• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pedicures along the Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto Camino-Senda Litoral-Spiritual Var 2023
Hi, all! I'm very excited about walking my first camino - Porto Coastal. I leave the US in less than 2 weeks and am working on my final prepping and packing. I'm trying to keep my pack as light as possible and would prefer to leave my heavy nail clippers home. I should be okay but just in case I need my toenails trimmed:

Are there places along the camino that offer pedicures?

Thank you for your responses.

Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, of course, the Camino is littered with beauticians and hair dressing salons, aside from tonal therapies!
Seriously, be prepared for your feet to groan with abuse. As necessary you can always pick up small nail clippers or scissors when in Spain.

Have a good one Hiking Traveler.

Yes, of course, the Camino is littered with beauticians and hair dressing salons, aside from tonal therapies!
Seriously, be prepared for your feet to groan with abuse. As necessary you can always pick up small nail clippers or scissors when in Spain.

Have a good one Hiking Traveler.
Thank you so much for this reassurance.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, all! I'm very excited about walking my first camino - Porto Coastal. I leave the US in less than 2 weeks and am working on my final prepping and packing. I'm trying to keep my pack as light as possible and would prefer to leave my heavy nail clippers home. I should be okay but just in case I need my toenails trimmed:

Buen camino!
I brought the toe nail clippers with me, there was no weight to speak of

Buen camino!
Seriously? It’s not a Thai spa resort.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Buen camino!

Literally the only thing I bought on my first Camino was a pair on nail clippers along the way.

I never got a blister but the nail of my shortest toe cut through the next toe and I had a sock full of blood.

I personally would carry the nail clippers.

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'd just advise refraining from getting your hard skin reduced until after your return from finishing, as thicker foot leather is pretty much the best protection against blisters.
Thick skin can develop painful cracks, and it is possible to develop blisters under calluses, which can be harder to treat.

Literally the only thing I bought on my first Camino was a pair on nail clippers along the way.

I never got a blister but the nail of my shortest toe cut through the next toe and I had a sock full of blood.

I personally would carry the nail clippers.

Buen Camino
Good to know.

Thick skin can develop painful cracks, and it is possible to develop blisters under calluses, which can be harder to treat.
So need to find a balance. I have tons of miles on my feet and have been blessed with barely any blisters. I will see if I have a salve I can pack to keep hard calluses somewhat soft. Thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So need to find a balance. I have tons of miles on my feet and have been blessed with barely any blisters. I will see if I have a salve I can pack to keep hard calluses somewhat soft. Thank you.
As with everything else, we all need to find what works best for us. There is no one size fits all advice - finding a balance is so important.

When it's in the process of leathering up, yes, as it needs to simultaneously stretch and thicken.

The whole business is also more difficult for women than it is for men, nevertheless, to deliberately soften the skin of one's feet whilst hiking is to risk blistering.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'd just advise refraining from getting your hard skin reduced until after your return from finishing, as thicker foot leather is pretty much the best protection against blisters.
I have a different viewpoint concerning old hard skin and long distance walking. My neighbour was a fell runner and he swore by keeping your feet as soft as possible. He used to soak his feet daily to maintain them callous free. He used to run the Penine way long distance route which is 429 KM in less than three days! He occasionally ran it there and back after having a pint in Kirk Yetholm because he did not want to wait for the bus!
I have never fell run my feet are currently extremely calloused which I am in the process of removing after soaking in warm water with added epsom salts and slathering on the O'Keefes foot balm. All in the hope of being ready for a Camino in September. I just wished I had found out about chiropodists at an earlier age.

I have a different viewpoint concerning old hard skin and long distance walking. My neighbour was a fell runner and he swore by keeping your feet as soft as possible. He used to soak his feet daily to maintain them callous free. He used to run the Penine way long distance route which is 429 KM in less than three days! He occasionally ran it there and back after having a pint in Kirk Yetholm because he did not want to wait for the bus!
I have never fell run my feet are currently extremely calloused which I am in the process of removing after soaking in warm water with added epsom salts and slathering on the O'Keefes foot balm. All in the hope of being ready for a Camino in September. I just wished I had found out about chiropodists at an earlier age.
OK, and as someone has accurately reminded us, there's no one size fits all solution - - though I must point out that my own foot leather is thick, but not hard. Calluses are not leather, and the best leather hiking boots are soft leather, not hard.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When it's in the process of leathering up, yes, as it needs to simultaneously stretch and thicken.

The whole business is also more difficult for women than it is for men, nevertheless, to deliberately soften the skin of one's feet whilst hiking is to risk blistering.
I always make make sure all hard skin and callouses are removed before a Camino. Nothing worse than a deep blister under hard skin. I pre-tape prone areas and seldom get a blister.
I do always keep nails well trimmed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Why be condescending? (also slightly sexist). No shame in foot maintenance. It's what carries us to Santiago...

Lord knows how many threads on this forum devoted to the endless pontification of boots, trail runners, inserts, sandals, smart wool socks, liners vs. no liners.
It’s not sexist

Buen camino!
Years ago, I bought a little nail kit from Dollar Tree (which we now must call 5 Quarters). In it was a small nail clipper. I had my doubts, but yippee! it does the trick and weighs next to nothing. Secondly, I have some sort of rough, black file like an emery board, only jumbo and heavy-duty--I think it may be used by nail salon folks to keep those heavy fake nails trimmed. It's about 6 inches long and an inch wide. I got it at Sally Beauty. It quickly sands down an obstinate nail and it also works if I have rough heels. I cut it half since I don't need the whole thing on a pilgrimage. And lastly, I have a supply of Green Goo foot balm that I use on my pilgrimage every night before bed and often in the morning before putting on my clean socks. It comes in a small, lightweight tin.
BTW, on a pilgrimage I sometimes buy a small sack of kosher-type salt (1 euro) and soak my tired dawgs at the albergue that evening in hot water. I'll take another handful or two with me (a small zip bag comes in handy) to soak my feet the next night if I think I'll need it, and leave the rest of the salt for future pilgrims.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Years ago, I bought a little nail kit from Dollar Tree (which we now must call 5 Quarters). In it was a small nail clipper. I had my doubts, but yippee! it does the trick and weighs next to nothing. Secondly, I have some sort of rough, black file like an emery board, only jumbo and heavy-duty--I think it may be used by nail salon folks to keep those heavy fake nails trimmed. It's about 6 inches long and an inch wide. I got it at Sally Beauty. It quickly sands down an obstinate nail and it also works if I have rough heels. I cut it half since I don't need the whole thing on a pilgrimage. And lastly, I have a supply of Green Goo foot balm that I use on my pilgrimage every night before bed and often in the morning before putting on my clean socks. It comes in a small, lightweight tin.
BTW, on a pilgrimage I sometimes buy a small sack of kosher-type salt (1 euro) and soak my tired dawgs at the albergue that evening in hot water. I'll take another handful or two with me (a small zip bag comes in handy) to soak my feet the next night if I think I'll need it, and leave the rest of the salt for future pilgrims.
Excellent advice. Thank you.

If you're staying in albergues it's pretty likely that someone else will have brought nail clippers and be happy to lend them. You could always offer to sterilise them afterwards if you think anyone might be super fastidious.

We get our nails professionally done before we leave home as it helps prevent black toes, amongst others!!

In Spain the Chinese hardware stores are everywhere and stock everything (Scissors, nail clippers etc.) I've not done the CP but I'd be surprised if you cant find the stores if you need them.

But, if its important to you, there is no problem packing them. Just watch out you don't get it confiscated at security. Mine had a fold away file on it and I had to break it off before they would let me take it through security (This was from the UK)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you're staying in albergues it's pretty likely that someone else will have brought nail clippers and be happy to lend them. You could always offer to sterilise them afterwards if you think anyone might be super fastidious.
If they are going to sterilise them, how would that be? With the alcohol that they carried, or would they need to use the alcohol that you carried along with the clippers? o_O
Better just to bring your own clippers!

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.