• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Patches, Shells, & Symbols

Papist Giant

Papist Giant
Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
I've read somewhere that it is recommended (traditional) to identify oneself as a pelegrino with some sort of patch or symbol (a scallop shell dangling off my pack, an arrow, scallop shell patch, or even a St. James cross)

Is this something I should have ahead of time? If so, which one? Are any of these considered a badge of honor that I should only display upon completion? Is there any cool lore associated with any of these symbols?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've read somewhere that it is recommended (traditional) to identify oneself as a pelegrino with some sort of patch or symbol (a scallop shell dangling off my pack, an arrow, scallop shell patch, or even a St. James cross)

Is this something I should have ahead of time? If so, which one? Are any of these considered a badge of honor that I should only display upon completion? Is there any cool lore associated with any of these symbols?

Depend on where you start but you will find that the shell can be bought almost every where on the route. I don't know if there is a Confraternity of St James in the USA but when I joined the one in South Africa, I was able to bought my Pilgrims Passport (for the stamps "sello's') and also a badge for my back pack in advance. I see there is a forum "American Pilgrims on the Camino" on the internet - surely they can help you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One personal tradition that I've done is to buy a medal of the Saint and have a priest from that site bless it.

I like the notion that a shell only be granted once I reach Finnestre, as proof of my journey.

If a shell identifies myself as a pelegrino, I might bring one from the U.S. then bring another back from Finnestre

I will also bring a rock of significance- now I just have to figure out how to get a rock on the plane.

Buen Camino and enjoy your planning!

I bought a forum patch and credential though this site and chose not to wear or carry a shell.

Mike

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I mainly meant meaningful significance, but the symbolism of a physical unburdening- enough to notice a difference in my pack would be meaningful.

Maybe, the greater the size of the stone, the heavier the weight on a person's soul.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I think it is the "pilgrim shuffle" that identifies us - those odd half steps with slightly stiff knees we all make when we first get up after resting at a coffee stop.

@Papist Giant - walking the Camino itself is penance enough, believe me. Don't deliberately sabotage yourself.

I like the notion that a shell only be granted once I reach Finnestre, as proof of my journey.

That is a nice notion but your stamped credential and toned body will combine to be much better proof that you walked the Camino. As noted, you can obtain a shell at lots of places along the way, including at the Pilgrims Office at St. Jean Pied de Port.

I like the notion that my shell, which is sitting with my compostelas and credentials in a display case, has travelled every step of two Caminos with me. It fits in the case a lot easier than the other things that accompanied me each time, ie., my backpack and my wife.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Depend on where you start but you will find that the shell can be bought almost every where on the route.

They are pretty easy find at just about any town with more than 100 people. If you want to get one there, you'll have no trouble.

I don't know if there is a Confraternity of St James in the USA but when I joined the one in South Africa, I was able to bought my Pilgrims Passport (for the stamps "sello's') and also a badge for my back pack in advance. I see there is a forum "American Pilgrims on the Camino" on the internet - surely they can help you.

Yes, here we have a chapter of the Confraternity of St. James-American Pilgrims on the Camino is it! http://www.americanpilgrims.org
Great place to get a (free) pilgrim's passport. It is, however, small. If you start from SJPdP you'll likely need a second. They also have local groups that can be very valuable. In fact our local group is having a get together this weekend.

Some (or all?) chapters of the American Pilgrims on the Camino association hold "Camino de Santiago Shell Ceremonies" for departing pilgrims. I think this tradition hasn't reached us yet but I am sure it is just a matter of time :).

Some churches here in the states do them. It's not a regular thing but they do happen. APOC is handy for finding out about the where & when as well.

I like the notion that my shell, which is sitting with my compostelas and credentials in a display case, has travelled every step of two Caminos with me. It fits in the case a lot easier than the other things that accompanied me each time, ie., my backpack and my wife.

I like this notion as well. I left my house with a shell that my oldest daughter found for me on a beach in Charleston, SC. Oddly enough, by the time I reached SdC I had three. The one my daughter gave me, one that I bought in SJPdP as I was leaving town (why, I don't know, it just felt right), and finally one that was given to me by a Spanish family member. That is story in and of its self, and a bit off topic. All three are special to me for different reasons.

I think it is the "pilgrim shuffle" that identifies us - those odd half steps with slightly stiff knees we all make when we first get up after resting at a coffee stop.

@Papist Giant - walking the Camino itself is penance enough, believe me. Don't deliberately sabotage yourself.

Sadly a permanent way of life for those of us of "a certain age" whether on the Camino or not :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Depend on where you start but you will find that the shell can be bought almost every where on the route. I don't know if there is a Confraternity of St James in the USA but when I joined the one in South Africa, I was able to bought my Pilgrims Passport (for the stamps "sello's') and also a badge for my back pack in advance. I see there is a forum "American Pilgrims on the Camino" on the internet - surely they can help you.
I like the idea of buying a shell. I asked at a fish stall on Doncaster Market and was happily given one.

I like the idea of buying a shell. I asked at a fish stall on Doncaster Market and was happily given one.
Just imagine how much more you would like your shell if you bought in at the fish market after arriving in Santiago, after eating its contents no less. ;0)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I brought a peregrino patch on my backpack from the organisation of my country and this brass scallop bell .
I had it on my bellypack that I strapped around the bedpost every night. As an early warning system it would alert any intrusion, and at daytime, the jingle warned people off in front of me...

My collegues, however, are are going mad with the jingle, so it is now muffled with cotton.
But it goes with any of the bags I carry and is a good reminder of good days and that I must soon go again...

Attachments

• 20151109_145901_resized.jpg
    20151109_145901_resized.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back