• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

PBS

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF: 2001, 02, 04, 14. Ourense to Santiago 2019.
Tonight, December 17, PBS is airing a new show: “Ornaments of the World”.

The program covers the 800 year history of medieval Spain; highligting the manner in which Muslims, Jews, and Christians coexisted or did not so do.

Check PBS airdates for next viewing opportunity.

Buen camino

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tonight, PBS aired a new show: “Ornaments of the World”.

The program covers the 800 year history of medieval Spain; highligting the manner in which Muslims, Jews, and Christians coexisted or did not so do.

Check PBS airdates for next viewing opportunity.

Buen camino
I missed the first half hour, but it's showing again in a couple of day, so I have it set to record. Thanks.

Thank you NYC. I used my Roku streaming device and PBS to watch the documentary this morning. At the end they said that the book it was based on and a DVD of the show was available at shoppbs.org and that it could be downloaded from itunes. It's two hours folks.

In case you want to do searches for it online the name is actually "The Ornament of the World", from an old description of Cordoba.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
until Jan.14,2020 you can watch it here:

At least in the USA. Might be license restrictions elsewhere
Hooray, this is the first of the instructions for viewing that I have been able to follow! No apps, no roku, no need to record. Just go to the internet and watch it! Thanks, Stephan. Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just finished watching the PBS Video. Wonderful... One of the reasons I have been to Spain for the last seven summers from the US is to be walking through and immersed in thousands of years of recorded human history. Something that is not possible in my home country. My plans are to keep going back until I am physically unable.

Hooray, this is the first of the instructions for viewing that I have been able to follow! No apps, no roku, no need to record. Just go to the internet and watch it! Thanks, Stephan. Buen camino, Laurie
A lot of the national PBS programming can be watched on the pbs.org website for a few weeks after it has played on their regular stations. They usually post it a day or two after it’s been played the first time. Then after a few weeks they put a pay wall in front of it. The PBS app also does this. You just kind of have to poke around… What I don’t know is if it works overseas or only in the US.?

A lot of the national PBS programming can be watched on the pbs.org website for a few weeks after it has played on their regular stations. They usually post it a day or two after it’s been played the first time. Then after a few weeks they put a pay wall in front of it. The PBS app also does this. You just kind of have to poke around… What I don’t know is if it works overseas or only in the US.?

Does not work overseas, well at least not in Belgium.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The author of that book, who is extensively interviewed in the film, was a colleague of a friend of mine. Sadly, she died in 2012. https://news.yale.edu/2012/10/15/memoriam-mar-rosa-menocal

It is a great show, beautiful photography, too. So glad you posted about it @nycwalking. The website says it will be on the web until January 14, so for all you low tech forum members in the US, that’s the easiest option.

If you have a VPN, you may be able to change your network location fo USA and stream online.
Thank you, but I don 't have a VPN.
The coexistance of the three groups was not always so good in Al Andalus.
As far as I know, after the arrival of the Almoravides and Almohades from Morocco to restablish the islamic fundamentalism, both Christians and Jews were affected.

The author of that book, who is extensively interviewed in the film, was a colleague of a friend of mine. Sadly, she died in 2012. https://news.yale.edu/2012/10/15/memoriam-mar-rosa-menocal
Thanks for the link to that article, Laurie - very interesting to learn a little bit about her life and work. Her 2009 book, “The Arts of Intimacy: Christians, Jews and Muslims in the Making of Castilian Culture,” is now on my reading list. Whenever we travel in Spain, something from her “Ornament of the World” book pops into my mind to inform my understanding of the places we are visiting. I wish I could have met her.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did finally manage to watch this. Very interesting. I knew a little bit about the Moorish history of Spain, But this offered me much more detail. In a better world, it would be a nice model for a renewal of religious cooperation between the west and islam. The “ornament“, referred to is the city of Cordova, as named by a ninth century German Christian nun!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back