• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Peak" pilgrims?

S

simply B

It may be too early to call it but the first quarter of 2017 shows a distinct reduction in pilgrim numbers compared to first quarter of 2016.

1st quarter 2016 = 14,104 pilgrims showed up at the pilgrim office.
1st quarter 2017 = 8,227 " " " " "

That is almost 42% reduction. (original data can be found here (https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/statistics/)

Any of the "local to Camino" experts here concur with this? (Just curious...)

B

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Differences in the winter weather perhaps? I think I heard it was a hard winter in Europe, just as in the eastern US.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last year was declared a holy year. Hence the higher numbers.

If you want to compare apples ... try the year before last.

Good call, I should have thought of that!

Yes, that comparison (2017 vs 2015) yields a 4.9% increase.

So, I'd have to say it is too early to call but comparing "full year" stats for "year prior" against "year post" Holy Years, this is a pretty minor increase compared to data going back to 1990. I reckon we'll see...

B

Compare the numbers for individual months for 2016 and 2017. Last year, Easter was in March. This year, Easter is in April. I guess this explains the decrease in total numbers for the first three months of the year because most of it is due to the March figures. We will know more at the end of April 2017 :).

You'll know even more in December.

Not sure about the numbers going down based on real world experience. On my 8th Camino and 5th along the Frances all in April. I know it's always busy around Easter week, but am in Burgos now and past week Albergues have been full, aside from usual choke points. Today I'm moving to the Primitivo where hopefully a little quieter. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
whariwharangi makes a very good point. 2016 was a declared "Year of Mercy" by Pope Francis. This made this year, and all pilgrimages done during the year fall under Holy Year rules.

Consequently, interest particularly among Christians, especially Catholics increased. So, 2016 is likely a spike, more akin to a formal Holy Year.

I agree that the comparison to 2015 numbers is likely more appropriate for that reason.

This stated, the two weeks that straddle the Easter holiday are usually a peak time as well. People have time off, and combine formal holidays with personal time to have a week or more off work. This allows them to do pilgrimage.

Now that Easter / Semana Santa is behind us, the daily numbers arriving at the Pilgrim Office should start to go back to normal, probably next week, after 23 April.

Easter does; however, mark the start of the formal season for pilgrimage. The Pilgrim Office at Santiago increases its opening hours starting after Easter. Now they are open 0800 through 2100 until October.

I hope this helps.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Not sure about the numbers going down based on real world experience. On my 8th Camino and 5th along the Frances all in April. I know it's always busy around Easter week, but am in Burgos now and past week Albergues have been full, aside from usual choke points. Today I'm moving to the Primitivo where hopefully a little quieter. :)
Good insights are all I was after, so thank you for the "on the ground" report, @dgallen!

My reason for looking into this was a potential Camino this Fall. Pretty sure that I don't want to walk with any numbers greater than observed in Fall of 2014.

Again, much appreciated!

B

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
whariwharangi makes a very good point. 2016 was a declared "Year of Mercy" by Pope Francis. This made this year, and all pilgrimages done during the year fall under Holy Year rules.

Consequently, interest particularly among Christians, especially Catholics increased. So, 2016 is likely a spike, more akin to a formal Holy Year.

I agree that the comparison to 2015 numbers is likely more appropriate for that reason.

This stated, the two weeks that straddle the Easter holiday are usually a peak time as well. People have time off, and combine formal holidays with personal time to have a week or more off work. This allows them to do pilgrimage.

Now that Easter / Semana Santa is behind us, the daily numbers arriving at the Pilgrim Office should start to go back to normal, probably next week, after 23 April.

Easter does; however, mark the start of the formal season for pilgrimage. The Pilgrim Office at Santiago increases its opening hours starting after Easter. Now they are open 0800 through 2100 until October.

I hope this helps.

Help it does, @t2andreo!

Just looking at the data, I completely forgot about the Holy Year in 2016 because, as seen in the chart attached, 2016 is "on curve" whereas the prior Holy Years are in stark contrast above it.

Looks like I will be waiting until July or August to make plans.

Thanks for your remarks, much appreciated!

B

Attachments

• Camino Stats 2.pdf
    169 KB · Views: 10
That is why I leave for Lisbon next Tuesday and start from there on Thursday. This puts the entire Easter surge well in front of me, and all the university students well behind me. I am (hopefully) in the trough of two waves.

Doing a Camino and keeping it manageable is partially about timing. It is also about planning ahead. The big "fly in the ointment" on this Camino is the Papal appearance at Fatima, near Coimbra, on 12 and 13 May. I timed my walk by so I get to Porto on 6 May. That should see me avoid most of the rush. But rooms in Porto are going fast for that weekend as people intending to travel to Fatima congregate.

Once I arrange everything I can control, I adopt a stoic and flexible attitude for all those things beyond my ability to manage, control or plan for.

I hope this helps.

That is why I leave for Lisbon next Tuesday and start from there on Thursday. This puts the entire Easter surge well in front of me, and all the university students well behind me. I am (hopefully) in the trough of two waves.
He, he, Tom,

Indeed, some good planning is essential.

I arrive in Lisboa on Friday, spend the weeekend there, and start walkiing on Sunday. Going to Faro first (cheap airfare, then a morning train to Lisboa). May hit you down the road somewhere, although I am 4 days ahead ;):)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Alex, I'll be in Lisbon for work this week - but alas, flying out on Friday at 17.00, so I guess we won't meet...

He, he, Tom,

Indeed, some good planning is essential.

I arrive in Lisboa on Friday, spend the weeekend there, and start walkiing on Sunday. Going to Faro first (cheap airfare, then a morning train to Lisboa). May hit you down the road somewhere, although I am 4 days ahead ;):)

Alex, send me a PM with your e-mail so I can send you a list of my pre-booked accommodations. The Lisbon route has some awful long walking days that I will likely have to use a taxi on to complete the segment, or to reach the next accommodation. My days of walking 35 km are over.

It is very likely that I will catch you up before Porto. I have reservations to stay near the university at Porto for two nights 6-7 May.

Hope to see you out there. It has been a while.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It may be too early to call it but the first quarter of 2017 shows a distinct reduction in pilgrim numbers compared to first quarter of 2016.

1st quarter 2016 = 14,104 pilgrims showed up at the pilgrim office.
1st quarter 2017 = 8,227 " " " " "

That is almost 42% reduction.

2016 was a Holy Year, albeit not specifically a Compostelan one.

People were wondering if this would lead to a spot increase of the number of pilgrims, and so it would seem that it did IMO.

Alex, send me a PM with your e-mail so I can send you a list of my pre-booked accommodations. The Lisbon route has some awful long walking days that I will likely have to use a taxi on to complete the segment, or to reach the next accommodation. My days of walking 35 km are over.

It is very likely that I will catch you up before Porto. I have reservations to stay near the university at Porto for two nights 6-7 May.

Hope to see you out there. It has been a while.
PM sent. Going to bed in 6 hours: Very early plane tomorrow to Faro, then train to Lisboa Friday. I will divide some days: 1st day 37 kms will be divided in 2: 20 + 17 kms. I will also have two short days some later: Stopping in Conimbriga too for the Roman ruins, so another long day split in two. Other than that; taking my time, turtle-like.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back