• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Payback time: See you in Santiago May 20th - June 3rd?

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
Last night I booked my flight to Madrid: Will start walking from Burgos April 26th. I need some Meseta time; and beyond, to SdC. ;)

By sheer coincidence (or maybe not; read my signature line...), when I opened my mailbox this morning, there was an email from the Pilgrims Office, welcoming me to do volunteering work in the Pilgrims Office in that period.

I had contacted them a couple of weeks ago, offering myself for this, but it was a bit unexpected, however, I am very happy I have the time and opportunity to give something back for all I have been given on different Caminos the last 10 years or so.

Very pleased indeed. So, if you're arriving in SdC within that period, say hello! But I don't think I will write your Compostela: My handwriting is like a doctor's...

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A selection of Camino Jewellery
congratulations! I hope you enjoy your time as a volunteer... you get to write badly, in Latin!
I am starting out on the camino Vasco interior on 3 June, God willing. I don't think I will make it to Santiago on foot this year.
Well, as you may recall, I have been wanting to something Caminoish for some time. I am beginning... ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'll also be volunteering May 20 - June 3, so see you then!
I've decided to walk the St. Jean-Santiago route again (it's so comfortable),
and I will be in Burgos about April 23. Since I plan to cover no more than
about 17-18 km a day, you will soon catch up with me on the Meseta.
Say hello to a short woman in a red wind jacket!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'll also be volunteering May 20 - June 3, so see you then!
I've decided to walk the St. Jean-Santiago route again (it's so comfortable),
and I will be in Burgos about April 23. Since I plan to cover no more than
about 17-18 km a day, you will soon catch up with me on the Meseta.
Say hello to a short woman in a red wind jacket!
Will do! I may arrive in Burgos 24th, if I can get an afternoon ticket from Madrid airport to Burgos. So far, the ALSA website is not cooperative... so I may just buy it the day I arrive, and start walking the 25th. I think. Nothing's set in stone apart from May 20th, when I have to show up at the Pilgrims Office. CU & Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, I'm booked on to the 13:15 Madrid Airport - Burgos coach with ALSA on 24 April, so we may meet.

There's a later one at 15:15 and again at 18:45. Site is working fine now.
Hi! My plane has touchdown 16.10, so I'll go for the 18.45 bus, arriving Burgos 21.15. Will use www.booking.com to get me a room for the night and start walking 25th, if all goes well. Hope to see you.

Last night I booked my flight to Madrid: Will start walking from Burgos April 26th. I need some Meseta time; and beyond, to SdC. ;)

By sheer coincidence (or maybe not; read my signature line...), when I opened my mailbox this morning, there was an email from the Pilgrims Office, welcoming me to do volunteering work in the Pilgrims Office in that period.

I had contacted them a couple of weeks ago, offering myself for this, but it was a bit unexpected, however, I am very happy I have the time and opportunity to give something back for all I have been given on different Caminos the last 10 years or so.

Very pleased indeed. So, if you're arriving in SdC within that period, say hello! But I don't think I will write your Compostela: My handwriting is like a doctor's...
Enjoy your ‘tour of duty,’ Alex.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'll look out for you. I recommend the Via Gotica hotel in Burgos - very close to the bus station. (Although I see you're a seasoned traveller!)
I'm starting from Villabilla de Burgos.

I'll look out for you. I recommend the Via Gotica hotel in Burgos - very close to the bus station. (Although I see you're a seasoned traveller!)
Thanks for the tip: Looks good. Still cannot complete booking on ALSA: Have tried 2 diff. cards but after giving CC details, it hangs on "Complete your payment information"..... Cannot book a room before bus ticket... Will try tomorrow: Plenty of time.

(Although I see you're a seasoned traveller!)
Never too seasoned to not take good advice! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I feel happy for you alexwalker, you are a stalwart here, you can be the same in the office.

I feel happy for you alexwalker, you are a stalwart here, you can be the same in the office.
Not sure what that word means (Norwegian...), but I can assure you it is a humbling (and happy) feeling here for the task ahead...

I'm reading up in preparation:

Right-click to translate the website..

Edit: Some reflections by a former volunteer: Page 16, in English:

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That's annoying. Can I suggest you join the ALSAPlus scheme? Do it online - costs nothing and seems to give you a discount. And try paying with PayPal?
Hi Glen. As I am past 60 years, I prefer trains (Renfe) because I can buy a Carta Dorada (gold card) which gives 25% discount on train tickets. You can buy it at any train station (to my knowledge), and it will probably give you a discount bigger than the the cost for your first travel.

But this time, a direct ALSA bus Madrid-Burgos at ca. 22 Euros is my best choice. :) Will give booking another try tomorrow.🆒

Oh excellent news! You'll have a great time I am sure. Are you staying in the convent?

One of the (many) useful pieces of advice @t2andreo gave me was to buy a large pack of biscuits from the supermarket every so often and put them in the kitchen area - these went down well

You will get thrown in at the deep end - I was issuing Compostelas within 30 minutes of arrival! The other clerks are very helpful though.

Don't worry about your handwriting - take your time, write clearly in BLOCK CAPITALS. Yes fancy script looks good but if you do have a shaky hand . . . A lot of pilgrims will tell you that you have mis-spelled their name, you patiently explain that it's in Latin and they go "AH!" in awe of your skills.

You WILL make mistakes - at the end of the day the waste bins will have a LOT of spoilt Compostelas in them. The one I made most often: the month on the Compostela is in Latin, the month on the Distancia is in Spanish!

Ask Spaniards for their DNI (dee-en-eeh) card - it makes it easier to understand the whole Nombre/Apellidos thing.

When filling in the details on the computer you have to include the region where a Spanish pilgrim comes from - there are little maps stuck along the counter - always try and have one in front of you.

The names of the professions doesn't come easily:

Are the only choices you have. Where do you put Empresario for instance?

Oh and I only found out after about 3 days that there's a little icon on the screen. When you touch it a bell rings for your next customer.

So wish I was able to do it again this year.

Have fun, it really is a satisfying job.

I prefer trains (Renfe) because I can buy a Carta Dorada (gold card) which gives 25% discount on train tickets.
That's an excellent tip. I'd heard about the Tarjeta Dorada (just looked it up on the RENFE site) but I'd no idea it only cost €6. I'll get one for my return trip from Leon, which is as far as I'm going this year.

My Senior Railcard in the UK, which gives a 30% discount on off-peak tickets, costs £20 a year.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That's an excellent tip. I'd heard about the Tarjeta Dorada (just looked it up on the RENFE site) but I'd no idea it only cost €6. I'll get one for my return trip from Leon, which is as far as I'm going this year.

My Senior Railcard in the UK, which gives a 30% discount on off-peak tickets, costs £20 a year.
Glen,
Do you shop in Tesco? If you collect their Clubcard vouchers you can swap just £10 of vouchers for a Senior Railcard.

Not sure what that word means (Norwegian...), but I can assure you it is a humbling (and happy) feeling here for the task ahead...

I'm reading up in preparation:

Right-click to translate the website..

Edit: Some reflections by a former volunteer: Page 16, in English:

stalwartDictionary result for stalwart
  1. loyal, reliable, and hard-working.
    "he remained a stalwart supporter of the cause"

2. a loyal, reliable, and hard-working supporter of or participant in an organization or team.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I arrive from my Camino around 18 May. Will be in Santiago until 25 May.

Just sayin, if anyone is around...besides Alex. We will plan to meet up.
Hi Tom, I will be in Santiago, arriving on May 13th late afternoon, all day the 14th, and going home the 15th. I will miss seeing you by a few days, miss meeting Peter Franciscus by a few days, and miss meeting Alexwalker by a few days...bummer!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Alex! See you at the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago. I celebrate the Mass in English at the Chapel there at 9:30 am from Monday to Saturday except Wednesday (Fr. Joseph celebrates the Mass every Wednesday and on days when I have meetings or Masses elsewhere.) God bless and Buen Camino!

Hi Alex! See you at the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago. I celebrate the Mass in English at the Chapel there at 9:30 am from Monday to Saturday except Wednesday (Fr. Joseph celebrates the Mass every Wednesday and on days when I have meetings or Masses elsewhere.) God bless and Buen Camino!
Thank you. Looking forward to meeting you, Manny!

Last edited:
Glen,
I was not able to book on the ALSA site... Go figure. But I ordered a ticket 18.45 from Madrid Airport to Burgos on the 24th of April on the rome2rio website, delivering me in Burgos at 21.15. Thank you for your recommendation of the hotel Via Gotica in Burgos on booking dot com : Seems a perfect location after a long journey for bus/centre/next day's walk. Have reserved a room for 49 Euros, because I'm worth it... :) Will walk out of Burgos the next morning, heading for Hornillos del Camino. Thank you again. Hope to see you.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Alex,

ALSA site is a puzzle - but glad you've got your ticket.

Yes, the Via Gotica isn't the cheapest option in Burgos, but it's very convenient. You can walk across the bridge to the Cathedral to get your sello.

I'm trying to avoid the Brierley stages, so my first night after Burgos will be Hontanas. Then Boadilla del Camino. I'm sure we'll meet somewhere.

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back