A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Peace and Love on the Forum

For many years this forum has been a sanctuary of peace different from the rest of social media. The posters were a self selecting bunch of pilgrims interested in or about to walk the Camino or they may have walked it and were happy to give advice to newcomers. We all rubbed along well together.

More recently the sometimes aggressive attitude found elsewhere online seems to have crept in. Intolerance and the inability to see the other man's or woman's point of view and always wanting the last word has become far to common. This is not a forum for point scoring and people will probably think worse of you rather than better if you insist you are the only person on the planet with the correct view.

I hope people will consider what they write and count to 10 before they press the reply button as most of these comments must have been written in anger and haste.

Peace and Love

Advertisment

Tincatinker

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
I found this forum by accident and visited out of interest. There came a day when I registered as a member because I felt that I really wanted to participate. Later than that I offered my services as a moderator ( mainly because I thought anarchists & pagans were under-represented ) and was accepted in to that role. And now, sadly, @William Marques, another pilgrim who offered his time and energy to this place, is speaking a truth that should be understood.

Thanks William for the reminder

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Thanks @William Marques. We nearly left the forum at one point because of the aggression etc at the time. Now we just try to ignore it or calm it down. Sadly we know of others who have either not joined , or ceased to participate because they visited at a time of heightened aggression etc. :-(
Thanks to all the Moderators who do their best to keep things calm and civilised - and 'yes' let's all check what we have typed and see if it can be misunderstood or if it is aggressive and intolerant. :)

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
camino frances,camino del norte,camino frances
For many years this forum has been a sanctuary of peace different from the rest of social media. The posters were a self selecting bunch of pilgrims interested in or about to walk the Camino or they may have walked it and were happy to give advice to newcomers. We all rubbed along well together.

More recently the sometimes aggressive attitude found elsewhere online seems to have crept in. Intolerance and the inability to see the other man's or woman's point of view and always wanting the last word has become far to common. This is not a forum for point scoring and people will probably think worse of you rather than better if you insist you are the only person on the planet with the correct view.

I hope people will consider what they write and count to 10 before they press the reply button as most of these comments must have been written in anger and haste.

Peace and Love
Peace and love to all the peregrinos

stgcph

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
I followed this forum for about a year while I was winding up deciding to make my first Camino.

I decided to join because it appeared to me that this forum, as opposed to many other so-called “social media”, was focused on mutual help and support.

Let it stay that way.

hel&scott

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
We've dipped into the forum off and on over they years, usually in the lead up to the another Camino to catch up on route changes and benefited from (and at times ignored) the advice that's given. Occasionally I'll read and take part in an intersting thred and don't expect to agree with all the opinions expressed, given the range of people involved I wouldn't expect that pagan history buffs are going to be in total agreement with clerical members, just as newbies and old hands are going to have different views. But I've appreciated the views of others and some of the debate that ensues. Given the limits of the written word, it can be very difficult at times for the true tone of what is intended to be interpreted and the moderators job must be a difficult one.

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata.
Just as we all have different views and different experiences, we also need to keep in mind our different cultural and linguistic backgrounds. Some cultures are very forthright in the way they express themselves (I learnt never to ask my Norwegian exchange student "How do I look in this dress?"), and some cultures soften the truth (I loved asking my Bolivian exchange student the same question!). So I try to ensure my comments are aimed so as not to offend anyone. Hard for an Ozzie!

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Just as we all have different views and different experiences, we also need to keep in mind our different cultural and linguistic backgrounds. Some cultures are very forthright in the way they express themselves (I learnt never to ask my Norwegian exchange student "How do I look in this dress?"), and some cultures soften the truth (I loved asking my Bolivian exchange student the same question!). So I try to ensure my comments are aimed so as not to offend anyone. Hard for an Ozzie!
So what was then about the beard??? :D

I woke up this morning to a long thread on the seemingly tame topic about walking sticks on the Camino Portugués. My patient, long suffering moderator colleagues in another hemisphere had deleted about seven posts, in which two people had started sparring. For the record, terms like "arrogant", "remarkably uninformed," "judgmental," and "cynical" were not what @William Marques had in mind when he put out this call for peace and love.

I don't think it takes a huge amount of self awareness to see when your conversation has degenerated into a food fight. That is the point at which you should either move it to a PM or let it go. Buen camino, Laurie

No moderator has access to PMs unless one of the participants reports something. If there are two willing food fighters, and you keep it to yourselves, no one will ever know. I am not recommending this btw, but just wanted to say that moderators will not be watching.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances. Camino del Norte
Future Camino Portuguese APRIL
Thank you so much for your words of wisdom. I have only recently started to read this Forum And I was really surprised with some attitudes about people walking. I have done three Camino each different and each a wonderful experience. For me the people were part of that experience. Loved everything about walking.

Camino(s) past & future
2014 and 2015 and 2016
Peace and love are two words of my youth and are still very actual. I like them.
On the camino, I learned that we are all on the path, perhaps at different places and we walk at different speeds but we all go; I am now far away from what I was 5 years ago and I will be further on in in another 5 years. So we have to be tolerant and open and help each other on this stretch of our life path.
Thanks to raise this point

Camino(s) past & future
September2016
Thanks @William Marques. We nearly left the forum at one point because of the aggression etc at the time. Now we just try to ignore it or calm it down. Sadly we know of others who have either not joined , or ceased to participate because they visited at a time of heightened aggression etc. :-(
Thanks to all the Moderators who do their best to keep things calm and civilised - and 'yes' let's all check what we have typed and see if it can be misunderstood or if it is aggressive and intolerant. :)
A few weeks ago I noticed several snarky comments from a few people. I didn't comment. But I was disappointed by the 'less than generous' comments. I decided to back away for a bit. Well, im back and enjoying the forum... peace, love, and walking.

Camino(s) past & future
Planning to begin my second Camino April 15, 2017.
Yes, there is so much good, warmth, kindness and love expressed and demonstrated by locals and pilgrims. Allowing it to wash over me, bathing me, in celebration of the human spirit, in the present moment. Fostering acceptance of self, others and all that is in love; is a gift I receive through the camino.

Felipe

Veteran Member
I think the mods do a wonderful job, here. Besides, there is always the "report" button and the "member to ignore" option. I have never used them, although sometimes, I have been very, very tempted.
Anyway, they seem handy...
On the other side, I frankly prefer a "too lively" thread instead of the umpteenth question about "how to go from Pamplona to Roncesvalles" or the old "shoe vs boots" favorite topic. Sometimes the demand for peace and love, every day, every time, every moment, is just boring.

Camino(s) past & future
Hope to walk the CF in Sep/Oct, 2018 with my wife
I now consider my start on the Camino as July 2016, when I found out about, then joined this forum. Even use as an evening devotion of sorts as I ponder the words of others. Sometimes snarky and even an occasional trolling, but the responses from moderators have been lessons in tolerance. Someday (I hope next year) to actually set foot on the Spanish soil of the Camino, but for now let me express my gratitude for those before me now showing me the Way.

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.6%