• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Peak Winter - Sleeping Bag

vlebe

Walker Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2001; 2004; 2009; 2013, 2016.....
Hi there dear pilgrims.

For those of you who have walked any of the caminos during peak winter ( december ).

Could anyone recommend a good Sleeping bag? I`m starting to organize my gear for my next Camino Journey and I`m wondering what would be a good option for heat/weight/price ratio.

I own a couple of options here but they are for -20 Celsius, thus heavy. At first I`m, thinking that something for Zero degrees Celsius (comfort) would be a good option.

Regarding sleeping bags ( with or without liners) Any ideas? thoughts? concerns? judgments? combinations? etc?

Please feel free to let them flow!

Thank you very much indeed!

Ps: I couldn`t find a thread specific for winter seeping bags.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry... I have just found other threads that could help me :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I will still appreciate any inputs though!

Ultreya!

Last edited:
Hi @vlebe - I used a -7c Asolo Torino for my January/February Camino a few years back. It's a down bag weighing in around 3lb 4oz. I can say that many nights I would have been fine with a 0c bag however there were a few nights where I was bordering on cold in my -7c bag! There will be few Albergues open and those that are often don't have any heat turned on that time of the year. If I went in winter again I would now consider carrying a 0c bag (lighter in weight than mine) along with a Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme mummy bag liner. The overall weight should be less and on the nights when it isn't too cold I'd be more comfortable. For my recent spring Camino I used a Thermorest Down Sleeping Quilt that is good to 0c so that may be an option to explore as it was nice and little and extraordinarily comfortable!
Good luck and Buen Camino
Jordon

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would second what @jozero has said. Last year I walked the Camino Ingles in early January. On one night I slept in an unheated albergue where the temperature was close to freezing. I was using a warm but lightweight bag rated for comfort to 0C and extremes closer to -10C. I still found myself wearing both long thermal underwear and an additional layer top and bottom. Other albergues were heated but not necessarily to the temperature one might expect at home. I would err on the side of caution if planning a winter trip.

In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. All night heating is not the norm hence make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the bag to block the cold air from rising.

Runner's winter tights, a long sleeve runner's shirt and loose socks as well as a warm hat are great to wear to bunk/bed wben it is really cold. Over the past years the coldest I have ever slept on the camino was late February 2006 in the then unheated Hornillos del Camino municipal albergue. Breath hung white in the frigid interior air and ice formed in the toilet bowl. Nevertheless dressed as above I was snug in my sleeping bag and liner.

For additional posts re cold weather sleeping see this recent Forum thread. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sleeping-system-for-cold-weather.40968/

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.