• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Patches

jgiesbrecht

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Fisterra, Muxia Sept-Oct 2020
How have you all attached your patches to your backpack?
I know theres diff methods: sewing, adhesive etc just wondering specifically what has worked for you guys. I'm not a sew-er but I do have a friend who could info ask her....just wondering if theres a better way

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have lots of patches on my backpack. Stuck them in place with adhesive and then sewed them. Good needle and a thimble.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used some sort of double-sided adhesive sheet that can be cut to shape which we got from the Scouts who use it to attach their badges to their uniforms. I was worried that sewing it on would affect the water resistance of the pack.

I know theres diff methods: sewing, adhesive etc just wondering specifically what has worked for you guys. I'm not a sew-er but I do have a friend who could info ask her....just wondering if theres a better way

I never do.

I have a ‘campfire blanket’ which I’ve had since I was a Cub Scout in the very early 1970s. The idea is that whilst a camp fire might warm you from the front the blanket provides some comfort from the back. I have a bucket (imperial couple of gallons?) full of fabric badges to be sewn onto said blanket whenever a day has nothing more interesting to offer.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was worried that sewing it on would affect the water resistance of the pack.
I had similar concern but the fabric glue sealed any puncture holes made by needle although has started to seep out after last Camino but contents inside where dry. Glue and Sew before you go 🤠IMG-20191121-WA0031.jpg

I prefer fabric adhesive - keeping in mind that not all fabric adhesives are created equal, and the effiacy of said adhesive has much to do with the backpack material involved.

Some compounds sold as "fabric adhesive" don't work particularly well on vinyl fabrics, as I found out through trial and error when trying to attach patches to my Osprey pack a while back. Finally stumbled upon Aleene's Ultimate Multi-Surface Adhesive and haven't looked back. It beat my trusted favorite E-6000 in side-by-side tests and has proved to be secure and waterproof.

Last edited:

I use fabric, self-adhesive velcro-type, hook and loop for fabrics; self-adheres quite well to my backpack. One side goes on the pack, the other to the back of the patch.

A fabric store or craft store, like Joannes, will carry the product in a variety of sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Since being introduced to the Speedy Stitcher

1578390009550.png
I'm more than happy to stitch patches onto my pack (and those of others - whether they like it or not). I wax the thread before stitching.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back