• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

pdf of the john brierley book

Jackie

Hi everyone,

I have seen some posts before about how they scanned the john brierley book and saved it to a pdf file and used that on the camino. I don't have a scanner but would like to see if anyone would send me the pdf file they have. I would love to save the weight of the book, since I am taking my iPhone with me I can use that to read the pdf file. Thanks for all the help on this forum. I have learned so much. My camino starts May 10th and am so excited. Jackie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi everyone,

I have seen some posts before about how they scanned the john brierley book and saved it to a pdf file and used that on the camino. I don't have a scanner but would like to see if anyone would send me the pdf file they have. I would love to save the weight of the book, since I am taking my iPhone with me I can use that to read the pdf file. Thanks for all the help on this forum. I have learned so much. My camino starts May 10th and am so excited. Jackie
I didn't think of that, sorry. I do own the book, but no scanner. I will just take the book with me. Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I didn't think of that, sorry. I do own the book, but no scanner. I will just take the book with me. Thanks

You could get it copied into a pdf file at your local office supplies store.

On the other hand ... a book is easier to dig out and consult with during rest stops and those times of route confusion than an e book or tablet.

Daniel Boone — 'I've never been lost, but I was mighty turned around for three days once.'

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi everyone,

So... you would scan and then what? How would your smart phone help? I don't understand. You would email yourself the PDF?

I do 2 things: a) take pictures of every page with my Iphone and consult each picture as I go along. b) I also photocopy each page, the recopy them on 2sides to finally copy again shrinking by 50% or more - as small as possible while still being able to read. This way, if Iphone runs out of batteries, gets wet, stops working or gets lost I still have my paper guide, the size of a credit card. I keep that in a heavyduty-waterproof type of Ziplock bag available in camping supply stores - closes by folding the top over twice and velcro. Have a wonderful Camino Jackie.

Brierley's book is not such a heavy addition to your backpack. I have read here that people sometimes cut and discard the pages as thet pass along the Camino - but why? Take the book for accommodation, the Camino is now so well marked that the maps are all but un-necessary. If you want the complete experience, a book which will detail the nuances of history, art and architecture in all the hamlets, villages, and towns you pass then purchase the Kindle edition of "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago" by David Gitlitz and his wife Linda Davidson try Amazon. The Camino can be enjoyed like Disney Land, all pretty lights, nice people, and pleasant music but there is so much more there.

For $12 I downloaded from Amazon.com the Kindle edition of "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago" by David Gitlitz and Linda Davidson. I read ahead on the next day's route and it truly enhanced the Camino experience. My tablet is less than 2 pounds and within it I have about 4 Camino books, a camera, video, journal, a GPS, Skype capabilities, etc,etc....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everyone,

The Brierly book has it's own App! ecamino.eu can be downloaded. It includes all the stuff in the book, plus a daily thought and a memo board where you can post about albergue vacancies, talk to other pilgrims, swap advice etc. It will allow your family at home to track you via GPS as well. Very cool. Its a couple of Euros (7 or 8 I think) and well worth it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can scan your own book and take the .pdf.
Thank you for pointing this out. Many don't understand copyright infringement or simply aren't thinking about respect for authors. It happens all the time. You may have just awakened many. Good job.

Take John Brierley book with you. Write in it, fold the corner of pages over even though you were told not to do that as a kid, spill red wine on it at 9.30 pm when you should be in bed but you are out in a bar trying to decide where you are going to finish up the next day. After it all it is your book so you can mistreat it as much as you like.

Debate with fellow pilgrims how much he is out as far as distance is concerned, ring some of the accommodation places for a place to stay only to find out that they have closed since the book was published. Curse the extra weight in your pack. But whatever you do:

(1) Don't tear any pages out.

(2) Don't lend it to anybody, they may not give it back.

(3) Take it home with you and give it pride of place on your bookshelf.

You will be so pleased you did later in life, our John Brierley guide book is on our bookshelf and we often refer to it when we are talking to members of our Camino Family.

Next year it will be joined by our used copy of Miam Miam Dodo for the Le Puy route. It will have notes written in it, pages turned over and red wine stains on it also.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Take John Brierley book with you. Write in it, fold the corner of pages over even though you were told not to do that as a kid, spill red wine on it at 9.30 pm when you should be in bed but you are out in a bar trying to decide where you are going to finish up the next day. After it all it is your book so you can mistreat it as much as you like.

You will be so pleased you did later in life

A great sentiment, and - as a lover of books - one with which I concur absolutely!

I know it can be tough deciding what to take and what not to, and, as many will attest, each and every item packed in your bag needs to justify itself. But physical mementos of a special trip can be just as valuable as memories.

So maybe what I am saying is don't dismiss the paper version without a little consideration - after all, in years to come, the object that you pick up, touch, feel, smell and feast your eyes upon, that brings all those memories and sensations flooding back again, is unlikely to be a smartphone! ;)

The Brierly book has it's own App! ecamino.eu can be downloaded. It includes all the stuff in the book, plus a daily thought and a memo board where you can post about albergue vacancies, talk to other pilgrims, swap advice etc. It will allow your family at home to track you via GPS as well. Very cool. Its a couple of Euros (7 or 8 I think) and well worth it.
I just wish it had been out before I scanned mine into a pdf. :( Even so I refer to my printed version often, sometimes with nostalgia and sometimes with anticipation. :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Having taken ALL my guide books and maps as e-books, for a long trek to Jerusalem.... I can say I would never do it again lol after struggling to read on the very small screen of my iphone ,most of the time in the pouring rain. Not easy. And bright sunshine wasn't much better!
If you only need one guide book, like on the Camino, take it and enjoy having a proper book. The weight difference is minimal :)

Debate with fellow pilgrims how much he is out as far as distance is concerned, ring some of the accommodation places for a place to stay only to find out that they have closed since the book was published. Curse the extra weight in your pack. But whatever you do:

(1) Don't tear any pages out.

(2) Don't lend it to anybody, they may not give it back.

(3) Take it home with you and give it pride of place on your bookshelf.

You will be so pleased you did later in life, our John Brierley guide book is on our bookshelf and we often refer to it when we are talking to members of our Camino Family.

Next year it will be joined by our used copy of Miam Miam Dodo for the Le Puy route. It will have notes written in it, pages turned over and red wine stains on it also.
Mine also got soaked on a day in Galicia when a guy called Noah had his hammer and nails out. Was still damp when I got to Santiago. It is now stuck together with sellotape and signed by John Brierley when I met him at the recent agm of the Irish Association. He said he loved to see his book held together with tape :). It sits on my bookshelf along side Hape Kerkelings, another by a Christian Brother and my own.Dont think I will bring it on next Camino, his lighter map book should suffice next time

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looking at the links provided about the app seems quite cheap at 10 dollars. I notice however that there seem to be a lot of comments up to November discussing problems and none since. Anyone know the current situation?

I haven't bought 10$ ebook extension with guide content but on Google play it has 3.5 start rating currently.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow, nothing but one star reviews in itunes. Does it fare better on the other platforms?

I haven't bought 10$ ebook extension with guide content but on Google play it has 3.5 start rating currently.

Buy a book. It will contain errors. Down-load an app / e.book it will contain errors. Want perfection? Write it yourself while you walk.

There is no accurate, precise, complete guide to the Camino. The camino changes on a daily basis. Even the distance walked from St Jean pied de Port or Pamplona changes all the time from diversions, re-routings and continental drift.

Poor old JB does his best, relies on receiving accurate up-dates from contributors and still walks himself.

Tincatinker like so often you are 'hitting the nail on the head' as we day in my native tongue! SY

Actually, only two of the reviews on itunes mentioned content, and then not complaining about it, one just that it couldn't be gotten, and one was the usual whine about in-app purchases. The majority were about the app crashing and ceasing to function. There was only one for the current version, but it also said that the app stopped working entirely during the reviewer's camino.

EDIT It sounds like they need to hire a new iOS developer to help out, if they're doing okay in the Android store.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
SY, thanks. Pudgypilgrim, I think part of my "grouch" is around the modern concept that IT solves problems, whereas my view is that it, mainly, solves problems that did not previously exist while busily creating new problems both for its users and those of us that would choose to hit it with a stick.

Or to re-word an old saying: IT helps us to solves problems that we wouldn't have had if IT wouldn't exist! Buen Camino con o sin IT, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If any one is looking for an app which has the route on this is good as you can download the maps at home so you don't need Internet while out.
It's called Camino Pilgrim
Hope this helps someone

I've brought my guidebook and i've put ebooks, pdf maps and other info on my phone.

In my book, at the end of the day, nothing beats a book.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back