• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paying by visa

Roselyn

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, 2016, starting August 28
Hi Pilgrims, do the auberges accept payment by visa? Or are there a lot of ATMs along the path? Basically, I'm looking to not carry loads of cash, from Sahagun to Santiago. Is visa accepted?

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
My gift: the best C-Frances app. 100% free with no ads or registration. Buen Camino!
Very few albergues would have the facilities to accept payment by credit card. Cash is king. There are ATMs along the way but sometimes it can be a day or two between. I withdraw two hundred euros and replenish as needed - taking note of where I am likely to encounter the next ATM and how much I am likely to be spending.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As stated, cash is normal done on the Camino. When you withdraw money take 200/300€ that's more than enough to have with you.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hi Pilgrims, do the auberges accept payment by visa? Or are there a lot of ATMs along the path? Basically, I'm looking to not carry loads of cash, from Sahagun to Santiago. Is visa accepted?
I walked from Roncesvalles to SdC last May June and the only two places I could not use my debit card was at a municipal albergue and one operated by a group of nuns.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked from Roncesvalles to SdC last May June and the only two places I could not use my debit card was at a municipal albergue and one operated by a group of nuns.

Did you stay mostly in pensions ans hotels then? Buen Camino, SY

I would definitely plan to pay for everything with cash. Just get money from ATMs along the way. There are some areas with very small towns/villages and you may not run across an ATM for a few days at a time, so always make sure to get more cash before you run low. My rule of thumb was to hit the ATM before I got down below 100 euro.

Did you stay mostly in pensions ans hotels then? Buen Camino, SY
Primarily private albergues. Ones that come to mind include Tio Pepe, En El Camino, Viatoris, La Laguna, Don Quiote, Meeting Place, Camino Real.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I messed up & forgot to get cash a couple times both times I had enough for food or a place to sleep, the sleep part was always the winner. Within a day you will almost always find an ATM.

This year I found many more places that took a credit card than my previous walks. That doesn't mean that you could rely on using a card, but you might find it useful to extend the time between cash withdrawals by using a card when that option is available. My advice would still be to plan to use cash, and treat any time you can use a credit card as a bonus.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would also be very careful of where I used a card.
I'm not suggesting that you forego your usual precautions when using a card, but pointing out that there are increased opportunities to use one, and by doing so, reduce the frequency of topping up your cash reserves.

Using plastic would be very convenient but in the few times I did, my bank account was tested 3 times in the 6 weeks walking. That was 2014 the hacking is probably even better now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello All!
I am fairly new to this forum and not too savvy at navigating the search feature. I leave the US on September 15th for my Camino and I am ready to go! I would however like any information I can get on using debit cards along the way. Could someone please post links to this information?
Thanks!!

Most read last week in this forum

I am a first time Camino pilgrim and plan to start my walk from SJPP to Santiago in late April. I have booked the first few nights (on the recommendation of a friend who walked the Camino last...
Need opinions: I am walking from Villafranca Montes de Oca to Burgos tomorrow, which route into Burgos should I take? The guide books and apps show 2 ways into Burgos. Any opinions on which path...
Hello, we’re looking at hiking up O Cebreiro on Monday, and it will be raining. We were wondering if it’s better to hike up the road when it’s raining, or is the trail safe enough? We hiked down...
Tomorrow is the day! Yesssssss!!!!!!!!!!! I will be flying from the US to Madrid, leaving tomorrow, arriving Pamplona the day after. I'm very excited to begin my 2nd camino. The weather will...
Hello, I'm walking the Camino Francés beginning the 16th of April from SJPdP, and would appreciate tips from the seasoned walkers amongst you :) Do you have tips for "special" accomodation option...
Connecting through Toronto now. Tomorrow evening I go to sleep in SJPDP!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back