• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD PCR Conundrum

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave welsh rambler

Time of past OR future Camino
My plans for a mid sept start have been thrown into doubt. I now see that to get back to the UK I must have a negative test to be able to get on the plane home. My plan was to walk into SDC and then catch a booked flight out the next day. I cant see a way how I can get a test whilst always walking that will allow me to get on that plane. Is the only solution to commit to staying in SDC for a couple of days and await the result of the test if taken there?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks both for the info. I had misunderstood the uk requirements as compulsory rather than preferred for the PCR test. Thanks again for putting me straight and back on my planning.

Welcome to the club. Most of us, non-EU folks, have the same issue. There is a LOT of good information here in the forum. Search for “PCR test at Santiago.”

Basically, you need to make an appointment to get a test on the SECOND DAY before you plan to travel. This gets you a test result good for 72-hours the next day, or THE DAY BEFORE YOU ACTUALLY travel home. Most of the labs deliver a result in 24–hours. But you have to be in Santiago to pick up the printed results that are acceptable to the airlines and border officials.

Many of the test sites have websites where you can make an appointment online. Also, many of these places have English speakers to facilitate matters.

I arrive in Santiago on 2 September for three weeks at the Pilgrim Office. My research on the forum provided me several places to make an appointment for a PCR test, in time for my return to the US.

The bottom line is that the days of arriving at Santiago in the morning, getting your Compostela and then attending the noon Pilgrim Mass, so you can depart for home in the afternoon are LONG GONE!

To do the PCR test, you need to spend two nights at Santiago, AND pre-schedule your test.

This is the new, pandemic-driven paradigm. We don’t need to like it. But we DO need to accept it, and just roll with it.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
hi
Another option that I'm going to do is to buy a lateral flow test here in the UK to take with you on the Camino and you then do it and send a photo to the company and they reply with a pdf for travel. That way no need to book clinics in Santiago...see attached firm as an example
I heard about this from the Daily Telegraph travel writer.....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
hi
Another option that I'm going to do is to buy a lateral flow test here in the UK to take with you on the Camino and you then do it and send a photo to the company and they reply with a pdf for travel. That way no need to book clinics in Santiago...see attached firm as an example
I heard about this from the Daily Telegraph travel writer.....

Friends of mine have used breatheassured.com to do just that. They schedule a live FaceTime call to verify the test and issue a certificate straight away by email. Other options are available as you have found.

Last edited:
you mean this one....

you mean this one....
I do - I missed an ‘e’ out of my post. I’ll amend it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Perhaps, but some labs require you to pick up your results in person. Besides, you cannot question an e-mail, or ask it to explain something to you.

I recommend not trying to argue the point, and just plan time to pick it up in person.

Hope this helps.

Tom

You get a QRvcode in the email…that a scanner reads…same as a boarding ticket

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,
All of the presented information is very helpful, thank you to all who posted.
I would be grateful if a forum member could explain what happens if the PCR (or lateral flow) test proves positive.
Self isolation? Where/How?
thanks,
Arthur Loughran

Hi,
All of the presented information is very helpful, thank you to all who posted.
I would be grateful if a forum member could explain what happens if the PCR (or lateral flow) test proves positive.
Self isolation? Where/How?
thanks,
Arthur Loughran
Here is a thread on that topic.

The regulations are slightly different in different parts of Spain because the public health system is administered at the level of Comunidad Autónoma — Galicia, Castilla y La Mancha, Andalucía, etc. But in general you should expect to quarantine in a hotel at your expense for anywhere from five to ten days, returning home after a negative test.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back