• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paths v Road, Hill v Flat

Graeme.W

Time of past OR future Camino
primitivo/finisterre
Hi, my partner and I are looking to walk from Porto to Santiago in May. We are wanting to know about how much road walking there is against pathways. Also is it mostly flat with only a few hills?
Thanks in advance.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Brierley guide book shows a breakdown for each stage. There are hardly any of the big hill climbs like you find on the CF except for the day out of Ponte de Lima. There are however some very dangerous stretches of sharing narrow national highways with trucks and cars travelling at very high speeds. The absolute worse is arriving into Pedra Furada which is a totally white knuckles, heart stopping km; there is barely enough pavement for two lanes of traffic much less adding someone who is walking in the roadway, there is no shoulder just guard rail on the edge of the pavement.

Thanks Bdon,I am also interested in this walk ( next Feb/March) is camping possible ?.........:)........Vicrev

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There were a few places I saw where I think you could pitch a tent but quite a bit of the route runs through either residential and/or industrial areas or vineyards and cornfields. It does share some pathways with an old Roman road (Via Augustus?) which the Portuguese label as Via XIX and I believe is much like the Grande Randonnes in France. The amazing thing to me was that I didn't see any other pilgrims until my second day and I was walking July, quite a change from CF.

Thanks for the info Bdon,I just feel like a change from France & Italy & want to end up in Santiago without all the apparent hassles,Portugal sounds like a good alternative.......:)......Vicrev

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello @Graeme.W . First of all welcome to the Forum.

About your question, well, I've talked with people who have walked the Frances and the Portuguese way and they say that you have, in terms of comparison, almost the same percentage of asphalt and off road trails. It's almost impossible not to pass on a couple of segments of national road in our days. I remember that after Tuy we caught a large bit of road walking. But you will also fin wonderful off road tracks :) (one of the things that I don't get out of my mind it's to see the bay of Vigo from the top of a mountain trail).

You will find some hills, the worst one after Ponte de Lima (the Labruja Mountain, where you go up to 500 meters on a very steep "climb"). But it totally compensates to see the wonderful view from the top :)

I will also do the Caminho again in May so we can possibly have the opportunity to meet each other :D You can contact me to metalmelitia666@gmail.com

@vicrev , wild camping in Portugal it's some sort forbidden, unless you contact authorities and have a permission/license from the Portuguese Mountain and Camping Federation. Yeah, I know, it kinda sucks, here in Portugal they see camping more has a Money thing, than a way of life :/

Best Regards
Diogo Martins

Last edited:
Thanks Diogo,..Is it possible to walk Lisbon...Santiago without walking on tarmac /made roads? just that I hate walking with traffic etc (who doesnt !)..but,if I have to walk with traffic ,so be it!...........:).....Vicrev

@vicrev , I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but it's almost impossible for you to do it. Unless you pass throughout private terrains on an illegal way.

But still, it's very complicated, you will always have a path that goes through asphalt. You will find many roads, like the N roads (National Roads), that you won't see a car in hours. Yes, it's possible to happen.

Best Regards
Diogo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dear Rebecca, I have just walked the French way in May. I know how to "just go and walk". I have specific reasons for asking these questions. Information you don't need. If you have nothing constructive to input, don't bother. Thanks Graeme

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Diogo,..Is it possible to walk Lisbon...Santiago without walking on tarmac /made roads? just that I hate walking with traffic etc (who doesnt !)..but,if I have to walk with traffic ,so be it!...........:).....Vicrev
Tui to SdC isn't too bad for roads. I imagine if you have time and energy you might often find alternative routes to the marked route, if you're prepared to do the researcha and obviously you run the risk of lots of extra walking where it there isn't a viable alternative. The road walking and particularly the busy/dangerous/frightening sections are the exception. My overall memories are of wonderful walking. Having said that I actually enjoy some of the urban, industrial, edge-land experiences. Bon Camino

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The only Camino I've done, so far, was from Porto to Santiago, so I can't compare it to the Camino Frances . . . . yet. But it seemed the worst "road walking" was the first day from downtown Porto to Vilarinho. Then the next day to Barcelos was a little better, but after that there was much less walking on the National Roads.

As an alternative, you might think of taking the coastal route out of Porto. It seems that more and more people are doing that, and when I walk the Camino Portuguese again, that is what I intend to do.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Porto to Santiago,it is,then walk to Madrid.......anyone done that?......any parts worth a miss ?............thanks Vicrev

Try this site Mundicamino Complete Guide to Camino. It will show elevation gains and losses along with towns with facilities. Only good for the Spain portion

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back