Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Patches, Shells and Camino memorabilia

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
I wanted to share a wonderful gift in honor of my first Camino in April, given to me by my neighbor who does embroidery

I was wondering if anybody else have any camino memorabilia ,unique or ordinary, which they were given, bought, or found along the route before or after for their camino journey?
1122A7E4-0A3A-4D69-B713-FCAA69BC278B.jpeg
Added: by the way there is no commercial interest here. Neighbor does embroidery as a hobby

Last edited:
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Bala

Veteran member
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
Iriebabel, that patch is beautiful! What a thoughtful, personal gift for a friend to give.

Robo, I remember the wonderful story you told a while back about Mr. Bean. I got a good laugh at the end, because I hadn't caught on. :) I had followed your blog in real time, and was a bit confused at this story about your travelling companion -- the blog certainly sounded like you had been travelling solo.

Poor Mr. Bean! I can still visualize him draped over the radiator trying to dry off after a downpour, while you were comfy and dry in your waterproof gear. I actually felt sorry for him!! Buen Camino, Mr. Bean! :D

MTowers

Sarria to Santiago in 2015 and Camino Finisterre in September 2017
Camino Portuguese from Tui 2018
I wanted to share a wonderful gift in honor of my first Camino in April, given to me by my neighbor who does embroidery

I was wondering if anybody else have any camino memorabilia ,unique or ordinary, which they were given, bought, or found along the route before or after for their camino journey?
View attachment 39962
Added: by the way there is no commercial interest here. Neighbor does embroidery as a hobby

MTowers

Sarria to Santiago in 2015 and Camino Finisterre in September 2017
Camino Portuguese from Tui 2018
What a beautiful memento of your Camino and its unique to you! Buen (future) caminos.

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

celinehenriette

The day I walked up the Alpes on my way to Rome, I was very nervous. I had never seen the Alpes and they where so enormous and scary and I didn't know if I would be able to make it across. And then I saw a little wooden cross on the side of the road. I put it on my backpack and it's still there today. I like to believe someone was letting me know I wasn't alone.

Attachments

• 15203605075322110428668.jpg
    15203605075322110428668.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
The day I walked up the Alpes on my way to Rome, I was very nervous. I had never seen the Alpes and they where so enormous and scary and I didn't know if I would be able to make it across. And then I saw a little wooden cross on the side of the road. I put it on my backpack and it's still there today. I like to believe someone was letting me know I wasn't alone.
I’d like to think the same thing. It has served you well. Often the simplest thing is the most expressive

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
My priceless items, a rosary given to me by Sister Maria from Los Filipenses of Carrion de los Condes inside the backpack, and our grandson's "walking sandal" hanging outside the backpack. I carry my backpack on all my training walks. Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino. View attachment 39991
Important items indeed! Maybe one day your grandson will walk the camino

Levant from Avila 2013
A very moving night in the Albergue of the 17th Century Monastery at Osiera The Hospitaliero brother Marie Claire gave us an icon, if you like. Now a treasured keepsake. Worth the divergence from the route, just to be taken on a tour of the dusty 17th century library and to attend the various services

Attachments

• 1520381691016.jpg
    1520381691016.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 12

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
A very moving night in the Albergue of the 17th Century Monastery at Osiera The Hospitaliero brother Marie Claire gave us an icon, if you like. Now a treasured keepsake. Worth the divergence from the route, just to be taken on a tour of the dusty 17th century library and to attend the various services
Beautiful!

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

View attachment 39962
A beautiful gift, as has been said. Thanks for opening this space for others to share theirs, and to give Andywild the chance to make us laugh!

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
A beautiful gift, as has been said. Thanks for opening this space for others to share theirs, and to give Andywild the chance to make us laugh!
Thanks to you and all those who have come before me on the camino and to those who shared he in this post. All of you have already made a mark on my memory even before the start of my first camino . This includes andywild, He definately made me laugh

Walking Lover

CdS from Leon to Santiago, June 16, 2016 to June 30, 2016.

View attachment 39962
The shells I carry are my greatest treasures. After each Camino, I write the legs and the distances on the inside of the shell.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Way Cool! I have to find a way to attach my rubber duckie
Rubber Dukkies for the Win - I used shock cord around the neck (cruel I know) but was still worried about loss so then tucked him inside!

On the subject of Rubber Duckies I heard a rumour the cathedral shop had pilgrim RDs for sale - can anybody confirm?

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Rubber Dukkies for the Win - I used shock cord around the neck (cruel I know) but was still worried about loss so then tucked him inside!

On the subject of Rubber Duckies I heard a rumour the cathedral shop had pilgrim RDs for sale - can anybody confirm?
Hahahha. I may have to try that. Poor duckie but he was safe inside . I hope they have rubber duckies in Saint Jean and Santiago. I will be looking

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
People, let me tell you that your passion is upholding an ancient practice! Dee Dyas, an Englishwoman, referred to that custom in her contribution to a conference on Pilgrimage that I attended in Waterford on Friday. If you look her up you will find a reference to her work and studies. I am not much good at reporting, except for odd stuff such as that there were 10 million visitors, pilgrims/tourists, recorded at all the Cathedrals in England and probably Wales. (I didn’t hear her mention the best wee country in the world). My own mementoes are either photos or imprints of people and places, so I have no shrines. That was another word she used, in the phrase ‘instant shrines’.for Uk and neighbouring countries, she gave Grenfell as an example. So, keep up ancient and universal customs! Leave tiny spaces in your minimalist packs for your memorabilia...

Last edited:
Cami Sant Jaume (2017)
In Catalunya, many of the farm tracks have broken brick, concrete and other masonry pounded into them. I don't know why. Where I live, New England, USA, woods trails sometimes have wood chips ground into them, especially in wet spots. On my 50 mile walk, I found ONE piece of glazed tile, blue and yellow and red, about an inch square. It's not religious or sacred or a shrine, just a nice, lightweight, little memento.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
In Catalunya, many of the farm tracks have broken brick, concrete and other masonry pounded into them. I don't know why. Where I live, New England, USA, woods trails sometimes have wood chips ground into them, especially in wet spots. On my 50 mile walk, I found ONE piece of glazed tile, blue and yellow and red, about an inch square. It's not religious or sacred or a shrine, just a nice, lightweight, little memento.
Rubble from a demolished building and cheaper, possibly more environmentally friendly (unless there is asbestos mixed in) than mixed stone freshly dug from a quarry. It would otherwise go to landfill.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads