• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Peanut Butter in Spain

Bajaracer

Camino Frances 2013 Jun-Jul SJPDP to Finisterre
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013) Jun-Jul SJPDP to Finisterre
http://www.alimentacionvarma.com/en/capitan-mani.html
Capitan Mani is the brand of peanut I saw at Supersol in Rota, Andalusia, (it's down the street from a US Navy base) I was told that Carrefour carries this brand as well.
I was wondering if someone with a better fluency in Spanish than I could contact the company and see what stores sell it along the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Confraternity of St James albergue at Miraz on the del Norte had peanut butter AND Vegemite on the breakfast table 5 weeks ago. The peanut butter may be gone by now, but I would be sure that some Vege would be left. I have not seen it for sale in Spain.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

http://www.alimentacionvarma.com/en/capitan-mani.html
Capitan Mani is the brand of peanut I saw at Supersol in Rota, Andalusia, (it's down the street from a US Navy base) I was told that Carrefour carries this brand as well.
I was wondering if someone with a better fluency in Spanish than I could contact the company and see what stores sell it along the Camino.

Hi, Bajaracer, I sent an email to the address listed on the website and will let you know what I hear. Though I am not a peanut butter fan, I understand where you are coming from. When I spent a year in Brazil with my then 4 and 8 year olds, I brought 16 pounds of natural ground peanut butter on the plane. By the end of the year, my kids much preferred beans and rice to peanut butter, but I was glad we had it.

Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As would be haggis. It takes Australians and Scots to gobble them up!;)
Now Falcon! The reason why there's some Vegemite left at Miraz is that the hospitaleros didn't educate non-Aussie pilgrims on how Vegemite is best enjoyed ... spread thickly ... much like jam or Nutella ...!

Hi, Bajaracer, I sent an email to the address listed on the website and will let you know what I hear. Though I am not a peanut butter fan, I understand where you are coming from. When I spent a year in Brazil with my then 4 and 8 year olds, I brought 16 pounds of natural ground peanut butter on the plane. By the end of the year, my kids much preferred beans and rice to peanut butter, but I was glad we had it.

Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you so much! I'm sure a future pilgrim might appreciate it.

Now Falcon! The reason why there's some Vegemite left at Miraz is that the hospitaleros didn't educate non-Aussie pilgrims on how Vegemite is best enjoyed ... spread thickly ... much like jam or Nutella ...!

And don't forget the magical combos: peanut butter and vegemite; honey and vegemite. A French fiend described the latter as being "almost good"

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And don't forget the magical combos: peanut butter and vegemite; honey and vegemite. A French fiend described the latter as being "almost good"
I've never heard of that! I love both peanut butter and vegemite but have never considered combining them. Maybe I'll give it a go....

My husband loves Marmite, (the English kind of VegeMite) we get it shipped over from UK via Amazon, or buy it at the supermarkets down in Andalucia where the expats live. He loves it on tostadas, with a drizzle of olive oil.
You can buy SunPat peanut butter at Carrefour in Leon and some other brand at SuperCor/Corte Ingles supermarkets along the Caminos, but the price is extortionate. I like Jif Extra Crunchy, and people who love me bring me jars when they visit from USA. The natural PB from the Netherlands is yummy too. (I have to hide my peanut butter when Dutch pilgrims stay here, or it´s all gone in the morning, alas!)

re Vegemite combos - I have tasty cheese and vegemite on cracker biscuits for supper every night.

The kindest comment I heard from the peregrinos at Miraz was a Russian girl who said that the taste was "interesting".

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wonderful stuff, Vegemite,good for mouth ulcers,replacement for axle grease,water repellent for leather boots,hair restorer (so I'm told ),the original sun-block.....I'm never without it..........:)........Vicrev.

Wonderful stuff, Vegemite,good for mouth ulcers,replacement for axle grease,water repellent for leather boots,hair restorer (so I'm told ),the original sun-block.....I'm never without it..........:)........Vicrev.
Vicrev - you're a fountain of information! Now, regarding the hair restoration qualities of vegemite ... (not that I have this problem of course!) do you EAT it or SPREAD IT ON A BALD PATE to achieve the desired results???? !!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I got a very quick reply from the company. Here are all the stores where you can find their peanut butter on the Frances. I'm sure they would be happy to provide info on availability on other caminos, if anyone is interested. Just let me know.

- Pamplona: Leclerc, El corte inglés, el nuevo HIPERCOR
- Burgos: ALCAMPO, Carrefour y HIPERCOR
- Logroño: ALCAMPO Carrefour
- León: El corte inglés y Carrefour
- Ponferrada: Carrefour y GADISA

I bet we can get it in Madrid as well, right Laurie?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why anyone would eat peanut butter in a land where good octopus is so readily available is beyond me!

Hi Bajarecer
I asked the company too , but Laurie has anticipated here the answer. I agree with others that you should try spanish delicatessen such as Oreja (pigs´ ears) or Callos con Garbanzos (cow innards with chikpeas). (Of course I'm joking don't do it).
But why not peanut butter?. Everybody needs from time to time his/her favourite food.

Bo camiño

I tried rubbing it on my head,Jenny,it worked in as far as hair sprouting everywhere else.....I now look like a bald Orango-tang..;)..........keep smiling....Vicrev

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
[quote="Rebekah Scott, post: 172443, member: 271"Marmite, (the English kind of VegeMite)

PLEASE, there is no comparison, this is SACRILEGE ....accept no substitutes, Marmite is a class all of its own. Vegemite...NOOOOOO!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I bet we can get it in Madrid as well, right Laurie?

Another quick response from the company. Here are the places where you can buy their peanut butter in Madrid and environs:

- Alcampo
- Carrefour
- E.LECLERC
- S. Romero
- Villas de Madrid
- Caprabo
- Makro

I will leave the marmite/vegemite scouting (and debate) to someone else. Buen camino, Laurie

This is great, Laurie! Thanks so much for sleuthing the peanut butter! We'll pick some up in Madrid before heading off to Caceres.

lynne

In Spain, I don't eat anything that doesn't go well with vino:)

Vegemite, marmite; acquired taste and not so much for me. But Peanut buttah... Love it! But hey I'm American. Looked for it A LOT in Spain finally found some in Andalusia. But NOWHERE on the French route did I find Peanut butter. I'm glad to know it is available I just never saw it and I looked long and hard... Whoop, whoop...
Good luck!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Vegemite, marmite; acquired taste and not so much for me. But Peanut buttah... Love it! But hey I'm American. Looked for it A LOT in Spain finally found some in Andalusia. But NOWHERE on the French route did I find Peanut butter. I'm glad to know it is available I just never saw it and I looked long and hard... Whoop, whoop...
Good luck!
Hello Robin--haven't seen you since London!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nobody asked but I thought I would take the opportunity to reassure forum members, who are considering a Shikoku or Kumano pilgrimage, that peanut butter in crunchy and smooth varieties is available.

C3F7AB93-E7B2-4189-9721-427381F4A184.jpeg

Also peanut paste, peanut cream, Japanese creamy peanut butter (perfectly vile), sugar toast spread, sweet bean (an) spread, Nutella, black sesame and sweet bean spread, kinako (ground, roasted, soy bean) spread, black sesame spread, almond butter, and walnut butter (sold out today).

[To be fair, you won’t find all of these in rural Shikoku].

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back