• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Path closed just before Betanzos

Sagalouts

RIP 2015
Just before Betanzos after crossing the last main road and 300m along the side of allotments/smallholdings the path is blocked by a major building site (block of flats) the site is fenced in round a 50ft drop and dangerous with no way round (believe me we tried) no option but to go back to the main road walk along it for 500m and turn left,the road then passes in front of the site and joins up with the waymarks just before the bridge into Betanzos.no big deal but may as well let people know. it looks like it may be blocked for some time.
Ian and Rosie
http://sagalouts-theroadtonowhere.blogspot.com/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Sagalouts. Is the detour you have to take obvious?

Hopefully the Amigos will repaint the arrows soon and give directions around this - but this is very helpful information to any pilgrims taking this route.

hi john
yes the detour is obvious and there is a small hand painted sign saying road closed in 300m,we just didn't believe it and foolishly tried to scramble round the 6ft high fenced off area which we discovered is a vast hole dug into the side of the slopped ground with a giant crane in the middle,we could see the alternative road below but could only get to it by backtacking ( it took us 30 minutes and muddied boots to find this out.)
Ian and rosie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
sagalouts said:
hi john
yes the detour is obvious and there is a small hand painted sign saying road closed in 300m,we just didn't believe it

Ian I laughed out loud when I read this. We're all the same! The amount of times early on I tried to second guess where arrows were going. Once I saw the trail was blocked - they had built a new motorway. I scrambled over a fence and then waded through a drain tunnel to get up onto the hard shoulder then ran across the road to have to do the same thing on the other side. Exhausted I sat down and looked around - not only were there yellow arrows on the other side but they were coming off of a walk way which had been build over the new road. See me, see stupid!

JohnnieWalker said:
sagalouts wrote:hi john
yes the detour is obvious and there is a small hand painted sign saying road closed in 300m,we just didn't believe it

Ian I laughed out loud when I read this. We're all the same!

Me too.

The thing is, there are just enough places where the sign 'road blocked' or equivalent turns out to mean no such thing, and you can walk or cycle through with no problems, and if you had taken the diversion (or did take it, and are discovering this by looking backwards)you would have walked or cycled unnecessary distance, to make us not believe the notices.

Its like the rats who got the food pellet reward at random intervals; when they stopped giving it to them the poor things went on head butting the lever for the longest time because they couldn't give up the chance that something delicious might just pop into their mouth if they tried one last time.

Perhaps it's the same impulse that makes us keep on to just the next cafe because it might have the coffee at a few pence cheaper, or makes me say 'let's stop and eat lunch after the next corner', because I think there might be a nicer patch or grass in the sunlight with a view.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back