• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pay cash in municipal albergues

Priskalista

Time of past OR future Camino
Will do the camino del norte in May vĂ­a camino primitivo
Hi,

I'm currently counting how much cash money should I carry during my walk. I'm gonna do the Norte and then the Primitivo.

I was wondering, are we able to pay/donate the albergues in cash only? How about bars in villages, do they accept payment by cards or cash only? And how often can we find ATM along the way of Camino del Norte?

Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have never come across a municipal or church albergue that accepted payment by card. Always cash. Some larger bars and restaurants and many shops will do so but it is safer to assume that the majority of small businesses you meet on the Caminos will want payment in cash. I usually withdraw 300 euro or so at a time, keep about 100 euro separately along with a debit or credit card as an emergency back-up, and aim to top up my cash from an ATM before my ready cash drops below 100 euro. I haven't walked the Norte so cannot comment on that but you may find quite long stretches of the Primitivo without an ATM.

Yes cash is king in the Camino. Formal restaurants (in medium cities), supermarkets (see beside gas stations!) will accept credit cards. Not in albergues, really.
Yes, I usually withdraw 300 euros -it depends on your spending habits, but this usually will be enough for 6-7 days. There are cashiers, but also (in the Frances) a couple of sections with only a string of villages -as after Burgos or Astorga. Don't let your reserves drop below 100 euros.
Bring two cards -main and backup. There are some stories about a card failing to work, and the pilgrim being stranded with an annoying problem.
Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just back 2 weeks from El Norte (started March 1st so many Albergues not yet open). Cash EUROS only (€6) at all municipal Albergues. Don’t expect to exchange currency in smaller towns. Out of 41 days total I stayed in a municipal or monastery 15 times, 22 nights at private Albergues (10-15€ usually w breakfast), rest nights in hotels at beginning or end. My dailynspending was average 25€/day. ATMs are in larger towns (following the classic El Norte stages). I agree, I carried €300, put 25€ in my day wallet and carried rest plus bank card in a separate neck pouch. Buen camino.

I used the WISE PILGRIM book & phone App Guide. The phone App was great as I could see where I was exactly and could correct my direction if wrong. El Norte is well marked mostly, where not it’s more because of too many or conflicting arrows/signs. Wise Pilgrim does not break it down into stages but the “stages” follow the bigger towns. You can stop before or after big towns AFTER Bilbao, before Bilbao there is little infrastructure between towns. I googled Gronze.com there the different Caminos are listed, click El Norte and the “classic” stages are given. I used Gronze to skip down to the Primitivo (Valdedios Monastery, Polo de Siero - Roberto is the nice hospitalero at the very nice municipal /eat across the street at family restaurant is not to be missed, Oveido then to Avilés and back to El Norte). I’m leaving El Primitivo to do it in late summer. PM me if you want any further details. Buen camino

Just back 2 weeks from El Norte (started March 1st so many Albergues not yet open). Cash EUROS only (€6) at all municipal Albergues. Don’t expect to exchange currency in smaller towns. Out of 41 days total I stayed in a municipal or monastery 15 times, 22 nights at private Albergues (10-15€ usually w breakfast), rest nights in hotels at beginning or end. My dailynspending was average 25€/day. ATMs are in larger towns (following the classic El Norte stages). I agree, I carried €300, put 25€ in my day wallet and carried rest plus bank card in a separate neck pouch. Buen camino.
I wonder how much did you spend per day for meals?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What is the procedure for payment at the "regular" Albergues and the "Donativos"? Pay when you enter to stay the night or pay when you leave in the morning. Same question for a meal at the Albergue, pay before or after?

I think I have used an ATM one time in the last 15 years so I will have to get reacquainted with these machines. Can you request the denominations you want when you take out 300 euros? Are there denominations most businesses & Albergues prefer not to accept? If the ATM Euros are in fact too big for the Albergues to take, where can you get change for the big notes?

What is the procedure for payment at the "regular" Albergues and the "Donativos"? Pay when you enter to stay the night or pay when you leave in the morning. Same question for a meal at the Albergue, pay before or after?

I think I have used an ATM one time in the last 15 years so I will have to get reacquainted with these machines. Can you request the denominations you want when you take out 300 euros? Are there denominations most businesses & Albergues prefer not to accept? If the ATM Euros are in fact too big for the Albergues to take, where can you get change for the big notes?

Cash is king on the Camino.
You pay when you register at the albergue.
I don't know of many albergues that charge for meals, but you would pay when you book the meal.
My 300 euros usually comes out in 50s and 20s.
Break the large bills at the bars or markets.

I wonder how much did you spend per day for meals?

My average daily expenses all inclusive 25-30€ (Sleep and food). If albergue had no breakfast offered then 1st coffee and pastry/toast (€3-4), daily menu 10-12€, evening usually just fruit/tea/biscuits (supermarket).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back