• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD PCR test for crossing from Spain by bus or taxi to France for SJPP?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarcyWalksThe World

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm already in Spain and will fly to Pamplona June 23 and would like to make my way to SJPP to start my camino. However, it seems that I might need to show a negative PCR test to cross the border from Spain to France.
Has anyone made this crossing recently by BUS or TAXI and can confirm if a negative test is needed? Otherwise I suppose I will start in Roncesvalles instead....

Reactions: Gar
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm already in Spain and will fly to Pamplona June 23 and would like to make my way to SJPP to start my camino. However, it seems that I might need to show a negative PCR test to cross the border from Spain to France.
Has anyone made this crossing recently by BUS or TAXI and can confirm if a negative test is needed? Otherwise I suppose I will start in Roncesvalles instead....
Hi Darcy, I’m in the same boat as you. Going to Pamplona tomorrrow, I’m going to take the bus to Roncasvalles on Monday and either get a taxi to the border and walk the valley route back to Roncasvalles or walk the Napoleon route to the border and walk back that way. I figure at the moment that is the best option for me. I will let you know how I get on.

Thank you for letting me know! I have no idea where to start because of the test. I’m not paying €200 for a test to cross the border...just can’t. So starting in Roncevalles might be the only way. Good luck to you and keep me posted!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for letting me know! I have no idea where to start because of the test. I’m not paying €200 for a test to cross the border...just can’t. So starting in Roncevalles might be the only way. Good luck to you and keep me posted!!!
Ok will do

Last edited:
“Rejoice if you’re fully vaccinated: French President Emmanuel Macron told local media outlets this week that international tourists, including inoculated Americans, can visit beginning June 9 as part of a broader tourism reopening. “ Will this statement eliminate the concern, at least if you are a vaccinated American.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
From the news site:
From June 9th these restrictions will be relaxed for travelers from outside the EU provided they have a “health pass” which is likely to involved a vaccine certificate AND/OR a negative PCR test.”

So hopefully just the vaccine certificate BUT it could also be a PCR test to be shown as well.
Now we just wait until 9 June!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
...and where does one access getting this test while hiking in the boonie border areas of France and Spain (I suppose adding Portugal to the mix would also be appropriate given the popularity of the Portuguese route) ??? I think that would be my biggest concern.

“Rejoice if you’re fully vaccinated: French President Emmanuel Macron told local media outlets this week that international tourists, including inoculated Americans, can visit beginning June 9 as part of a broader tourism reopening. “ Will this statement eliminate the concern, at least if you are a vaccinated American.
Keep your eye on the news; it’s already changed for people from uk. Need a good reason to visit and touring isn’t one of them! That was after a week prior explaining what papers were needed to visit family in France. Unfortunately it is still constantly changing. IF you can get into France, there appears to be no problem getting into Spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
...and where does one access getting this test while hiking in the boonie border areas of France and Spain (I suppose adding Portugal to the mix would also be appropriate given the popularity of the Portuguese route) ??? I think that would be my biggest concern.
Hi Jim, I have the same issue in September. There are a number of clinics that administer the PCR test in the major cities here in Spain and I'm sure they will have the same facilities in Portugal. My husband had to have one recently to travel to the UK for work and he paid 140 euros, but that was for flying and the most expensive one I did see that there were cheaper ones and I'm not to sure because I didn't really pay attention but its possible that the price depends on the vaccine you need, I´ll have to check. Sadly this doesn't help if you are in Roncasvalles and discover that you can´t get to SJPP without one. Lets wait to see what happens on the 7th of June but you may need to get a PCR test in somewhere like Pamplona or another city en route or start in Roncasvalles

From the news site:
From June 9th these restrictions will be relaxed for travelers from outside the EU provided they have a “health pass” which is likely to involved a vaccine certificate AND/OR a negative PCR test.”
It's vaccine certificate or negative PCR or antigen or proof of having recovered from Covid19.

I think it's also important with the pcr test to read the requirements for the country you are entering . Some countries may have different requirements. I recently read an article about an elderly gentleman and his daughter who had a pair of negative PCR tests within the 72 hour window to fly, but their paperwork only showed the name and address of the company who took the test (swabs) and did not include the same information for the lab that processed the test. They were denied boarding.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I recently read an article about
Was it this one: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57243205?

Sally Shiels was due to fly from Birmingham airport to Dublin on Friday 21 May to visit her parents. She says she, and about 30 other passengers, were not allowed to board the plane because they had the wrong type of negative Covid-19 test result.

Imogen in London had a similar experience at Luton airport on Saturday 22 May. She wasn't allowed to board her EasyJet flight to Porto in Portugal.
This seems to be related to a special kind of NHS test where the tested person doesn't have to pay anything/doesn't automatically get the required documentation. If there's not even the date of the test on the paper it's not surprising that they were denied boarding.

Does this issue even arise when you get your PCR test in SJPP?

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes it was in Florida, but who knows what the rules are in the country you are entering without researching the government website . I guess I meant travelling in general not just entering Spain . My current plan is to stop in Iceland for 4 days , on my way to start the Camino in France .

Yes, but this thread is about a very precise situation: crossing the land border from France to Spain. People will be confronted with this issue only after they have already managed to get into France.

Has anyone made this crossing recently by BUS or TAXI and can confirm if a negative test is needed?
You need to consult the government websites of France and Spain and not go by anything else. And these website say that you must have had a negative PCR test when you cross from Spain into France (RT-PCR COVID datant de moins de 72 heures avant le départ. Cette obligation concerne tous les modes de déplacements - arrivée par voie routière, ferroviaire, aérienne ou maritime) and when you cross from France into Spain (que lleguen a España por vía terrestre deberán disponer de una prueba PCR (RT-PCR), una prueba TMA u otro tipo de prueba diagnóstica para SARS-CoV-2 basada en técnicas moleculares equivalentes). Some EU countries have exemptions when you cross and return with 48 hours but I don't see that France and Spain have such an exemption.

If you don't wish to comply, then start in Roncesvalles or Pamplona.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It gets quickly very confusing when many different situations, countries, borders from one side and borders from the other side, and corresponding rules are mixed together.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No worries @Traveller44 ! It IS good advice to make sure your negative tests have all the details required by the respective government regulations. I never knew anyone would be denied based on a lack of laboratory details.

There is something else, and if you live far away from borders in the EU, you may not realise this. Being controlled at the border and complying with rules for crossing a border are not the same thing. Myself, my friends and family have been crossing borders in private cars and trains all year long (provided it was allowed). I don't recall that anybody was ever controlled. Yet we all complied with the requirements regarding tests and self-isolation. It's only now that most of us have already received the first jab and quite a few the second jab that our self-discipline and willpower is waning. So the question whether someone has crossed recently and the idea that their experience on the ground will tell you what the rules are is somewhat moot. The rules are on the government websites.

Last edited:
I think it's also important with the pcr test to read the requirements for the country you are entering . Some countries may have different requirements. I recently read an article about an elderly gentleman and his daughter who had a pair of negative PCR tests within the 72 hour window to fly, but their paperwork only showed the name and address of the company who took the test (swabs) and did not include the same information for the lab that processed the test. They were denied boarding.
This is where it gets so confusing for the traveler. Every country has their stipulations and it seems that they're all varying and different in what they require. It would be nice if they could all get on the same page, in order to avoid this mass confusion.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Another Rookie mistake
In my honest opinion, you have every right to ASK a question and get an answer - why apologize? This Forum is exactly for that expressed purpose - to ask questions and get reliable and informed answers. One thing I have not liked or appreciated on the Forum, is how some people are so quick to jump down throats (this has happened to me several times now) and make broad/negative assumptions about my intentions.

One thing I have not liked or appreciated on the Forum, is how some people are so quick to jump down throats (this has happened to me several times now) and make broad/negative assumptions about my intentions.
In this thread, however, what happened was that an attempt was made to keep this thread on topic: clarification of current rules on PCR test requirement when crossing border France-Spain on foot and not let it drift into the broad realm of what can happen on flights elsewhere in the world.

I think the point is the vaccination process is picking up speed and as it does the rules may change and the need to check the government websites to whatever country you are travelling is necessary

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
More heat than light in these fraught times, in life and on The Forum.

But, to add one little note of encouragement: starting the CF in Roncesvalles represents a lovely choice. It’s no less stunning visually and challenging physically than starting in SJPdeP. And if you can arrive in Ronc in the evening, and attend the Mass in the church near the albergue, it will buoy you as you start the next morning; you’ll almost hear Roland’s battle cries as you head out. If nothing else, the road mileage sign (“Santiago de Compostela 789 km”) will both daunt and inspire (as it did, me!).

I suggest that this thread be closed as it contains outdated information. I would edit my comments to adapt them to the actual situation but it is no longer possible. The edit option is not available because the thread is too old.

Currently:
  • Vaccinated pilgrims do not need a PCR or antigen test when crossing from France to Spain.
  • Pilgrims do not need a test when crossing from Portugal to Spain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back