• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Peace Museum in Gernika/Guernica?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Has anyone visited the Peace Museum in Gernika? Can you describe how much of it is dedicated to the bombing and the Spanish Civil War? The web site gave me the impression that there isn't much. Thanks.

Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There really isn't a whole lot, maybe 25%. BUT... there's an immersion instalation that puts you in the skin of a person in Guernica that day. You enter a room staged as a flat and a sound track telling the sorry of the woman living in it starts. She's in her kitchen etc. etc., and the, the bombing. Quite moving to me is the transparent floor which is laid on top of what would have been the floor of the flat after the bombing, with broken dishes, photographs, etc.

There are also photos, letters and other documents explaining the events that led to the bombing, why that city was chosen for the bombing (anti-Basque sentiment).

That's what I was expecting to see and was having to have seen, although the overall interest on peace as a more complex subject has its place as we look forward and not just back in history.

H Laurie. I didn't visit the Peace Museum, but had an incredible experience walking through Guernica on 26 April this year. I happened to be walking through the main square at the exact moment the air-raid siren sounded and the church bells rang out to mark the 79th anniversary of the bombing.

I would imagine that there will be a lot of information available in 2017 for the 80th anniversary, particularly if you happened/planned to arrive on 26 April.
Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was there two years ago. I found it really good and honest - as Anemone describes it.
Bjorg

We were there in June. We read a book on the history (it's on my husband,s kindle, so I can't recall the name). This helped prepare us for the tragedy this town experienced. We spent the day there, and it was worth it. It was very moving.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Disconnecting from our daily life and living a nomadic lifestyle for a short period of time creates an opportunity to feel a deep sense of peace and tranquility. Yes we love the food, and the people, and the walking, and the camaraderie (not the snoring so much), but I think we return to the camino because we are "freedom junkies" and we crave the feeling of inner peace. It is one of the greatest joys of being on camino and one to be cherished.

The Museo de la Paz de Guernika is a reminder of the atrocities war.
What is peace? What happened in Gernika in 1937? What is the current situation of peace in the world? Taking the previous questions as a point of reference, the Peace Museum targets at creating an attractive and dynamic area that does not expect to impose absolute truths, but invites visitors to ask themselves and talk about peace. The motto of the museum states that "It is a museum to remember, a museum for the future". [Qoute]
I highly recommend a visit to the Peace Museum.

An excellent book about the Guernica bombing is "Guernica" by Dave Boling. He introduces you to the Basque culture and ethos through very memorable characters. His vivid description of the horrific bombing and the death of many of the characters you have come to love will evoke tears and and great pathos. He even details Picasso's reaction and the creation of his famous painting. This is a compelling book, trust me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
An excellent book about the Guernica bombing is "Guernica" by Dave Boling. He introduces you to the Basque culture and ethos through very memorable characters. His vivid description of the horrific bombing and the death of many of the characters you have come to love will evoke tears and and great pathos. He even details Picasso's reaction and the creation of his famous painting. This is a compelling book, trust me.

Thanks for the the recommendation, have just downloaded the book.

If you plan on spending a might in Gernika, arrive early or book something, be it a bed at the youth hostel or a pension. The town fills up quickly as so many want to visit it.

A tour of the townhall is also well worth it: beautiful stained glass.

Has anyone visited the Peace Museum in Gernika? Can you describe how much of it is dedicated to the bombing and the Spanish Civil War? The web site gave me the impression that there isn't much. Thanks.

Buen camino, Laurie
My friend and I were there in September. It is well worth the visit and has a lot dedicated to the events at that time. It is also heart wrenching.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I spent some hour there some years ago, and found it very interesting. Enjoyed the examples of art around the town too, not only the Picasso painting.
As for museums of the Civil War I by incident dropped into one in Salamanca walking through there in 2011.

Thinking about visiting Guernica on April 26 on the 80th anniversary of the bombing. I suspect I need to be making reservations if this is going to happen so would appreciate some info. Can the Peace Museum be appreciated by someone who only speaks English and what is the best way to get there from around Estella?

Thinking about visiting Guernica on April 26 on the 80th anniversary of the bombing. I suspect I need to be making reservations if this is going to happen so would appreciate some info. Can the Peace Museum be appreciated by someone who only speaks English and what is the best way to get there from around Estella?
Rome2rio.com will tell you how to get there I'm sure, but intuitevely I would say get to Bilbao from Logrono or Pamplona, and then bus to Guernika. As for reserving, are we takking a bed? If so yes, even on any other day as this town has few accomodations. And yes, even if no Spanish is spoken. But don't expect the museum to only be about Guernika and its bombing, that is perhaps 25% of it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the recommendation, Jayree. Boling's book "Guernica" was SO good... a must-read for anyone who loves the Basque culture (and how can one walk the CF without becoming enchanted with that culture?)!

Thanks for the recommendation, Jayree. Boling's book "Guernica" was SO good... a must-read for anyone who loves the Basque culture (and how can one walk the CF without becoming enchanted with that culture?)!
Hi,
I also loved Bolings book “Guernica”. I would also recommend one of his reference books...”the basque history of the world” by Mark Kurlansky...an amazingly informative book with anyone interested in the Basque culture! It also puts some substance which supplements “Guernica”.
I am planning mycamino for next year and am
Favouring the Camino Frances but amtryingto plan a detour to Guernica because of my interest in the Basque culture
Your posts are great!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.