• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paulo Coelho plans to repeat pilgrimage to Compostela

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) - Best-selling Brazilian author Paulo Coelho said Friday he plans to next year repeat his pilgrimage to the Spanish city of Santiago de Compostela, 20 years after the journey which inspired his first book.

But instead of walking the some 800 kilometres of the Road to Santiago through Spain's northwest, Coelho said he intends to make the 2006 trip by car.

"I never again want to make the pilgrimage on foot," said Coelho, who was in Budapest as the guest of honour at the Budapest International Book Festival. "There are experiences you can only go through once and you either live them or you don't, but they can't be repeated."

The Pilgrimage, first published in 1987, was based on Coelho's spiritual awakening during his walk to Santiago de Compostela, a destination for pilgrims since the Middle Ages. The remains of St. James the Apostle are said to be buried in the city.

"My life changed on the Road to Santiago, and it is the road itself which induces the journey," Coelho said.

Coelho, the best-selling author in Brazilian history, is best known for The Alchemist and Eleven Minutes. He has sold 65 million books in his nearly 20-year career.

The Rio de Janeiro native was also in Budapest for the Hungarian release of his new novel, The Zahir, about a renowned author who writes about his inner feelings.

The Canadian Press, 2005

Source: CJAD 800

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
ivar,

yes, I read it! It was here everywhere in the news, not only on the internet. IsŽt it wonderful that Paulo Coelho will be back ON THE ROAD!!!
I find his book on his pilgrimage to Santiago highly inspiring and I am having right now at the side of my pillow where I sleep, just for reading in it every day before falling asleep about all the spiritual experiences and tests he had. I read and re-read many sections because there is more to it than what one can grasp at a first read.
The exercises described in the book are particularly interesting. It makes it rather a "Handbook" than a novel... wonderful!

Cheers to all

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back