 12 flags myself. Criticism should account for the fact that this was done while traveling with a backpack.
Screenshot_20190224-163255-01~2.jpeg

I used Badge Magic, because I had kids in Scouts for years prior to my more recent Caminos and had plenty left over. I was a bit leery about poking holes in my backpack with a needle.

With the Badge Magic, the badges have stayed on, no issues, for several Caminos so far with no signs that is about to change.

Pity they won't mail to Australia :oops:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, the bandana isn't visible any more. I'm surprised that I actually created 8 out of the 12 flags myself. Criticism should account for the fact that this was done while traveling with a backpack.
View attachment 142463
It's awesome, Rick! Does each flag represent countries/places you have visited?
Wow, and you fashioned it while backpacking. I'm sure you have some interesting and great memories that go back a long way.

I sewed mine on but where there was overlapping fabric. My pack is a Gossamer Gear Mariposa. Over a pocket only so the main compartment shouldn't be affected

Attachments

• 20230302_143921.jpg
    20230302_143921.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113

A580E80E-9EDF-4303-8675-7BEAFF94985E.jpeg
BFE26938-FE1C-4774-8B32-7AA53DFD7942.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

We tried ironing them on, using a tea towel over the badge for protection. However, they came loose about halfway through our Camino. We've just had them professionally stitched on my a seamstress and she's done a great job.

View attachment 142463
I’m not easily impressed (easily swayed according to Mrs HtD, but that’s different isn’t it?) but that’s really great work; well done.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's awesome, Rick! Does each flag represent countries/places you have visited?
It was good enough for hitchhiking purposes. That was flags for just that trip but it was a long trip; 13+ months in Polynesia and Australia almost to the antipode of where I started. A couple of cheats of less than a day though. I threw in the Hawaii state flag with its Union Jack to confuse folks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It was good enough for hitchhiking purposes. That was flags for just that trip but it was a long trip; 13+ months in Polynesia and Australia almost to the antipode of where I started. A couple of cheats of less than a day though. I threw in the Hawaii state flag with its Union Jack to confuse folks.
Astounding, what a thing to do.

I used glue that was recommended for putting patches on backpacks - didn't hold. Now my backpack has a big ugly shiny circle with rough edges... can't stand looking at it! Won't try that again.
Get a new patch and sew it over the ugly stuff...moto.🙂

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Too lazy to sew one on... plus, don't want to damage the bag more. Otherwise I would have done that in the first place haha
Hey JeanineOTC, please come clean and give us the scoop on the name of the glue you tried once, but won’t again. Enquiring minds of backpack patch putters want to know! Thanks mucho!

We used superglue to attach ours to our Osprey packs (different models than yours but same fabric). Four years layer they're still there. No apparent effect on the packs.

I also put Velcro on my pack with fabric adhesive. It worked well.

The husband of a friend had a shoe repair shop. He kindly sewed patches onto my pack. He retired last year, so no more heavy duty sewing machine. Boo-hoo me.

We used superglue to attach ours to our Osprey packs (different models than yours but same fabric). Four years layer they're still there. No apparent effect on the packs.
Superglue? KwazyGlue? ¡Cómo no, chuey! Mais oui ! But of course! Why didn’t I thinka dat? Kudos to you! 🤙🏽

I'm actually surprised that super glue works since it's intended to be used on non-porous materials. Unless it was a super glue branded fabric glue.

Hello George Vancouver! So about that super glue: was it the plain ol’ stuff or, as trecile wondered, was it a “super glue branded fabric glue”?

Do not iron them on. It will melt a hole in your pack. You can get patch adhesive on Amazon. I got a brand called Patch Magic.

€149,-

As someone who has tried to attach patches to their backpack using every conceivable method over the years (including just about every one mentioned here, as far as I can tell), I can 100% recommend Badge Magic. It's by far the easiest to use and all the patches I've used with it have stayed put. I even took a quarter of a sheet with me on my Camino last year to attach a few patches I collected along the way.

Bonus: the company employs workers from an organization called Lighthouse for the Blind, and their customer support is friendly and helpful. Well worth ordering from them directly.

Stitch it on but better have one to show who you are ( flag or state emblem) we know you’re a Pilgrim

€60,-
Attached on my Silver Knight 55L Tactical Backpack were:
1. Flag of the Philippines.
2. Camp Red Bushcraft & Survival Guild, my outdoors club.
3. The Camino Arrow.
4. Cebu Highlands Trail, a long trail I established in my country.
5. Classic Blade Exchange, one of my sponsors.

IMG20220621201719.jpg

Also on my Mystery Ranch A5 shoulder bag were:
1. Camp Red Bushcraft & Survival Guild.
2. US Scout Badge, a gift from a veteran.

IMG20220630153057.jpg

Aside from the bag, I had a leather miniature flag patch of the Basque Autonomous Region on my cap - the Ikurrina. When I left Euskal Herria, I attached the Ikurrina on my bag while the Camp Red patch took its place.

IMG20220619205759.jpg

Last edited:
So, as I stated before I ordered a sheet of Badge Magic to try. Unfortunately I am rather disappointed.

So, BM, for all intents and purposes is a double-sided glued-on sticker.
As per instructions I cut out a piece from the sheet in the form of my badge (the standard American Pilgrims on the Camino round about 3.5" in diameter). I then pied off protective paper from one side of BM and placed the sticky side onto the APC badge... so far so good

However try as I may i was not, from this point on, able to peel the exposed remaining side in order to glue THAT onto the backpack. I couldn't' find any 'edge' if you will to grab onto to lift the protective paper
I tried couple of things incl. needles, small scissors and a pocket knife - all to no avail. At one point it looked like I was beginning to make a hole right down to the APC patch... and there I stopped and never attempted another go at it again.
:-(

That’s frustrating!

I stuck mine on with E6000 glue and for now it looks good! But havent used my backpack yet so will have to see how well they stay on..

IMG_4161.jpegIMG_4162.jpeg

LOL
I guess if at first you dont succeed - just complain about it. :p
Frustration did get a hold of me and no stinking badge glue thingy will get an upper hand of the Camino Pilgrim!
So I went at it again and - Lo & Behold! (Baruch Hashem!) - I did it. Had to go with a needle 'from the side' so to speak - sort of got right under it...like ... I got you under my skin IV-type, ya know?
Anyways, reckon we'll see if it holds when next field trip comes up (not counting any local hikes - off to the mountains of Maine come July)
Here it is folks :)Backpack & Badges.jpg

Does anyone know where I can buy the Frances distance patch online (see attached)? I have searched high and low and to no avail. Thanks!

IMG_9954.jpeg

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Does anyone know where I can buy the Frances distance patch online (see attached)? I have searched high and low and to no avail. Thanks!

View attachment 147721
I got mine in Santiago, from a gift shop close to San Martin Pinario (on the same side of the road - first shop you come to, heading uphill)

I got mine in Santiago, from a gift shop close to San Martin Pinario (on the same side of the road - first shop you come to, heading uphill)
Thanks Gail, I bought one in Santiago as well. Am looking for an online shop to purchase another one from. Buen Camino.

Ah, ok
Thanks Gail, I bought one in Santiago as well. Am looking for an online shop to purchase another one from. Buen Camino.

My solution was to sew two patches of the same size together back-to-back and use an eyelet and keyring to attach them to my backpack.
Advantages: No needles ruining my pack, no glue leaving traces. Plus: Whenever I want to, I can easily move the patches to another pack or bag.
I chose two different patch designs, so sometimes you will see the shell and sometimes the arrow, but you could of course use the same patch front and back so that it is displayed at all times.

Camino Patch.png IMG_8411.jpeg

My solution was to sew two patches of the same size together back-to-back and use an eyelet and keyring to attach them to my backpack.
@Yoyo, between giving you an I love it and now I thought of three variants that members might be interested in. I hope you don't mind.

1) Sew a protruding tab in-between the patches and put the grommet in that.

2) Sew a loop in-between so a line can be run through.

3) Put a grommet in the loop low enough down that a line could still be strung though the top part. That gives a 90⁰ difference in the way the patches could be hung.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola Robo. What brand or type of glue are you using?
Badge magic can be ordered from Amazon. It works great. I just heat it a bit with a blow dryer and my patches don’t come off. Just be sure to cut it as exactly as you can, so the edges will stay down.

Wanted to give a little update on how my parches fared after 400km. The E6000 glue works great! Not a single patch has loosened

That’s frustrating!

I stuck mine on with E6000 glue and for now it looks good! But havent used my backpack yet so will have to see how well they stay on..

View attachment 146752View attachment 146753

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.