A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Pedra Furada

Santiago Photo Book

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia, May 2016
C. Frances, Sept 2017
Camino Portugues, June 2019
I haven't seen anyone mention this funny little town between Rates and Barcelos on the Portugues. It is named for a large stone with a hole in it sitting next to the church. The story is that a saint was buried alive and he escaped by poking his head through this rock, creating the hole. From what I read, the rock pre-dates the ch Jill with holey rock.jpg urch and town. It's a strange thing - not perfectly round like a millstone. I wonder if it is Roman.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I haven't seen anyone mention this funny little town between Rates and Barcelos on the Portugues. It is named for a large stone with a hole in it sitting next to the church. The story is that a saint was buried alive and he escaped by poking his head through this rock, creating the hole. From what I read, the rock pre-dates the chView attachment 62096urch and town. It's a strange thing - not perfectly round like a millstone. I wonder if it is Roman.
I missed it, Jill, in early May this year! Bummer!

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Camino(s) past & future
Inglés, '14 '17 Finisterre, '14 '17 '18 Primitivo, '15 '18 Portuguese, '17, '18 San Salvador, '18
Hey there @JillGat. I remember the church, and the albergue there, even took a photo as I passed by. However, didn't know about the stone or the legend. Thank-you! I was able to find the stone on Google maps, street view! I will be sure to find it the next time! Very interesting legend. I also would be curious as to the stone's actual origin, if anyone knows.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia, May 2016
C. Frances, Sept 2017
Camino Portugues, June 2019
I first read about this rock and went looking for it at the wrong church in the wrong town. (I didn't see any town names). When I saw this up on a balcony, I knew I was on the right track. None of the pilgrims I met had heard of it.

Attachments

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Camino(s) past & future
Inglés, '14 '17 Finisterre, '14 '17 '18 Primitivo, '15 '18 Portuguese, '17, '18 San Salvador, '18
I first read about this rock and went looking for it at the wrong church in the wrong town. (I didn't see any town names). When I saw this up on a balcony, I knew I was on the right track. None of the pilgrims I met had heard of it.
Yes, it's a shame how many of us, ignorant of the amazing history of most of these places, just walk on by! That's why this forum is so valuable! I can update my eBooks when I see such great information, that often comes from astute pilgrims like you!

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
David Tallan Camino Portugues 8
OLDER threads on this topic
If anyone is passing through Pedra Furada...

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 44 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 268 24.5%